This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should facebook ban controversial user?

It's been a buzz (pun included since it's in the url!) that fb users are trying to ban a specific user. What kind of user you may ask? Oh just some Texas cute cheerleader. Why? She likes to kill endareged species, post them on fb and call it 'conservation'.
    sauce
    Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Re: Should facebook ban controversial user?

No, no ban.

People can disagree with her if they want, but let her speak as she chooses.

You can't stop unpopular actions by silencing those who speak about them, but you can express your thoughts (and thereby spread them) when actions are spoken about.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Meh...I guess that's up to them. <shrug> I don't think that the Government should be involved in the decision at all, but if FB decides they don't want that user I can't say that I have a valid reason to force them to allow her to be a member.

Of course, people get confused about Freedom, thinking that the Constitution applies to businesses as well as Government entities...although I'm not sure how much of a difference their being a public company is.

Comment

I don't think I like her, or the things she does, and the more I read about her the more I want to wish horrible things will happen to her. That's a really crappy reason to ban her from anything though.

Id rather a lion shot her and posed over her corpse, but, this is unlikely.
        http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
          I don't think I like her, or the things she does, and the more I read about her the more I want to wish horrible things will happen to her. That's a really crappy reason to ban her from anything though.

Id rather a lion shot her and posed over her corpse, but, this is unlikely.
          When the idiots are allowed to announce their presence they're easier to find (and avoid).

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, that would be the downside to kicking her off...people will be less informed about her, not more.

Comment

Originally posted by Roknrol View Post
            When the idiots are allowed to announce their presence they're easier to find (and avoid).
            Or have lions delivered to
            http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
            ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I don't think that she should be banned. Nor do I necessairly think this is a big deal (the hunting), I don't know enough about her (nor do I care to) otherwise.

I don't know the context for the rhino or cheetah, but I'm guessing its similar to that of the elephant and the lion....but there are contexts in which people viably and legally pay a shit ton of money (which goes to funding conservation in African countries) to shoot young male elephants and lions (which tend to rove and get into trouble in terms of killing people and destroying property and crops and aren't part of the breeding populations).

I think we've had the elephant hunting convo here before...here it is

From the article I quoted there:

Evidence on illegal hunting indicates that poachers target individuals with the largest tusks, including
              many matriarchs (1). In contrast, trophy hunting, besides being regulated and limited by quota to
              relatively few animals per year, primarily targets large bulls (2, 3). Bulls are far more solitary than
              females (4), so their role as repositories of social knowledge, although untested, is likely to be less
              important than that of matriarchs. Although the removal of significant numbers of older bulls from a
              population may have other detrimental results (1), the effect of regulated, low off-take trophy hunting on
              group social knowledge is likely to be minimal when compared with poaching.

More importantly, a well-regulated trophy hunting system can help maintain elephant numbers while
              raising revenues to fund elephant conservation programs and benefit local communities, who share 80%
              of the species' range. Given that habitat loss contributes significantly to elephant decline (5), it is essential
              to encourage coexistence between elephants and local communities outside protected areas. Without
              intervention, however, elephants are generally unpopular because they may damage crops or threaten the
              lives of people (3). Furthermore, compensation schemes for those adversely affected have largely failed
              (6), and tourism benefit-sharing schemes are limited to more accessible areas with relatively developed
              infrastructure and do not provide a focussed benefit from elephants. Consequently, many communities
              and wildlife authorities have resorted to the destruction of problem animals. Indeed, in Kenya, where
              there is no trophy hunting, figures from 1992 to 1999 show that similar numbers of elephants were killed
              by poachers as were shot by Problem Animal Control units (412 compared with 428, respectively) (7).

In other countries, however, trophy hunting provides a means of turning a problem into assets worth more
              than $10,000 per elephant trophy to the community, resulting in greater tolerance of elephants and fewer
              animals killed overall (4). In Zimbabwe, implementing trophy hunting has doubled the area of the country
              under wildlife management relative to the 13% in state protected areas (3). As a result, the area of suitable
              land available to elephants and other wildlife has increased, reversing the problem of habitat loss and helping
              to maintain a sustained population increase in Zimbabwe's already large elephant population (8).

http://www.kent.ac.uk/dice/publicati...ephants_01.pdf
              Something else to keep in mind that I brought up in the other thread (its a good thread, peeps should read) is the economic factor of hunting (and I'm not speaking of this chic in particular, but before peeps go wacko over the subject of hunting big game in Africa):

In rural communities of both Africa, Asia and South America, there are numerous studies that show how hunting correlates with wealth--and basically, you need money to afford to hunt, and you need enough money or extra men in the family to afford to sent someone out to hunt. The gear needed to hunt an elephant...well, I'm pretty sure its well beyond the income for most African villagers.

Also...if the locals are hunting their own elephants, then there is no income from it...as an example...to hunt an elephant in Namibia, it costs $12,500, plus over $1,100 a day for the guide and outfitting...so a 10 day trip for one elephant is over $23,000. Here, that's enough to buy a car...in Namibia, that's enough to fund a school or a clinic in a rural village, to build a well, etc.
              Last edited by thalassa; 03 Jul 2014, 18:20.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

The locals aren't happy with her. They too want her banned from their land. So. There's that.

Comment

Parachute her into NK and make her hunt King Jon Un, theres some endangered game I wanna see bagged.
                  White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
                  sigpic
                  In Days of yore,
                  From Britain's shore
                  Wolfe the dauntless hero came
                  And planted firm Britannia's flag
                  On Canada's fair domain.
                  Here may it wave,
                  Our boast, our pride
                  And joined in love together,
                  The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
                  The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                    The locals aren't happy with her. They too want her banned from their land. So. There's that.
                    Where did you read that from? Has she treated the locals poorly?

Comment

Originally posted by Rhaethe View Post
                      Where did you read that from? Has she treated the locals poorly?
                      From the article. It stated 1000 south Africans want her banned from the state. They started a petition against her on Change.org stating she wants to start a hunting show and star in it etc.

Comment

I don't think that she should be banned. Hiding her will do nothing to stop her illegal and foolish behavior. Doesn't mean that people don't have every reason to be pissed as all hell at her, though. Isn't her hunting of endangered animals illegal?

Comment

Originally posted by iflewoverthecuckoosnest View Post
                          I don't think that she should be banned. Hiding her will do nothing to stop her illegal and foolish behavior. Doesn't mean that people don't have every reason to be pissed as all hell at her, though. Isn't her hunting of endangered animals illegal?
                          I think the reason the ban would go into place is because of the graphic nature of the photos. Though to be honest, I'm pretty sick of all those pics of babies too. So, yeah.
                          I say don't ban her. But I still hate her.

Comment

I also really hope that she doesn't get the show she wants. People can be real idiots and if her activities are broadcasted on public TV, there's a chance that a lot of dolts with too much money on their hands will think it's hip to copy her behavior.
                            All in all, this is truly disgusting. Those pictures of her posing next to the corpses of those beautiful, endangered beasts makes me a bit nauseous.

Comment

Can't stand her...but I find it just as loathsome as some middle-aged guy doing it. For whatever reason the fact that she's young and female has people more up in arms then they normally are. I keep seeing things calling her a cheerleader, but what the heck do her parents do that she can afford something like this?
                              Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Working...
                              X