Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your alignment?

Apr 2014
    Religion
    Shinto
    Phrase
    That being said...

What's your alignment?

Odds are that if you are familiar with things like role-playing then you might very well be familiar with the nine alignment system. The nine alignment system is the general moral and ethical views of a character or person, and is formed of two words that can be split into three ethical categories; lawful, neutral, chaotic, and three moral categories; good, neutral, evil.

I thought it would be pretty interesting for users to highlight our own outlooks and alignments in real life, so I decided to make this thread a place for discussing our own views and alignments, as well as things related to the alignment system generally.

If you do not already know your alignment , then you can just click the link here and take a quiz which will place you on an alignment position based on your answers to its questions.

Additionally, I am also interested in seeing the reasons why we tend to lean towards certain alignments, and what we believe our alignments to mean. Feel free to go beyond simply stating your alignment and commenting and discussing the topic as well.

I fall under the alignment of Lawful Neutral.

"A lawful neutral character acts as law, tradition, or a personal code directs her. Order and organization are paramount to her. She may believe in personal order and live by a code or standard, or she may believe in order for all and favor a strong, organized government. The common phrase for lawful neutral is "true lawful." Lawful neutral is the best alignment you can be because it means you are reliable and honorable without being a zealot."

--excerpted from the Player’s Handbook, Chapter 6

This means, to me, that maintaining order, and the rule of law, as well as maintaining a strict adherence of the law, is placed at the forefront of my outlook. Things such as the moral good or evil are less of the foremost concern, and, in terms of morals and ethics, I tend to be driven more by my system of belief than by deciding certain things are good or bad. It means that the law is universally applied to all people, and that no one in any position is to be able to avoid the consequences of violating the law, regardless of they do so for good or evil intentions, although this does not mean that there cannot be reward for honourable actions along with said punishment.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Re: What's your alignment?

I tend to be true neutral, or neutral good.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Apr 2005
    Religion
    Hedgewitch

Chaotic Neutral

A chaotic neutral character follows his whims. He is an individualist first and last. He values his own liberty but doesn’t strive to protect others’ freedom. He avoids authority, resents restrictions, and challenges traditions. The chaotic neutral character does not intentionally disrupt organizations as part of a campaign of anarchy. To do so, he would have to be motivated either by good (and a desire to liberate others) or evil (and a desire to make those different from himself suffer). The common phrase for chaotic neutral is "true chaotic." Remember that the chaotic neutral character may be unpredictable, but his behavior is not totally random. He is not as likely to jump off a bridge as to cross it. Chaotic neutral is the best alignment you can be because it represents true freedom both from society’s restrictions and from a do-gooder’s zeal.

I occasionally get chaotic good on these tests, but most of the time it's chaotic neutral.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

If we take NWN2 as a guide, I start at True Neutral and end up as Lawful Good by the end.

Edit: The only way I'll accept the title Lawful Good is if we operate on Augustine's principle of

"An unjust law is no law at all."
    Last edited by MaskedOne; 27 Jul 2014 at 06:51.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

I would call myself chaotic good, but according to the little quiz, it's neutral good.

I'd say depends on the day.
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Jul 2013
    Religion
    Kemetic reconstructionist, I guess... Solitary. devotee of Djehuty and Bast
    Phrase
    Rawr

It says I'm Lawful Neutral... I guess it's good. Well, maybe it depends on the case.

- - - Updated - - -

A lawful neutral character acts as law, tradition, or a personal code directs her. Order and organization are paramount to her. She may believe in personal order and live by a code or standard, or she may believe in order for all and favor a strong, organized government. The common phrase for lawful neutral is "true lawful." Lawful neutral is the best alignment you can be because it means you are reliable and honorable without being a zealot.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Jul 2014
    Religion
    eclectic pagan

Based on your answers to the quiz, your character’s most likely alignment is Neutral Good.

Neutral Good

A neutral good character does the best that a good person can do. He is devoted to helping others. He works with kings and magistrates but does not feel beholden to them. The common phrase for neutral good is "true good." Neutral good is the best alignment you can be because it means doing what is good without bias toward or against order.

It makes sense with me, but I always figured myself caught somewhere between chaotic good and true neutral....there is always order within the chaos.

Apr 2014
    Religion
    Shinto
    Phrase
    That being said...

Quote Originally Posted by Gleb View Post
    It says I'm Lawful Neutral... I guess it's good. Well, maybe it depends on the case.
    Lawful Neutrals unite! Let us bring a new era of strict law, order and organisation!

Jul 2013
    Religion
    Kemetic reconstructionist, I guess... Solitary. devotee of Djehuty and Bast
    Phrase
    Rawr

Quote Originally Posted by LunarHarvest View Post
    Lawful Neutrals unite! Let us bring a new era of strict law, order and organisation!
    Agreed. *Summons cats to watch over the area*
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Jul 2014
    Religion
    Pagen

Ah yes Lawful good,.....