• Gardnerarian Wicca
    • Georgian Wicca
    • Pecti-Wita
    • Seax-Wica
    • Shamistic Wicca
    • Wica / Wicca
    • Wicce
    • Witan
    so these are the sects of wicca, can i get a description of each belief section?

Ask a Wiccan Right?

and please dont tell me google!! if you find it stupid then just dont say a word... i dont trust google.

Re: Different sects of wicca?

I just wanted to point out that I didn't think your post was stupid. What I find irritating is your apparent lack of research. Most, if not all of what we've learned over the years has come from books, people, and most of all in the last decade, the internet. So if I take two-three hours of my time to define and explain each individual item you've just asked us to hand to you, I'll be getting most of my information from the internet.

You're new to the path, and we've all been there. But the biggest thing you can do is your own self research. We would love to answer your questions, but much like when we were in school, the answers to the test of life aren't just handed to us on a silver platter.

Maybe someone else here will be nice enough to spend a few hours typing out the description of each sect of wicca for you, but it just won't be me.

Although I did find a decent description of a few of them on this blog, here.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
      I just wanted to point out that I didn't think your post was stupid. What I find irritating is your apparent lack of research. Most, if not all of what we've learned over the years has come from books, people, and most of all in the last decade, the internet. So if I take two-three hours of my time to define and explain each individual item you've just asked us to hand to you, I'll be getting most of my information from the internet.

You're new to the path, and we've all been there. But the biggest thing you can do is your own self research. We would love to answer your questions, but much like when we were in school, the answers to the test of life aren't just handed to us on a silver platter.

Maybe someone else here will be nice enough to spend a few hours typing out the description of each sect of wicca for you, but it just won't be me.

Although I did find a decent description of a few of them on this blog, here.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
      Not to mention to answer it all, we would all use google, it's not like anyone is hoing to have first hand experience of all of these...
      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
      Seen the desert and the birds
      You cut your hair short
      Like a shush to an insult
      The world had been yelling
      Since the day you were born
      Revolting with anger
      While it smiled like it was cute
      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

That blog post covered most of the listed traditions, so very briefly...

The Discordian or Erisian - This isn't a Wiccan tradition, it's something else all on it's own.

Faery Wicca - Wicca that focuses on working with Faeries. Sometimes used to describe one particular tradition, sometimes it's used as a broader term. Not the same thing as the Feri Tradition, which is not Wiccan.

Pecti-Wita - Scottish witchcraft heavily influenced by Wicca, first written about by Raymond Buckland. He claims it's an old hereditary tradition that someone taught him, but there's not really evidence for that.

Shamistic Wicca - Assuming you mean shamanistic Wicca, read this.

Wica / Wicca ... Wicce - None of these are traditions. See this article.

Witan - Also not a Wiccan tradition.

It might also be worth mentioning that the traditions you listed are not all of the Wiccan traditions, there's lots of them, but I think most of the bigger ones have been mentioned.
        Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Originally posted by jaidynfaith View Post
          Newbie question
          • Alexandrian Wicca
          • Celtic Wicca
          • Dianic Wicca
          • The Discordian or Erisian
          • Faery Wicca
          • Gardnerarian Wicca
          • Georgian Wicca
          • Pecti-Wita
          • Seax-Wica
          • Shamistic Wicca
          • Wica / Wicca
          • Wicce
          • Witan
          so these are the sects of wicca, can i get a description of each belief section?

Ask a Wiccan Right?

and please dont tell me google!! if you find it stupid then just dont say a word... i dont trust google.
          Erm...not trusting Google is sort of your problem, not ours. Which information is reliable on the internet is no different than which information is reliable in print--its a matter of discernment on the reader's part. I'm not trying to be mean, but being unwilling to do basic research on the internet is sort of rude, and if you are interested in Paganism--well, its a research (including the internet) driven path...it would be one thing if you'd come here and said "this is what I've found, can anyone tell me if I'm off track" versus "I want to know about X, do the work for me and tell me about it". If you can find out what types of Wicca there are, you can at least find out basic information about the various traditions, instead of asking us to write you an encyclopedia--Wicca is diverse.

With that being said...Discordianism is not Wicca (unless there's now some big push for Discordian Wicca, which is completely oxymornic...probably more so than one might consider Trinitarian Wicca or Christian Wicca--personally, I don't have a problem with either of these, but many Pagans do), and Wica/Wicce are spelling variations brought in by folks that feel that "Wicca has been too diluted, so we need to distinguish ourselves as being different" (IMO, BS...but that's another subject). Also, just because someone *is* Wiccan (or, in my case, was once Wiccan) does not mean that they know the skinny on every Wiccan tradition out there, any more than a Christian Scientist necessairly knows the ins and outs of Catholic catachism.

