Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking Resources for Spells and Rituals?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking Resources for Spells and Rituals?

Hello all! I am new here. While I'm not new to the Pagan faith, per se, I'm always seeking knowledge. Particularly along the lines of spells and rituals and what Magik actually is. I've heard these are all deeply personal; i.e. you wouldn't use a spell someone else made. And with all the reasearch I've done on magik, each article makes it even more unclear. I'm kind of at a loss with what a ritual is as well. I've created altars for personal worship, but nothing more than that. Help? ;w;

Re: Seeking Resources for Spells and Rituals?

Hi, Cerdivae Song, I am literally the worst person here to try to answer your question... But I'm going to try 8D!

I'm not Pagan, but my girlfriend is, so here is my second-hand-grapevine attempt at assistance :

Some people use spells other people have made, others work with magic through what they feel is correct. Sort of improvising with the flow and feel of the spells. There are a lot of answers for what magic is, but the answer that has made the most sense to me is it spiritual energy. Just as energy can be taken into the body through food, or transferred between electronic devices via cords, so magical energy can.

Thing is, as was explained to me the day I joined this forum: if you ask 20 Pagans what Paganism is, you'll get 30 answers (heck, same thing is true of my religion :P ), and the same is probably true of the nature of magic. The important part is that you find something that feels right to you, and feels like that is how it functions in your understanding.

Rituals can be big things reading off of a text, and following a long set of directions, or your own simple devising as well. Some Pagans consider simply staying up to watch the sun rise, or going for a walk in the woods a ritual, but not all.

Anyways, I'll stay here to help if I can till actually qualified people arrive *blushes*.
    hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Hehe, thanks. c: I expect lots of different answers, not to worry. >w< You're just as qualified as everyone else.

Comment

Hi, Cerdivae Song.

The first thing to note about magick and rituals is that they mean nothing on a piece of paper. You begin with an intention, which gives you a purpose for creating/using a spell or ritual and you set it into motion with Will.

I don't personally believe that using someone else's spell or ritual is pointless. As long as you have the Will and understand how to manipulate energy, you are capable of making anything succeed.

As for what Magick actually *is* - I have always seconded Crowley's definition of Magick: "the science and art of causing change to occur in conformity with Will". Some regard it is an ability to manipulate one's environment through focusing and projecting thoughts as energy - such energy causing change in the subtle and unseen aspects around us such as subatomic particles. Of course, little can be verifiably "proven" - and there are as many definitions of what Magick is as there are minds to conjure them.

Are you looking, more or less, for input in regards to how to consistently create your own spells and rituals?

Comment

Okay, hi. I am Malflick's aforementioned Pagan Girlfriend! (I feel like that's how I always introduce myself on this site lol...he usually finds posts and says "Nightingale you gotta answer this because idk how to!" alas, I don't actually spend as much time on this website as I probably should. but I digress.)

Malflick did a pretty good job explaining Magic (or rather, repeating what I said when I explained it to him lol.) Spiritual energy is a really good way of seeing it, I think. I see Magic as the energy that ties the Universe together. It makes a web of sorts connecting every living being to each other and to the planet itself. I have seen and heard a lot of different explanations for Magic, so I think it sort of manifests itself differently for different people (as does most everything else.) You are the only one who can really decide what Magic means to you, or even if you believe in it at all, but to me, it's a powerful energy that comes from the cosmos, or from all around us, and can be used for good or ill. If you want to work with it, you have to have an immense amount of control.

Spells are always rather difficult for me to describe. I have done several of them in my time, but they are rather personal. You can use other people's spells if you want to, or you can write your own. I used other people's at first until I gathered enough knowledge to write my own, and I found that spells I had written myself tended to work out better for me. You can use tools like candles and incense, salts, oils, the athame and chalice, or anything else you want, or you can just use words, it's really up to you. Whatever you think works best for you. I'll repeat a word of warning I got from an elderly witch when I first started spellcasting: don't arbitrarily cast spells left and right. Only cast if you've exhausted all other options. And you really need to have a strong understanding of what you want to happen. Going on the idea that Magic is the energy that ties the Universe together, you are dealing with a very old, very powerful force when you cast spells, which always demands caution. If you are invoking a god, what is that god known for? Make sure you know that. (I am speaking from the experience of dealing with Loki.) And another word of warning: don't cast spells if you are in an extreme emotional state. Be clear-headed about it. (Again, I speak from experience.) That said, I don't want to scare you away from it: spellcasting can be incredibly fun and very empowering! But you do have to be careful.

