This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

13 year old girl says 'I consented'

Florida gymnastics coach, 21, arrested after 'having sex with a 13-year-old girl' and then hiding in her closet

~Justin Thomas Henry, 21 was found at 2am in the bedroom closet of the teen girl in Brandon, near Tampa, Florida

~He was held on charges of lewd and lascivious battery

~The girl told her mother she and Henry had consensual sex

~It is believed he was found by the girl's parents

You know, this isn't the first story of some perv being caught in some girl's closet. Meh.

Henry's arrest followed another incident involving minors in April.
    He was accused of taking three minors from their Polk County subdivision and driving them to Clearwater Beach in the middle of the night without their parents' permission.
    A report by the Polk County Sheriff's Office said he allowed them to drink alcohol in his vehicle.
    El Creepo sauce

So then I started reading the comments. That's usually where those golden nuggets of mass wisdom can be found.

"13 year old girls can't legally consent to sex"
    "True in the legal sense"

So this got me thinking. Can a 13 year old consent to sex? Take the legal part out. I mean, is a 13 year old capable mentally of consenting? If you have kids, look at them. Imagine them 13. Now I know. We all have super uber smarty pants kids. They can count backwards from 1 million. They are amazing artists of self portraits of people as fish. Their question are sooo adorably curious. They must be geniuses!

Kids are dumb humans. That's not a put down. They just don't have the experiences of adults. So can they make an adult decision such as deciding to sleep with a 21 year old?

What say you?
    Satan is my spirit animal

Re: 13 year old girl says 'I consented'

Are some 13 year olds mature enough to make that decision? Sure, it's possible. There are always impressive individuals floating around. Do I think the average 13 year old has that maturity? Nope, not really. The laws aren't built to accomadate the exceptions here but to protect the average 13 year olds. Knowing nothing beyond what you've posted about this case, I have a dim view of the brains, maturity and good judgement of pretty much everyone involved except the parents and the district attorney.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I don't think any 13 year old is capable of making mature decisions such as making sex. No matter how mature they seem, they are not ready for things that are considered mature. That is why they are kids. They are not ready for such decisions. This guy needs to go to jail regardless if she consented or not.
      Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

A 13 yo is not ready to have a baby. If she is not mature enough to take on the reaponsibility of being a mother, then she is not mature enough to make the call on whether she consented or not.
        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
        Seen the desert and the birds
        You cut your hair short
        Like a shush to an insult
        The world had been yelling
        Since the day you were born
        Revolting with anger
        While it smiled like it was cute
        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
          A 13 yo is not ready to have a baby. If she is not mature enough to take on the reaponsibility of being a mother, then she is not mature enough to make the call on whether she consented or not.
          I disagree with you wholeheartedly. I'm almost 28 and I'm not ready for the responsibilities of being a mother. But I sure as hell can consent to sex.

Sex doesn't automatically = motherhood

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
            I disagree with you wholeheartedly. I'm almost 28 and I'm not ready for the responsibilities of being a mother. But I sure as hell can consent to sex.

Sex doesn't automatically = motherhood
            That's true. Though you have knowledge through experience to figure that out. Imagine 13. 13 years olds can't deal with not one single consequence of having sex.

Comment

A 13 year old's brain is not nearly as developed as an adult's brain. That man in her closet had a much more advanced decision making center in his brain (not that he seemed to be putting it to good use) than she did. Adults are simply more capable of understanding the connotations and potential consequences of sex.
              And no, of course sex does not automatically equate with motherhood- hell, I've been doing it since my late teens and I have yet to see a single baby come out of my lady parts- but is a 13 year old really capable of taking the proper precautions to prevent pregnancy?
              It's sick to take advantage of a naive child who has yet to reach mental or physiological maturity.

Comment

Yuck. Whether a 13 year old can consent is entirely irrelevant, methinks. If you're an adult who has sexual thoughts about 13 year old kids, you are a pedophile and need psychological intervention.

