This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

astral projection

I just found out that something that happens to me during meditation is actually astral projection! I'm curious about other people's experiences with it. have you astral projected? did it come easily or with work? what did you experience?

Re: astral projection

What is astral projection?

Comment

Originally posted by owlsandtigers View Post
      I just found out that something that happens to me during meditation is actually astral projection! I'm curious about other people's experiences with it. have you astral projected? did it come easily or with work? what did you experience?
      I've never been able to manage astral projection easily. I can journey into the Otherworlds, but the Astral Plane? Eh.

I think part of the issue is that I never found much of a purpose for AP. Couple that with the fact that I'm a naturally very grounded person and the effort to drag my hame out of my lich just never seemed worth it. Some people consider journeying a form of AP, and I suppose it is in a loose sense. But if that's the case go figure how I manage one but not the other lol

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by AutumnFox View Post
      What is astral projection?
      Astral projection is where you separate your astral body from the physical and travel around in the Astral Plane. It's often called an 'out of body experience' and lots of people also do it in their sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by owlsandtigers View Post
        I have only legitimately done it once and it was a deliberate effort. It was when I was a teenager and experiencing a severe bout of hardship with my mental illness. I managed to "shunt" my "consciousness" out of my body - much like what is sometimes described with near-death experiences, I was then hovering above my body and looking down at the room around me from the ceiling. I looked at the top of the cupboards (an area that was too high to be normally accessed) and perceived what I thought was just a round white circle.

When I managed to snap back into my body, I was shaken and a bit skeptical to be honest. Out of sheer curiosity, I got a chair and reached into the small space between the ceiling and the top of the cupboards from my experience to see if I could feel something circular that would explain the shape that I saw - I was pretty surprised when I grabbed a round, white plastic icecream tub lid.

Comment

Since an experience as a kid I have been able to go somewhere. I do not know where it is that I go, but I know some of the landscape and entities. They are not 'human', I don't know what they are. As time has went by I have been able to go there longer and experience more and more detail, I know their names. It is like I am an observer, or I have had thoughts that I might be one of the specific entities, maybe in a past life, or future life? I feel like I am often looking through this character's eyes. I find myself wanting to go there many times a day, and is usually what I do when I lie down to sleep, I start thinking about that place and I go there. I find that I have learned to use music to go there more easily, if this makes sense. I can start listening to the music and it helps me lose myself to go there. This most likely sounds nuts as well, you are not alone.
          For awhile I have thought this might be what astral projection is, but now that I read Rae'ya's response, I wonder if it is something else.

Comment

Originally posted by shebani View Post
            For awhile I have thought this might be what astral projection is, but now that I read Rae'ya's response, I wonder if it is something else.
            In my experience, we can travel to places other than the Astral Plane... the Otherworlds, being external worlds other than this one (the Nine Worlds of Northern faiths for example) and the Innerworlds, being our own internal landscape (which is usually where guided meditations and core-shamanic 'journeys' take us). The Astral Plane is generally a mirror of this world... it's where our astral bodies roam when they aren't rooted into our bodies (during sleep for some people), where earthbound spirits sometimes end up, where astral nasties lurk waiting for someone to hook onto, where some people go to perform remote viewing, and where you are when you have the 'floating above your body' experience. The Astral Plane is also a launching pad for other travel - in that many people go through it before heading off to their Land of the Dead (near death experiences often describe this) or before moving into the Otherworlds.

For the most part, the Astral Plane is easy to recognise but knowing the difference between the Otherworlds and the Innerworlds is trickier. Basically the Otherworlds is an external set of realms, filled with external beings who may or may not be aware of your presence and who may or may not care about you or be inclined to not attack you on sight. The Innerworlds (a term coined by an old friend of mine that I use because it's just so perfect) is ruled by the subconscious and can sometimes seem to be external, but is ultimately filled with beings and events that you can gain some measure of control over with a bit of work. Whenever you see a guided meditation, a 'journey' to meet a spirit guide or 'totem/power animal', and most soul retrievals... that's usually Innerworlds. I'm simplifying but that's the general gist.

