This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wicca in a Norse Context?

I know that "Wiccatru" or "Norse Wicca" is a highly controversial thing, so I'm gonna start by saying that those are not what I'm referring to here. However, my question may be just as controversial, so I'll just ask that everyone please be respectful. I'm just asking because I'm curious and want to learn from the more experienced.

Is there anyone out there who practices Wicca or a similar belief system in a Norse-inspired context? Such as having a Blot, using runes, Norse imagery and language, etc.?

Hopefully this wasn't confusing and that I'll get some enlightening answers. Thanks!

Re: Wicca in a Norse Context?

Originally posted by chris_pagan View Post
    I know that "Wiccatru" or "Norse Wicca" is a highly controversial thing, so I'm gonna start by saying that those are not what I'm referring to here. However, my question may be just as controversial, so I'll just ask that everyone please be respectful. I'm just asking because I'm curious and want to learn from the more experienced.

Is there anyone out there who practices Wicca or a similar belief system in a Norse-inspired context? Such as having a Blot, using runes, Norse imagery and language, etc.?

Hopefully this wasn't confusing and that I'll get some enlightening answers. Thanks!
    I would generally begin by asking you what "Wiccan" practices you are looking to combine with Norse-inspired content? For example, when you are talking about people who practice "Wicca or similar", what do you mean? What specific "Wiccan" themes do you mean?

I ask because there are those who practice what is generally considered to be "Northern Tradition" - a non-reconstructionist spiritual tradition that draws upon many different aspects of the religious beliefs and practices of ancient Scandinavian peoples such as Runes, deities, Wyrd, etc. My understanding is that Northern Tradition is a more flexible tradition than something such as Asatru, whose practitioners can be quite particular.

Comment

There are lots of people who practice neo-Wiccan paths with Norse or Anglo Saxon influences. It can be controversial in Heathen and Northern Tradition circles, but its not uncommon.

Though I'm a little confused by your statement that you aren't talking about Norse Wicca type paths... because that's exactly what 'Wicca in a Norse inspired context' is.

Comment

I've never heard of any rule that says you can't be Wiccan and revere the Norse gods, use runes, etc.
        As for "Wiccatru" and its associated controversy, let the haters hate.
        I understand that you can't directly combine Asatru and Wicca. They are two vastly different belief systems. But I see nothing wrong with choosing to honour Norse deities within a Wiccan framework.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Artemisia View Post
          I've never heard of any rule that says you can't be Wiccan and revere the Norse gods, use runes, etc.
          I used to do this. Go for it
          ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
          Seen the desert and the birds
          You cut your hair short
          Like a shush to an insult
          The world had been yelling
          Since the day you were born
          Revolting with anger
          While it smiled like it was cute
          That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Artemisia View Post
            As for "Wiccatru" and its associated controversy, let the haters hate.
            I'm one of those 'live and let live' sorts of people... I may not agree with a person's religious choices and practices, but I figure as long a they aren't hurting anyone then they can believe whatever makes them happy.

But... I honestly find the name 'Wiccatru' kind of silly. 'Asatru' literally means 'true to the gods'. So 'Wiccatru' therefore means... 'true to Wicca'. Appropriating the term kind of missed the point lol

Comment

Working...
            X