Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Greek vs Roman pantheons

May 2006
    Religion
    Atheist

Re: Greek vs Roman pantheons

[quote author=Agamemnon link=topic=983.msg18050#msg18050 date=1290957822]
    would it make you happier if I change what I said? ""The Greeks had 12 major GODS and several minor ones"" Is that better? Geesh
    [/quote]

[glow=red,2,300]Point made several posts ago. Let it drop children- love Mod. [/glow]
    "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Oct 2004
    Religion
    olde pharte

*hands FW a cookie*
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Cannibal Rights Activist Ophidia's Avatar
    Aug 2008
    Religion
    Ophidism
    Phrase
    I like Nature, just not on me.

Can I be a mod?

I mean, every time lately that I've gotten annoyed enough to fire off a tirade on some thread, it's in the process of being locked...

:::grumblesonaboutGreeksnotbeingconcernedwithafter life...howmanyriversinHades...:::
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Panentheist
    Phrase
    Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit.

*hands perz a cookie*

Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

Okay, so...

I've read through this whole thread twice, and I'm still confused. IS there a difference between the grecian pantheon and the roman pantheon, besides the difference in quantity of gods?

How is Jupiter difference than Zeus? How is Diana different than Artemis, Bacchus from Dionysus, etc?
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

May 2006
    Religion
    Atheist

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=983.msg18210#msg18210 date=1291011699]
    Okay, so...

I've read through this whole thread twice, and I'm still confused. IS there a difference between the grecian pantheon and the roman pantheon, besides the difference in quantity of gods?

How is Jupiter difference than Zeus? How is Diana different than Artemis, Bacchus from Dionysus, etc?
    [/quote]

Besides the quantity? No not really. Of course there are differences but to be honest both pantheons in essence cover all the same territory. But that is just my opinion... I REALLY payed attention to get an A at advanced higher Classical Studies Another reason this thread was urking me.

[quote author=magusjinx link=topic=983.msg18199#msg18199 date=1291008667]
    *hands FW a cookie*
    [/quote]

I accept cookie X
    "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Cannibal Rights Activist Ophidia's Avatar
    Aug 2008
    Religion
    Ophidism
    Phrase
    I like Nature, just not on me.

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=983.msg18210#msg18210 date=1291011699]
    Okay, so...

[/quote]

I think it's not so much their individual spheres of influence that are different, but how they are perceived by Their various cultures. Dionysus was a foreign God to the Greeks, a young mad God, sort of dangerous and unpredictable. Bacchus is this jolly old lecherous drunkard, far more familiar and comfortable as a drinking buddy. Most of the Roman Gods - although younger than the Greek deities in a way - seem to be more mature in nature, less prone to jealous fits of rage or fickle trickery. They are trustworthy and dependable, and will usually do what They promise. The Romans to me always seemed more practical in nature than the Greeks - not as curious or inventive, more settled into a solid urban lifestyle, so it would be natural that their Gods would follow suit.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

There are a lot of differences, and partly this is due to the way that both cultures tended to syncretise whatever they came across... in the case of the Greeks and Romans this basically means that they took what they fancied from cultures they either conquered or had contact with. So Apollo morphed from an archer god and became also, amongst other things, a god of healing, a god of the sun and even the Mouse God (I kid you not. )

The Greek Artemis, in one of her very early forms was potnia theron, the lady of small (or wild) animals. But the Roman Diana for example, hd a function in her form at Neri of deciding disputes, something the Greek counterpart never had.

Partly this is due to cultural misunderstandings. When Caesar described those he considered barbarians as worshipping Mercury, he didn't mean this literally. But it looked like some form of Mercury to him, i.e. there were some attributes he thought he recognised. Sometimes, (from what exists in the archaeological record) as in Roman north Africa, local gods were deliberately suppressed, or people were told that their deities were 'really' a Roman one.

But the two pantheons are really quite different. The differences may be subtle, but they're there all the same. And my earlier point - that bad sources basically make for poor interpretations - still stands. The Greek and Roman cultures were very different. It may have suited the Romans to pretend otherwise, but the bigger picture is much more interesting.
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

[quote author=Tylluan Penry link=topic=983.msg18245#msg18245 date=1291021438]
    But the two pantheons are really quite different. The differences may be subtle, but they're there all the same. And my earlier point - that bad sources basically make for poor interpretations - still stands. The Greek and Roman cultures were very different. It may have suited the Romans to pretend otherwise, but the bigger picture is much more interesting.
    [/quote]

^what she said...

The really aren't the same.

I posted most of this in another thread...but...to claim that they were the same is pretty much a gross oversimplification but common error concerning Roman religion.

Quote Originally Posted by V.
    IS there a difference between the grecian pantheon and the roman pantheon, besides the difference in quantity of gods?
    The gods of the Romans were a combination of their own gods, the gods of the Etruscans, the Latins and the other people that populated what is now Italy when the Romans got there--the people that became Rome. Later, the Romans adopted some of the mythology of the Greek gods and grafted it on to their existing pantheon, but the gods themselves are not the same...though there is quite a bit of overlap for the major deities of both religions. This structuring of the major gods into the same sort of pattern as the Greeks *I think* happened pretty late in the Republican period. The Romans also went one step further and adopted into their pantheon numerous gods from other pantheons of other cultures that they accumulated as they expanded, to a degree not really seen in other cultures...particularly when they did not have an equivalent god, or conversely, when a deity *did* resemble a deity they already had (and had a really cool associated practice). Really Roman deities have a pretty tangled sort of origin coming from a combination of their practice of deifying ancestors, adopting foreign deities, integrating myths and attributes of foreign deities, separating different 'aspects' of a deity into its own form for worship. An example of a Roman deity (and one you probably have never heard of) can be found here.

I've never been interested in the recon aspect of the religion, but I have a good interest in Roman deities...
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Nov 2010

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ogy.html?cat=9

This is a pretty good article describing some of the differences. Enjoy at your leasure. I would like to say that yes the Greeks believed in the afterlife, they where not concerned with it as much as the Romans. The greeks instead focused on the here and now. That is not to say that they were oblivious to life after death, they just did not worry about their final destination as much as the Romans. Of course alot of this is speculation because the culture of the ancient Greeks has been dead for quite sometime. I will try to get other sources and share at a later date.
    SPQR