X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions questions

A. Can i be an atheist Celtic pagan?
    B.What do you think of this website? Link removed by moderation staff -- suggested link replacement : http://kickbuttmama.blogspot.com/200...explained.html (please see MO and thal's comments for explainations, should you want one!)
    C. Initiation rights?
    Last edited by thalassa; 25 Jul 2014, 05:47.

Re: Questions questions

A. Not my place to comment.

B. We'll get back to this.

C. Initiation rites are path and tradition specific. Some paths use them, some don't, I can't comment without knowing what path you're looking into.

back to B.

That link is copypasting other peoples' work without giving credit. This does not amuse me.

Interested parties can find the information it presents at

Internet Sacred Text Archive - Quiet place in cyberspace devoted to religious tolerance and scholarship.

whose honor and legality I have slightly more faith in. The link itself is being pulled from your post because I really don't want anything smelling remotely like plagiarism on this site.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Here's a reading list: http://paganwiccan.about.com/od/reco...PaganBooks.htm
      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
      -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by jaidynfaith View Post
        A. Can i be an atheist Celtic pagan?
        Sure, you can...how well you do it depends on you--on what you do and believe and how you sync them together. I've known any number of atheist or agnostic (enter name of tradition) Pagans...we used to have a member that was Heathen (and a recon) and also happened to be agnostic. His practice was Heathen, but he didn't believe in the gods as actual entities. Right now, I know (in my meet-up group) an Hellenic Pagan and a Wiccan (specifically, Blue Star) who are an atheist and a humanist, respectively...over the years, I've met the occasional atheist or agnostic or humanist or naturalistic pantheist Wiccans, Hellenic and/or Roman Pagans, Norse/Germanic Pagans, Celtic Pagans, Egyptian Pagans, even a Trinitarian Wiccan that was agnostic.

(for that matter, I also know several progressive Christians that are atheist or agnostic)

What I have noticed people have in common in that regard is that they feel that there is value in god-language--in symbolism and mythology and relationship with an idea. If you have that, then the idea of engaging in ritual and a symbolic and allegorical understanding of that symbolism and mythology and those ideas aren't hypocritical. If you can enter in religious belief without that hypocricy (don't get me wrong, there will still be some conflict...which will require compromise and the willingness to throw out the baby or the bathwater as appropriate), then being an non-deist in belief can be done well.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post

C. Initiation rites are path and tradition specific. Some paths use them, some don't, I can't comment without knowing what path you're looking into.

back to B.
          I'm going to add a bit to this...

On some futher review of the link (which is definately copypasta of *something*), I'm going to post what looks to be like the original author's blog post:

http://kickbuttmama.blogspot.com/200...explained.html

Granted this, too, could be ganked from something she found online (heck, they could be the same person), but I'm more comfortable with going with this one than the other one as it predates the post by several years and the post is consistent with the bloggers other work (as opposed to the original link, of which the entirel blog is copypasta). We do ask, that if anyone wants to quote anything from the post to check and see if it shows up anywhere else first...because its not (though its not my thing) bad stuff, and whomever wrote it should get the appropriate credit. In the mean time, we'll act like this person is the originator of the material until shown differently.

Also, MO's sacred text link is a good source of info for tons of paths.
          Last edited by thalassa; 25 Jul 2014, 05:53.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post

back to B.

That link is copypasting other peoples' work without giving credit. This does not amuse me.

Interested parties can find the information it presents at

Internet Sacred Text Archive - Quiet place in cyberspace devoted to religious tolerance and scholarship.

whose honor and legality I have slightly more faith in. The link itself is being pulled from your post because I really don't want anything smelling remotely like plagiarism on this site.

Wasn't trying to cause harm or "plagiarize" i just wanted someone confirmation that the information was legitimate and not bull poopy sorry for any inconvenience

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
            who are an atheist and a humanist,
            i keep seeing this term humanist and i have never heard it before is it really just a belief in humanity?

Comment

Wasn't trying to cause harm or "plagiarize" i just wanted someone confirmation that the information was legitimate and not bull poopy sorry for any inconvenience
              Its not you...its one of the things to learn how to detect on the net (or anywhere really---gotta say this for the internet, it makes it easier to catch!)

Besides, we took care of it!

i keep seeing this term humanist and i have never heard it before is it really just a belief in humanity?
              Not exactly...the atheist/agnostic section has a humanism thread, you should check it out. It has pretty decent references!
              sigpic

Comment

- - - Updated - - -

Trust me when I say that if I considered you directly responsible for that link, you'd know it in no uncertain terms. As is, detecting plagiarism is something you pick up with experience. I don't inflict punishments for most sincere mistakes. I just don't intend to give that link space here.
                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Working...
                X