This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Concept of Modesty

Is it just me, or does anyone else get very bothered when you're told you're not modest?
    It bothers me because modesty is a concept. And I don't care for it, so I don't really care whether you think I am or not. >n<
    Stop telling me to put on more clothes; I don't like them.
    Stupid, short rant, but I did need to get it off of my chest.

Re: The Concept of Modesty

LOL - I'm very modest in public.

At home, I don't wear pants.

Never come for a visit when you're not expected
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Hmmm ... Honestly, no. That being said, I tend to be more modest than some. I like clothes, and I like clothes to cover me. So I suppose the question to me instead would be "Do you get bothered if someone tells you to stop being prudish?" And in answer, any kind of judgey sort of comment directed to me in that way (that is, someone telling me 'Stop being so prudish") would bother me a tad, yes.

It doesn't happen often, however. Only in specific situations, for example, at a pool party, I will get fussed at for not being in a bikini or whatever. If I wanted to swim, I would wear a swimsuit in a style of my choosing (often a sports bra, tank top, and shorts in water wicking fabric). If I do not want to swim, I will wear capris and a tshirt which I find quite comfortable.

Comment

People tend not to actually come up to me and say anything about my behavior and or dress.
        They know better.
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Yep, Raethe nailed it. It is not so much the statement as the judging. Nobody likes being judged, and yet we all do it. I am guilty, too, but I have learned to (usually) keep my mouth shut long enough to come to my senses. One of the perks of middle age, I guess.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

I am with nbdy here. Before I get out of our flat I try to find something normal to wear. Not something very fabulous. Something normal, that's all. It's ok to want to dress good. It just means these people try to enjoy their life.
            "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Driving through town today, I passed a young lady in a ity-bitty black bikini.

I have no complaints.
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                Driving through town today, I passed a young lady in a ity-bitty black bikini.

I have no complaints.
                What if the itty bitty black bikini was on a five foot gal about 300?
                Of course you wouldn't be able to actually see it...but you get my drift.

Comment

The "funny" thing is that it's mostly, if not exclusively, women who gets the you're not modest/too prudish comments, as if everyone else gets a say in how we dress or why we do so.
                  We should dress nicely, but not too provocatively. We must wear makeup, but not too much. We should "make something of ourselves", but if we care too much how we look we're "shallow". I mean it's been ages since the story of Kraka was first told, but it still feels like we're all her.
                  (Maybe I should take this to the rant thread...)
                  Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                    LOL - still no complaints.

My eyes have a control center somewhere in my head. I can choose what I look at.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                      This is exactly why I dress as modest as the heat in KS will allow me.
                      No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRaven View Post
                        The "funny" thing is that it's mostly, if not exclusively, women who gets the you're not modest/too prudish comments, as if everyone else gets a say in how we dress or why we do so.
                        We should dress nicely, but not too provocatively. We must wear makeup, but not too much. We should "make something of ourselves", but if we care too much how we look we're "shallow". I mean it's been ages since the story of Kraka was first told, but it still feels like we're all her.
                        (Maybe I should take this to the rant thread...)
                        Oh, yeah. Though here has been an increase in the objectification of men. Not exactly the balance I was looking for ....

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

I see girls all the time on the bus just dressing in a way that says 'Hey! Look at me!'. But they don't get that EVERY single eye will be on them. Even the ones they don't want. I don't say a damn thing. I don't judge. I don't have to. They will learn the lesson the easy way (as in some mean girl mall rat calling them out on their waist high shorts that show their camel toe) or in that other way we all say doesn't happen because of what we wear, or shouldn't happen because of what we wear, but does, indeed happen because of what we wear.

Comment

If it's on display, people will look at it.

If one doesn't want to be looked at, one doesn't put oneself on display.

But those who put themselves on display and then get pissed because others look at them are acting like idiot children.

IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                              If it's on display, people will look at it.

If one doesn't want to be looked at, one doesn't put oneself on display.

But those who put themselves on display and then get pissed because others look at them are acting like idiot children.

IMHO.
                              Now I can't, and won't presume, to speak for everyone, but for me it's not the stares that bothers me. Those that want to stare can go right ahead and do so, most people who dress in an out-of-the-ordinary or attention calling fashion know very well we will get stares, that was never the problem. It's the remarks, catcalls, ect that pisses me off. I didn't dress this way for other people, they can keep their damned comments to themselves.
                              Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Working...
                              X