For rituals, it's similar to spells and Magic: you can trust tradition, walk the beaten path, or you can go your own way and blaze a new trail. You can take inspiration from other people's ideas for rituals, or you can just make it up as you go along (which is what I tend to do ) It doesn't really have any rules or requirements... some people like having an altar, some people need a whole bunch of pomp and circumstance, and for others, it's simply a shared meal, a lit candle in a window, a whispered prayer. A lot people do rituals on holidays or other special occasions, but some don't, and you can either do them with a large group, a tiny group, just yourself, or not at all. Again, it's up to you to do whatever feels right.

If you want an altar in your ritual, you really just need a flat surface to act as the altar. It doesn't have to be fancy. It can be a dresser top or a trunk, or a plank of wood on top of some piece of furniture. Get an altar cloth of whatever color you feel is appropriate. White is a good all-purpose color. I typically use blankets or bedsheets as mine, but you can use whatever you want to. For things to put on the altar, again, it's up to you. Typical altar decorations include candles, incense, chalice, athame, some kind of representation of the four elements and/or the male and female. Sometimes people decorate their altars with greenery, like holly branches, sometimes people put statues of their gods there. These are all traditional things. I have also heard of somewhat more unorthodox altar decorations, like Pokemon cards for instance. As long as you can see the symbolism of it, it's worth decorating your altar with.

I feel like the short version of that incredibly long answer is basically "just do what feels right to you!" lol. But I hope this information was helpful, and if you need clarification, please feel free to ask me. I enjoy explaining my beliefs and practices to people. Or you can ask someone else to get a second opinion, as they will probably have something different to say than me lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Torey View Post
            Hi, Cerdivae Song.

The first thing to note about magick and rituals is that they mean nothing on a piece of paper. You begin with an intention, which gives you a purpose for creating/using a spell or ritual and you set it into motion with Will.

I don't personally believe that using someone else's spell or ritual is pointless. As long as you have the Will and understand how to manipulate energy, you are capable of making anything succeed.

As for what Magick actually *is* - I have always seconded Crowley's definition of Magick: "the science and art of causing change to occur in conformity with Will". Some regard it is an ability to manipulate one's environment through focusing and projecting thoughts as energy - such energy causing change in the subtle and unseen aspects around us such as subatomic particles. Of course, little can be verifiably "proven" - and there are as many definitions of what Magick is as there are minds to conjure them.

Are you looking, more or less, for input in regards to how to consistently create your own spells and rituals?
            Yes! It would be nice to learn! c: And thanks, your explanation of magik helped me grasp it a bit more.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Nightingale View Post
            Okay, hi. I am Malflick's aforementioned Pagan Girlfriend! (I feel like that's how I always introduce myself on this site lol...he usually finds posts and says "Nightingale you gotta answer this because idk how to!" alas, I don't actually spend as much time on this website as I probably should. but I digress.)

Malflick did a pretty good job explaining Magic (or rather, repeating what I said when I explained it to him lol.) Spiritual energy is a really good way of seeing it, I think. I see Magic as the energy that ties the Universe together. It makes a web of sorts connecting every living being to each other and to the planet itself. I have seen and heard a lot of different explanations for Magic, so I think it sort of manifests itself differently for different people (as does most everything else.) You are the only one who can really decide what Magic means to you, or even if you believe in it at all, but to me, it's a powerful energy that comes from the cosmos, or from all around us, and can be used for good or ill. If you want to work with it, you have to have an immense amount of control.

