This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pedicures -- Yes, Seriously

A little bit of background, if you will. I grew up as a tomboy and a nerd. This was supported by my mother, to the point that she escalated all the way past the school board and to whatever level she had to go to get the cirriculum changed so that I had an option for high school freshman elective other than Home Ec or Shop. She never encouraged any bias in me, but I developed one. I found I was biased against anything "super feminine" or pink or what I perceived as "fluffy headed". My mind immediately dismissed anything related to the "World of Mani-Pedis".

Ergo, I never experienced a pedicure in my life, nor wanted one. It seemed weird to me, and "fluffy", and kinda demeaning for the person doing it. So I avoided it entirely.

Recently in my life I decided to challenge all of my biases and preconceptions, regardless of what they were, be they silly or serious. This past weekend, I searched for a pedicure place with good reviews near my home, bit my lip, took a breath, and dove in. I didn't have to make an appointment, even.

OH MY EVERYTHING THAT IS HOLY AND SACROSANCT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Words cannot describe the stress that melted away during this experience. The massage chair, the perfectly temperatured bubbling water that my feet soaked in, the scrubbing, the brushes, the lotions, the feet and leg massaging, the hot towel wrapping ...

I melted. I truly did. For a period of time all cares went away. After it was done, I felt refreshed. Truly refreshed. The whole thing was cathartic. And for the low price of $28 for "the full monty". I understand now why folks do this once a month. One bias and preconceived notion destroyed, and happily so. Next time I go, I am taking my husband.

I still do feel weird about a person tending to my feet, and I am at a loss as to what I should do or say to make sure they don't feel demeaned when doing their thing. Or maybe that is just me overthinking and overworrying unnecessarily.

Re: Pedicures -- Yes, Seriously

I'm so with you there! I've now had my fair share of pedicures over the last decade, but the fact that it took me as long as it did to try it... Manicures are nice, too.. but pedicures.... oh, dear lord, yes please! Have you had a facial? Hubby got me one of those packages with a hot-rock-massage, facial and pedicure. Holy smokes, I was in heaven for a few hours.
    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Ooooo ... I have not yet had a facial. Ever. It is next on my list to try, especially as I get older my facial skin wants to get more sensitive.

Comment

YES!

I love pedicures...

(I have more to add later, just checking in for now!)
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Yes, it is wonderful if you've got a good technician, so when you find a good tech take good care of them. I have even gotten my husband on the pedi wagon. He resisted at first and still won't do it anywhere where people he knows might see him. Men are funny that way.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

*looks around to see if there are any other dudes in earshot*

I get pedicures... I love them.

6' tall, 220lbs, gun-toting redneck male Texan... pedicures are awesome... hows that for super-feminine?
            "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

I've never had a pedicure. I take care of my feet myself. Mostly because Diabetes and public pedicures don't go together so great.
              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Working...
              X