This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What about chickens?

Yeah, it's like, "if that's the table 'scraps'? I don't wanna see the table!" LOL

Granted, Rae'ya's mention of table scraps reminded me of just that one, single occasion, that was far from the norm... but the concept of being ethically responsible for the health of your dog seems to slip in and out of focus, for my mom.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

My husband's mother used to give her dogs chocolate & coffee on a regular basis. They couldn't figure out what happened when every dog they owned ended up w/pancreas, liver &/or kidney failure.

The first time my husband mentioned giving one of our dogs a piece of chocolate, I almost hit him. He had no idea that there were foods that animals cannot eat. His mother still insists the dogs she poisoned had genetic issues, or got sick from insect bites.

I won't let her give treats directly to our dog. She has to hand them to me or Rob before we'll give them to the dog. Prevention is the best medicine.
      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

The reason that I put 'homecooked diets' in inverted commas is that most people don't balance them properly, therefore they are not adequate diets at all. The best quality ingredients in the world don't mean jack shit if you don't provide them in the correct balance.

Incidentally, the average life expectancy of a domestic dog 'in the wild' is 4 years. A hundred years ago, the average life expectancy of a pet dog was not that much longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
          A hundred years ago, the average life expectancy of a pet dog was not that much longer.
          A lot of that was about how we treat our animals now vs. back then, and not just the diet. I can't remember where I read it, but the average life expectancy of a dog in a poor urban neighborhood is 2 years.
          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Working...
          X