What do you want on your pizza?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Heka View Post

Pie I guess. Or tart. Has to be sweet to be a tart though I reckon. But tart is a kind of pie. A sweet pie...?

Dunno about this pizza pie business though...
    Idea! A pizza pie is a meat pie with pizza flavouring in it! And maybe some cheese on top
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Re: What do you want on your pizza?

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
      What would y'all call these then?

The first is Lemon Meringue Pie. Which is about the only tart or flan that we do call a pie. Although most of us actually leave the 'pie' part off and just call it 'Lemon Meringue'.

The other two are Pecan Pie and Sweet Potato Pie, but the average Australian has probably never seen or eaten them. When I made Sweet Potato Pie for Thanksgiving, everyone said 'that's not what I expected... it's not even a pie'.

I would probably add a fourth... Key Lime Pie. But all those are only called 'pies' because they are specifically American deserts, and so the names were imported with them. If you put any of those (barring the Lemon Meringue) in a shop and didn't label them, Australians would call them tarts or flans.

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't have to have a pastry lid does it? Some pies don't have pastry lids... some have lattice! But hmmm definitely a pastry shell...
      A pastry lattice is still classed as a 'lid' though. American desert pies don't have lids at all on them usually... as per Denarius' photos. They call all sorts of things 'pies'.

- - - Updated - - -

Pie I guess. Or tart. Has to be sweet to be a tart though I reckon. But tart is a kind of pie. A sweet pie...?
      Caramelized onion tart. Goats cheese tart. Those are two classic savory tarts I can think of off the top of my head.

Comment

Actually that's a pumpkin pie, but it's part of a collection of orange vegetable pies. Sweet potato and carrot pies are more of a southern thing, pumpkin pies are the default in the greater US. It's a thanksgiving thing, like turkey and cranberry sauce.
        Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
          Actually that's a pumpkin pie, but it's part of a collection of orange vegetable pies. Sweet potato and carrot pies are more of a southern thing, pumpkin pies are the default in the greater US. It's a thanksgiving thing, like turkey and cranberry sauce.
          Hubby is from Louisiana, hence me assuming 'sweet potato'. They look exactly the same to me, and sweet potato pie is the one that I made (Torey likes to celebrate Thanksgiving still, so we do a family dinner as close to the US Thanksgiving as we can). I didn't know that carrot pie was a thing, though.

Comment

Wait a second, I thought there was a definition for pie/tart... Wasn't it?
            "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post

Caramelized onion tart. Goats cheese tart. Those are two classic savory tarts I can think of off the top of my head.
              Good point.

I'll have to agree on the lid=pie thing. Unless it's an americanism, like pumpkin pie.

RIP

You cut your hair short
              Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

A tart is a short crust pie and ususally with more fruit and less goo in the filling...sometimes just the crust with fresh fruit, pie has a taller crust and more filling usually with more "binder" to fruit ratio than a tart (with or without a pastry top) where the whole thing is always baked together.

"Pie" is just slang for pizza in some places, probably stemming from the "pizza pie" thing...but not everywhere. Pizza type is more determined by "style"--St Louis stype, NY style, Chicago style, etc.
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

I'd want Daiya 'cheese' on mine, and mushrooms, onion and sweetcorn.

Comment

Pepperoni, olives, mushrooms, and always... always extra cheese. Yum.

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie at Heart View Post
                      Pepperoni, olives, mushrooms, and always... always extra cheese. Yum.
                      Sounds yummy! I like the combination of tuna, cheese and corn. Extra tuna.
                      "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I like pepperoni, onions, and black olives. I could probably eat the whole pie by myself.

Comment

Originally posted by pladedump View Post
                          I like pepperoni, onions, and black olives. I could probably eat the whole pie by myself.
                          Sounds good too. I need to try black olives sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                            Ew dont bother lol

RIP

You cut your hair short
                            Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

So...I had a craving for pizza last week. Specifically, spinach alfredo pizza and pineapple and canadian bacon pizza. Since I couldn't decide which I wanted, hubby got me both (because leftover pizza is delish all week long for lunches). I ended up taking a piece of each and eating them together. Because I'm wierd.

It was awesome!

and then I was full...
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                                When I was in Malta, I had one of these...it also had tiny whole smoked octopi on it. And the shellfish were still in the shell.

(no offense to the people of Malta, but it was terrifying)

...I should see if I can find the pic of me trying to eat it

I would so eat that. I love tiny baby squids, tentacles and all...so this sounds awesome.

I like all the things. Really. The only stuff I really don't eat is bananas and pudding and the gods help you if either of those are on a pizza.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                                There's LOTS of olives to try on the green to black spectrum, not just green and black.

I have loved every olive I've tried. The "canned" black ones are sort of bland but not icky. The best ones are the wrinkled black olives, like these: http://greekfood.about.com/od/greekfoodphotogalleries/ig/Greek-Olive-Photos/Wrinkled-Black-Olives.htm

Crap, now I'm hungry.

Comment

Working...
                                X