Spells are always rather difficult for me to describe. I have done several of them in my time, but they are rather personal. You can use other people's spells if you want to, or you can write your own. I used other people's at first until I gathered enough knowledge to write my own, and I found that spells I had written myself tended to work out better for me. You can use tools like candles and incense, salts, oils, the athame and chalice, or anything else you want, or you can just use words, it's really up to you. Whatever you think works best for you. I'll repeat a word of warning I got from an elderly witch when I first started spellcasting: don't arbitrarily cast spells left and right. Only cast if you've exhausted all other options. And you really need to have a strong understanding of what you want to happen. Going on the idea that Magic is the energy that ties the Universe together, you are dealing with a very old, very powerful force when you cast spells, which always demands caution. If you are invoking a god, what is that god known for? Make sure you know that. (I am speaking from the experience of dealing with Loki.) And another word of warning: don't cast spells if you are in an extreme emotional state. Be clear-headed about it. (Again, I speak from experience.) That said, I don't want to scare you away from it: spellcasting can be incredibly fun and very empowering! But you do have to be careful.

For rituals, it's similar to spells and Magic: you can trust tradition, walk the beaten path, or you can go your own way and blaze a new trail. You can take inspiration from other people's ideas for rituals, or you can just make it up as you go along (which is what I tend to do ) It doesn't really have any rules or requirements... some people like having an altar, some people need a whole bunch of pomp and circumstance, and for others, it's simply a shared meal, a lit candle in a window, a whispered prayer. A lot people do rituals on holidays or other special occasions, but some don't, and you can either do them with a large group, a tiny group, just yourself, or not at all. Again, it's up to you to do whatever feels right.

If you want an altar in your ritual, you really just need a flat surface to act as the altar. It doesn't have to be fancy. It can be a dresser top or a trunk, or a plank of wood on top of some piece of furniture. Get an altar cloth of whatever color you feel is appropriate. White is a good all-purpose color. I typically use blankets or bedsheets as mine, but you can use whatever you want to. For things to put on the altar, again, it's up to you. Typical altar decorations include candles, incense, chalice, athame, some kind of representation of the four elements and/or the male and female. Sometimes people decorate their altars with greenery, like holly branches, sometimes people put statues of their gods there. These are all traditional things. I have also heard of somewhat more unorthodox altar decorations, like Pokemon cards for instance. As long as you can see the symbolism of it, it's worth decorating your altar with.

I feel like the short version of that incredibly long answer is basically "just do what feels right to you!" lol. But I hope this information was helpful, and if you need clarification, please feel free to ask me. I enjoy explaining my beliefs and practices to people. Or you can ask someone else to get a second opinion, as they will probably have something different to say than me lol.
            ​Hehe, thanks for your explanations! They were all very insightful. I have heard as much about spells, but not rituals. I have used someone else's spoken word spell before, but I didn't fully understand it, which may have been why it didn't come to pass. I know for certain I have cast a spell of protection before, all that took was a few words from my heart. Which, if that's all it takes, then I understand! c:
            I love making altars. I've made several, all outdoors in my place of worship. I use things that can easily degrade when left alone, or can stand all kinds of weather. And things that won't be harmful to animals if a raccoon or deer gets curious about that colourful thing on that log over there... Which is mostly greenery or food! I also had a small, stone rabbit statue to place on the log for a little fertility charm for Imbolc.
            Thank you for your help. ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Cerdivae Song View Post
              ​Hehe, thanks for your explanations! They were all very insightful. I have heard as much about spells, but not rituals. I have used someone else's spoken word spell before, but I didn't fully understand it, which may have been why it didn't come to pass. I know for certain I have cast a spell of protection before, all that took was a few words from my heart. Which, if that's all it takes, then I understand! c:
              I love making altars. I've made several, all outdoors in my place of worship. I use things that can easily degrade when left alone, or can stand all kinds of weather. And things that won't be harmful to animals if a raccoon or deer gets curious about that colourful thing on that log over there... Which is mostly greenery or food! I also had a small, stone rabbit statue to place on the log for a little fertility charm for Imbolc.
              Thank you for your help. ^^
              That would probably be why it didn't come to pass, if you didn't understand the words. I have tried to cast a healing spell while in high distress (on the verge of tears) before, and it didn't work. Protection spells can absolutely be cast simply with a few meaningful words. That's usually how I cast them. Protection and healing spells are what I usually cast, although I have occasionally tried other kinds as well.
              Your altars sound wonderful! Mine are usually inside, usually on a trunk in my bedroom, but outdoor altars are fantastic

I'm glad I could be helpful!

Comment

Working...
              X