Comment

Some folks do this without even wanting to. I met a man once who complained about projecting all the time, so I looked and realized that he was slightly removed from his body even as he spoke to me, like he was standing beside himself. I do not understand why some people are firmly attached and others are not.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by nbdy View Post
                Some folks do this without even wanting to. I met a man once who complained about projecting all the time, so I looked and realized that he was slightly removed from his body even as he spoke to me, like he was standing beside himself. I do not understand why some people are firmly attached and others are not.
                It's interesting, isn't it? For me, separating my hame (astral body) and lich (physical body) is like pulling teeth. But keeping a solid and healthy ground is automatic and second-nature, which makes shielding and astral hygiene ridiculously easy for me. But for others it's the direct opposite. In some cases it's very understandable... things like mental illness, self confidence issues and gender identity can make it difficult to be fully present in the physical body. But sometimes it's just the way that people are wired.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                  In my experience, we can travel to places other than the Astral Plane... the Otherworlds, being external worlds other than this one (the Nine Worlds of Northern faiths for example) and the Innerworlds, being our own internal landscape (which is usually where guided meditations and core-shamanic 'journeys' take us). The Astral Plane is generally a mirror of this world... it's where our astral bodies roam when they aren't rooted into our bodies (during sleep for some people), where earthbound spirits sometimes end up, where astral nasties lurk waiting for someone to hook onto, where some people go to perform remote viewing, and where you are when you have the 'floating above your body' experience. The Astral Plane is also a launching pad for other travel - in that many people go through it before heading off to their Land of the Dead (near death experiences often describe this) or before moving into the Otherworlds.

For the most part, the Astral Plane is easy to recognise but knowing the difference between the Otherworlds and the Innerworlds is trickier. Basically the Otherworlds is an external set of realms, filled with external beings who may or may not be aware of your presence and who may or may not care about you or be inclined to not attack you on sight. The Innerworlds (a term coined by an old friend of mine that I use because it's just so perfect) is ruled by the subconscious and can sometimes seem to be external, but is ultimately filled with beings and events that you can gain some measure of control over with a bit of work. Whenever you see a guided meditation, a 'journey' to meet a spirit guide or 'totem/power animal', and most soul retrievals... that's usually Innerworlds. I'm simplifying but that's the general gist.

Thank you Rea'ya, this is very helpful. The beings where I go are extremely benevolent, I get great council from there by seeing how they react to things and how they live, how they live together. I am aware though that they know of other beings that are not like this, and that in the past have attacked them to root them out and exterminate them. I have seen glimpses, certain beings recalling memories of this event and they are not something I would ever want to come in contact with.

I think it is amazing to have places like this where we can talk about these things without being labeled by general society and try to get advice on what it all is.

Comment

I often engage in astral projection and have taught a number of others to do so (or other related skills like temple building, spirit communication, astral navigation, shadowing, etc.). I couldn't answer your initial question in the amount of space and time I've got for a forum response, but I'd be happy to answer any specific question you might have (from my particular point of view, at least).

I’ll also add that there are a number of ways of categorizing and codifying astral experiences that mimic space-time. And, as many of them overlap in useful ways, I suggest considering any and all of them rather than sticking to just one.
                    OO

Book of Spirals is my author site.
                    The Sentient Hillside is my blog.
                    Spiral Tree is an ezine for pagans I co-founded.

Comment

Ever since I first read about astral travel/projection, I've always wished I could experience this. I've tried all kinds of different techniques to learn how to do it, but I've never had any success. I think it's just one of those things that I'm just not wired to do easily.

There's been a time or two where I've felt very close to breaking free, but I can never seem to quite manage it. During those times, I can feel something stretching, and I feel floaty and disconnected. Then I hesitate or have a moment of fear and I snap back. It got to the point where I was getting so frustrated with myself that I just decided it was training that could be left on the back burner and I haven't tried again for quite a while.

This thread has got me thinking about it again, so I might start doing the mental exercises again in my daily routine; I'd still really like to be able to achieve this someday.

Comment

It comes fairly easy to me, has for as long as I can remember. Although if I want to project and check out places or people on our plane of existence, I have a harder time with it. But actually getting to the Astral realm, almost no problems. Sometimes I fall into it without meaning to, other times I can feel the sensation coming on and decide whether or not I want to go. It can be extremely annoying, especially when you have kids and you're a SAHM. Most of the time it happens when I'm laying in bed or at the computer.

Sometimes I use it as a means to journey to the Spirit World, but I prefer to take a different road--a more controlled road where I specifically know where I'm going, instead of just falling into it, so to speak. I'm never alone, I either have a Spirit Guide or some type of ward with me. I never know when it's going to happen, so I like to keep some type of protection on me at all times. The Astral can be a pretty nasty place if you're not prepared. Luckily, I have my Guides who're protective; once I was approached by a dark canine form. I was respectful and cautious like I always am (afterall, you're in their world), but my Spirit Animals were quick to yank me out of there. If I'm not ready to handle something, they keep me from it. Luckily, the Astral isn't always fret with danger for me. It's very rare, actually. I'm lucky to have Guides with me while I'm there (most of the time), from what I've read, a lot of people go into it alone. It's not always a scary place, but it is smarter to be prepared.
                        Last edited by DyslexicPagan; 09 Jul 2014, 10:12. Reason: dyslexic issues

Comment

Working...
                        X