Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I feel like Heathenism is lacking something.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I feel like Heathenism is lacking something.

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
    I'm cringing. I'll acknowledge some of the similarities between Odin's behavior and Mercury's skillset but unless by "a little less supreme sky god", you mean entirely not leader of the Aesir, this still leads to the highly entertaining position that a someone's (depends on who one wants to credit with a more accurate vision) head of pantheon is play-acting as a lesser Power when interacting with the other culture and....

yeah, my head hurts now.

also Thor = Jupiter?

really............................................ ................
    Yep and yep.

Plus Tyr is equated with Mars, but very few people actually think about that one too much because there's so little mythology surrounding Tyr that we see 'warrior' and leave it at that. Then we have Frigg and Venus... which is then used as justification to say that Frigg and Freyja were obviously just the same goddess all along. It's all just one big mess of... no.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
      Plus Tyr is equated with Mars
      My initial response this was going to be a touch overly dramatic but from what I hear, Mars was treated significantly better by Roman writers than the treatment that Greeks gave Ares so I'm just not gonna comment.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
        Personally I don't find equating gods with each other as a respectful or appealing way of looking at other religions. To me that smacks of ego-centric 'I'm right and the rest of you can only be right if yours looks like mine'. It's like... oh, I can respect you because you're just like my aunt Jane... you are both blonde and dentists and like the colour orange... you're pretty much the same person! That's not respectful to the entity. But then, I am a hard polytheist so I do see them as actual distinct entities. I understand that not everyone thinks that way.
        Not equating - but interpreting. I think the images we have in our myths and minds about the Gods are, well, images. And I explicitly avoid the horrible word "only" here. Those images are not "only" images but very important, powerful and imho necessary to remotely understand what we are talking about. But they do not exactly and empirically describe the Gods, they represent what is behind those images. And that is what I meant with "pretty much the same". The images of Norns and Parcae are pretty much the same. They are so similar that it is evident that they have a common origin or that there was a cultural interchange.
        I do not think that the concept of a "true god" existed until this sect from the Middle East showed up. The Romans and the Greek were aware of the contradictions within their own mythology (and I do not know any mythology which does not have intrinsic contradicitons). E.g. there are at least three different genealogies of Jupiter, they cannot all be "true" at the same time. Those different "confessions" did not yield to different denominations, they still honoured the same God and followed the same religion.
        We unfortunately do not know what philosophy our Northern ancestors had behind their religion, because they have never written it down. But from the similarities in the structure of the myths and the pantheons and the cultural interchange regarding weekday names etc. I suspect the philosophy was not that fundamently different either. But that is just speculation, perhaps only wishful thinking.
        Anyway, my genome says I am 42% Northern-European, 38% Mediterranean, 18% Southwest Asian and 2% Neanderthal (which is pretty average for an European). The Northern and Southern Gods belong to my cultural ancestry, there is no need to squeeze them into one imagery but it is neither required to separate them in an absolute manner. For example, wisdom is still wisdom - whether we find it in Odin or Apollon.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfan45x View Post
          I was pretty much called a false believer and ridiculed (reminded me of being in a church?) by Heathens for bringing up that I use Cannabis and Shrooms in my worship occasionally

Is one not supposed to do that?

Realistically, anyone telling you how you should practice your faith seems quite....monotheistic. Limited. I would not be overly concerned with their opinions.

Comment

Working...
          X