This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not hellenic?

Is it possible to still worship/work with Greek or Roman deities without being hellenic? Does anyone here do it?

Re: Not hellenic?

Anything's possible. That's kind of in the nature of eclecticism, eh?
    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by EclecticWitch View Post
      Is it possible to still worship/work with Greek or Roman deities without being hellenic? Does anyone here do it?
      Short answer: Lots of people interact with the Olympians and don't claim to be Hellenic.

Long answer: Is best sought from someone other than me.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

It's possible to interact with deities from totally different pantheons. You don't have to be something specific. It can be something like: Ogma, Athena and Odin.
        And the answer to your question is - yes. If you work with one or two hellenic deities, it can be something personal.
        "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by EclecticWitch View Post
          The Olympians I am bound to and honor I try to work with in the Hellenic way with offerings, dates, etc. Roman or Etruscan utilize a lot of Hellenic methodology but their not Hellenic but Pax Roma I think it's called. Basically a different manner of right though and right practice vice a personal relationship with the divine in practice. Yet because I do not work with the entire pantheon I am not a Hellenic practitioner nor a recon so would be seen as eclectic in that regard. So yes you can work with member's of the pantheon and not be Hellenic in practice.
          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I think this is one of those times when people get the terminology mixed up. If you are working with Greek deities, you are working with Hellenic deities.

"Hellenic" is just an adjective. All it means is "of or relating to Greece, its people, or its language; specifically: of or relating to ancient Greek history, culture, or art before the Hellenistic period". Hellenism is a neo-classical aesthetic movement in the late 18th and early 19th centuries, and Hellenistic is the time period between the death of Alexander the Great and the Battle of Actium, Hellene is the word for a person that is Greek.

Hellenismos, on the other hand, specifically refers to Greek religion and seems to have pretty much been claimed by Hellenic Polytheists, usually of the Recon sort. You can have a practice that is Hellenic without practicing Hellenismos. And yes, you can worship Hellenic deities outside of the context of Hellenismos as well. Also, the Roman polytheistic reconstructionist religion is the Religio Romana--one group is Nova Roma, and they have some pretty good info on the subject.

Don't get me wrong, there are always people that delight in being a jerk. Expect that someone, somewhere will be offended by what you are doing, regardless of what you are doing (or how you define it)!

(Eta: and, yes, i acknowlege and make offerings to a handful of Greek and Roman deities (and other entities))
            Last edited by thalassa; 09 Jul 2014, 08:06.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
              Anything's possible. That's kind of in the nature of eclecticism, eh?
              Very true

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
              It's possible to interact with deities from totally different pantheons. You don't have to be something specific. It can be something like: Ogma, Athena and Odin.
              And the answer to your question is - yes. If you work with one or two hellenic deities, it can be something personal.
              Alright, thank you for the reply!

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              I think this is one of those times when people get the terminology mixed up. If you are working with Greek deities, you are working with Hellenic deities.

"Hellenic" is just an adjective. All it means is "of or relating to Greece, its people, or its language; specifically: of or relating to ancient Greek history, culture, or art before the Hellenistic period". Hellenism is a neo-classical aesthetic movement in the late 18th and early 19th centuries, and Hellenistic is the time period between the death of Alexander the Great and the Battle of Actium, Hellene is the word for a person that is Greek.

Hellenismos, on the other hand, specifically refers to Greek religion and seems to have pretty much been claimed by Hellenic Polytheists, usually of the Recon sort. You can have a practice that is Hellenic without practicing Hellenismos. And yes, you can worship Hellenic deities outside of the context of Hellenismos as well. Also, the Roman polytheistic reconstructionist religion is the Religio Romana--one group is Nova Roma, and they have some pretty good info on the subject.

Don't get me wrong, there are always people that delight in being a jerk. Expect that someone, somewhere will be offended by what you are doing, regardless of what you are doing (or how you define it)!

(Eta: and, yes, i acknowlege and make offerings to a handful of Greek and Roman deities (and other entities))
              Ahh, I never the difference in terms! And yes there will always be people who are offended :P I was just making sure it was approproiating greek religion/culture by interacting with greek deities!

Comment

Working...
              X