Alexandrian and Gardnerian Wicca are founded by Alexander Sanders and Gerald Gardner, respectively . Often they are referred to as BTW--British Traditional Wicca. Both are iniatory, oath-bound traditions. You can't just *be* Alexandrian or Gardnerian without being iniated into a lineaged coven (meaning the coven was founded by persons initiated into a coven that is Alexandrian or Gardnerian AND formed a new coven (called "hiving off") with the blessing/approval of an established lineaged coven/Third Degree HP/HPS). BTW is (at least liturgically) duotheist (the specific names of the deities are sometimes oath bound and occasional specific to the coven--though often its Aradia/Diana or Cerrunonos, and generally refered to outwardly as Lord and Lady or the God and Goddess). Ritual is generally in a circle where quarters are usually called, the Wheel of the Year is celebrated in a certain set of rituals following a certain mythological cycle of the year, and led by a High Priest and Priestess, whom are usually a Thrid Degree initiante. There are also smaller esbat (full moon) rituals. There is no self dediacation to be considered Alexandrian or Gardnerian.

Seax Wicca was created by Raymond Buckland out of Gardnerian Wicca (Buckland was a Gardnerian who founded the first US coven), changing it and basing it upon Saxon symbolism. You can find pretty much everything you need to know from the book Buckland's Book of Saxon Witchcraft (originally published in the 1970's as The Tree or something like that) since Buckland split away from the idea of an oathbound initiatory tradition. Covens are run democratically, and self-dedication is accepted. The Big Blue Book (real name, Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft) is sort of intro reading for his Saxon Witchcraft book.

Blue Star Wicca/Witchcraft is another offshoot of Garnerian Wicca...more info can be found here. Despite some of the dust-up over

Faery Wicca was created by Kisma Stepanich...you can find out more info here, or by reading one of her books.

Georgian Wicca was founded by George Patterson in the US and is based on Gardnerian and Alexandrian Wicca, and teachings from other traditions. It is an iniatory, oath-bound tradition, with its own lineage. While based on Gardneriand and Alexandrian Wicca, it is not lineaged from them, and is fairly eclectic. More information can be found on their website.

Y Tylwyth Teg is a tradition found in the 1960s by an American, William B. Wheeler III (aka Rhuddlwm Gawr)and merge Welsh folklore, Hebrew Kabbalah, duotheism, NeoGardnerianism, and some Atlantis stuff. I know nothing about it, except that it exists (or at one point existed)...and that there is a another tradition by the same name as well, and they are easy to get confused.

"Central Valley Wicca" is the name for Wiccan traditions and covens that developed from the first coven that made it to the West Coast (CA's Central Valley)--Kingstone Tradition is one of these (no idea how good this site was, work blocked it). Also, I think Mohesian or American Wicca comes from this, or is influenced by it.

Other specific traditions I'm aware of include Avonian Wicca, Deboran Witchcraft, Bardic Wicca, Algard Wicca, Nova Wicca, McFarland Wicca (which is sort of Dianic), Pecti-wicca, Protean tradition, Scotican Wicca...but you'll have to do your own research here. Other types of Wicca include Dianic Wicca (of which there are a variety of feminist Goddess emphasizing or exclusive Wicca or Wiccan-ish traditions, including Starhawk's Reclaiming Tradtion), Celtic Wicca, Norse Wicca, Egyptian Wicca, etc--these three merge the pantheons and symbols of those specific ancient cultures with Wicca and there are a number of specific traditions and groups within them...and then there's Christian Wicca and Trinitarian Wicca, which are a synchretic blend of aspects of Christianity and Wicca.
          “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
          ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
          ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

thank you very much for any information given, it gives me a start on any research i may plan on doing.

Comment

And thank you OP, I find that this is very helpful. I'm still researching myself

Comment

There is also a wicca sect called corellian wica?

Comment

Originally posted by mohit View Post
                  There is also a wicca sect called corellian wica?
                  I'm not sure I personally would consider the Correllian Nativist Tradition to be Wiccan, per se (in the same way that Dianic Wicca is not necessairly Wiccan--no Gardnerian roots). In Correllian writings Wicca is used synonymously for witchcraft, rather than as the distinct religious tradition established by Gardner.

When it comes to determing "what is Wicca/Wiccan?" (without this devolving into a debate on the matter) I personally look for three things, or a natural evolution of/from them--some sort of duotheistic theology (maybe combined with soft polytheist or pantheism, maybe not), some mythology involving the Wheel of the Year, and some form of ethics that reference the law of return and Wiccan rede.
                  “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
                  ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
                  ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Well I'd suggest research . I looked at all the sections of wicca , through satanism, and a bit of the black magic , and a little dose of heathenry make up my path I don't really follow a set in stone idea made by someone else . As for me giving u this information u asked for I don't plan on writing an essay for your convenience . Google it research it read a book , I'm sixteen and I've done a lot of reading and researching , if I can do it you can do it to
                    Knowledge is the key to eternity. Not bowing before a deity not grovling at the feet of a messiah. Knowledge is power beyond mesure - satanic witch

Comment

Working...
                    X