This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about Rastafarianism

Is it technically an Abrahamic religion or do they even mention Abraham? Is it a sect of Christianity they accept Rasta Fari as Christ or is it entirely different? I'm wondering if they read the Holy Bible or something else. Are they the only ones that speak about Cannabis or do other religions revere it. Why is it popular in Jamaica and yet I haven't seen a significant populations of Rastafarians in Ethiopia, which they consider most holy.

Has anyone talked to or interacted with Rastafarians? If so, what was it like?

Re: Questions about Rastafarianism

I think it has to be Abrahamic as they think Haile Selasie is the second coming of Christ, who was a descendant of Abraham.
    White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
    sigpic
    In Days of yore,
    From Britain's shore
    Wolfe the dauntless hero came
    And planted firm Britannia's flag
    On Canada's fair domain.
    Here may it wave,
    Our boast, our pride
    And joined in love together,
    The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
    The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

They're a Christian offshoot. They read & quote the Bible, but they quote & sing Bob Marley more. There is a bit in the Bible somewhere (probably Genesis[?]) where God gives someone the herbs off the ground, or something like that. The Rastas take that as a specific reference to Boo, but the Boo smoking probably came first, and the justification later, methinks.

They also have funny hair, wear brightly colored bonnets.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Well Marley had influence but they seem to quote the bible more than other texts, but why isn't there a significant population in Ethiopia. You'd think they'd move there instead of staying in Jamaica. Also they seem to have a great dislike of Babylon as well.

Comment

Working...
        X