Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your opinion on altars doubling as something else?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your opinion on altars doubling as something else?

What do you think about altars preforming double duty, so to speak, and also being things like coffee tables when not in use? Not altars to Deity but altars you do work at? I have a very nice travel trunk that I use as a bedside table and I was thinking of making it my altar once I feel like im ready for one. Is it disrespectful to use it as something other than an altar, or are there respectful ways to do it? Is it perfectly okay?

Originally posted by miss_mc View Post
    What do you think about altars preforming double duty, so to speak, and also being things like coffee tables when not in use? Not altars to Deity but altars you do work at? I have a very nice travel trunk that I use as a bedside table and I was thinking of making it my altar once I feel like im ready for one. Is it disrespectful to use it as something other than an altar, or are there respectful ways to do it? Is it perfectly okay?
    Perfectly ok lots of people have temporary working altars.
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Re: What is your opinion on altars doubling as something else?

I personally view a working altar as something quite different to a devotional altar. In my thoughts, a devotional altar is a surface which makes up part of a sacred space specific to a deity, spirit, ancestor, etc. - and I would not use that surface for anything "mundane" if I had dedicated it to said deity, spirit, ancestor, etc.

But, IMHO, a working altar is just a surface. I have used the bare floor as an "altar".

Comment

Sometimes, due to space constraints or living conditions, you have to make do with what you have available. Not being able to set up a dedicated room or altar shouldn't stop you from practicing. The spirits or Gods are generally understanding and will not smite you if your altar doubles as a countertop or has to be tucked away when not in use.
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I think its perfectly okay.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Well currently my altar does double duty. It's the top of my bookcase. I put some of my stuff on top of my bookcase and take it off when I need to perform a spell or ritual. I wish I could have a separate altar, but I live in a tight space and have to use my bookcase for double duty.
            Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Mine is devotional and also gets used for spell work. It's permanent and is never used for anything else (apart from when one particular person keeps putting their coffee mugs down on it which makes my blood boil!). I couldn't use it for anything else, it wouldn't feel right. That doesn't mean that anyone else shouldn't do as they see fit though!

Comment

Originally posted by Carlin View Post
                apart from when one particular person keeps putting their coffee mugs down on it which makes my blood boil!

See, i don't much mind the idea of my altar being used TEMPORARILY for setting drinks down or whatever, but I just don't want to see stuff left all over it. Its not much of a big deal to me now, since its not really an altar yet, but I'm trying to get my friends + girlfriend into the habit of not leaving things there once they're done with them. Fat chance!

Comment

I think when you have a permanent altar, then sitting a drink or something else on it would be disrespectful. Simply because the altar is set up for worship to your gods and goddesses and to perform rituals/spells etc...
                  Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
                    I think when you have a permanent altar, then sitting a drink or something else on it would be disrespectful. Simply because the altar is set up for worship to your gods and goddesses and to perform rituals/spells etc...
                    Lets say someone isn't working with/doesn't worship deity, would you still find it disrespectful? Not like attacking you btw, just genuinely curious of your opinion.

Comment

Lets say someone isn't working with/doesn't worship deity, would you still find it disrespectful? Not like attacking you btw, just genuinely curious of your opinion.
                      I know for me it shows a disregard for another person's space. It doesn't matter if it's an altar or a desk or what - if you're in someone else's home be polite & respectful. Most people wouldn't leave empty dishes or trash on a person's shrine to a saint or deceased loved one, and a permanent, dedicated altar (or even a temporary one) is no different.
                      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I think it depends on the altar. As this question is specifically related to working altars, I would say that it's fine for a working altar to double as something else.

Personally, I would. But then I think it's disrespectful to put your empty coffee cup ANYWHERE and leave it there. Empty cups go in the kitchen, not on random furniture or the closest flat surface.

To broaden that away from the specific coffee cup example... I still think that it's disrespectful for people (not yourself) to use a surface for an intent which it was not originally intended. You don't just put random items on people's carefully arranged surfaces. If it's clear that someone allows random clutter, that's different. But an arranged space is an arranged space and should not be cluttered up unnecessarily.

I think that it all comes down to the attitude of the person who owns the surface. When you go into someone else's space, I think you should abide by THEIR rules and attitudes towards surfaces and furniture. And this is completely separate to any spiritual context. If a surface has family photos or knick knacks on it, there's a possibility that it has significance to them. In that case it should be respected.

Comment

It think it depends of one'S living arrangements and the obviousness of one's altar, and how the altar is used. On one hand, if its in a shared space of a shared surface, I'm not6 sure that I'd see it as disrespectful (or no more disrespecful than, say, coming home one day and declaring the coffee table an altar). Or if you stick it in a high traffic area of the home...or with small children... in these cases, if its something bothersome, a portable altar is probably best.

But there is nothing wrong with saying "hey, this is what this is, and I feel its disrespectful to...".

Personally, our altars are usually in places that are out of the way enough that no one feels compelled to use it (tho the kids have their own, very kid accessible and touchable, altars). I've also heard of people that stuff their altar so full that there is nowhere to put anything!
                          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                          sigpic

Comment

For me, reality has dictated. I am lucky enough now to live in a situation where I can have a dedicated altar. That has not always been the case.

I have found the use of altar cloths helpful in the situation where I cannot have a full time dedicated altar (I use altar cloths on my permanent altar as well). Meaning when I was using the space as a temporary altar, I had the dedicated cloths which were never used for any other purpose. And I would put those on the altar, so the "working surface" was dedicated even if the support system was not.

Comment

I guess not. I think it depends on the person and their intentions with the altar.
                              Anubisa

Comment

Working...
                              X