Comment

Around here, it's pretty common for parents to ALLOW the bf of a 13-14-15 year old girl to sleep over with her. If she gets pregnant, it's more welfare money. These are the same people who will shout from the highest mountain about their religious family values, but talking and walking are two different things.

When I was 13 I had my first real kiss and that moment was life-changing and memorable to this very day as the wonderful, giddy, crush-type thing it SHOULD have been. Was I ready for anything else? Hell to the no-est power of no.
                  sigpic
                  Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

13 is when I had my first sexual experiences. I barely even remember them now, they just weren't that important to me. As for any potential consequences? ...Well, I knew and understood them, that's what sex ed is for, but whether I was intelligent enough at that age to truly consider them, I can't say. EDIT: Oh, and it was with someone of similar age, so the "abuse" doesn't factor in.

I guess I'll echo MO in saying that some kids can handle it, some can't, but the laws are there to protect the ones that aren't.

Real issue is the guy. Should not have been fucking around with kids. Jesus.
                    Yikes, all that cultural appropriation that used to be here tho

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                      That's true. Though you have knowledge through experience to figure that out. Imagine 13. 13 years olds can't deal with not one single consequence of having sex.
                      Some kids are naive, some are victims. Others, not so much.

By 13, I knew where babies came from & knew I didn't want any. I also knew about STIs & how to prevent them. When I was 8, my mother handed me The Teenaged Body Book after she discovered me discovering myself, and I took it as a sign that sex was awesome & should be explored.

By the time I was 13, I was a sexual predator of people two to three times my age. I came on to everyone I wasn't related to - and a surprising number of them said yes. All of the people I had sex with before I hit 16 were technically rapists. None of them were ever charged with it, I never blew my cool or ratted anyone out. I was discrete. I bought condoms, lube, knew where Planned Parenthood was & got birth control all on my own. I never got pregnant & always got clean check-ups.

For the curious, I was never molested or raped as a child (and if I was, I don't remember it at all)... I was just extremely horny.

Some 27 years later, I have no regrets - it was all good clean fun. Even though my experiences were relatively safe, sane & consensual, I don't think it's behavior that should be condoned because the potential for abuse is too great.
                      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Ophidia View Post
                        Some kids are naive, some are victims. Others, not so much.

By 13, I knew where babies came from & knew I didn't want any. I also knew about STIs & how to prevent them. When I was 8, my mother handed me The Teenaged Body Book after she discovered me discovering myself, and I took it as a sign that sex was awesome & should be explored.

By the time I was 13, I was a sexual predator of people two to three times my age. I came on to everyone I wasn't related to - and a surprising number of them said yes. All of the people I had sex with before I hit 16 were technically rapists. None of them were ever charged with it, I never blew my cool or ratted anyone out. I was discrete. I bought condoms, lube, knew where Planned Parenthood was & got birth control all on my own. I never got pregnant & always got clean check-ups.

For the curious, I was never molested or raped as a child (and if I was, I don't remember it at all)... I was just extremely horny.

Some 27 years later, I have no regrets - it was all good clean fun. Even though my experiences were relatively safe, sane & consensual, I don't think it's behavior that should be condoned because the potential for abuse is too great.
                        You are def the exception. But I must add...this is what predators imagine when they go for a 12 year old. They fantasize it's like this in their mind. You are right. It shouldn't be condoned because you can't tell the sexually aware from the sexually abused. Case in point. I was sexually active with older people including my teacher when I was a senior in hs. I was sexually molested as a small child. I'm the other side of that coin.

Since we can't tell what side of a coin kids land in, it should be a no no.

Comment

No doubt the guy is a pedo, but I think that it depends on the 13-year-old in question. I'm not saying it's right at all - but there are a hell of a lot of 13-year-olds having sex in today's world.

When I was 13, I didn't want to do anything but play with Ninja Turtles.

Comment

With all the hormones and stuff in our foods and how they are changing the visible body development I truly wonder at times if the person is even able to tell the girls true biological age. let me tell you I've seen some 10 - 13 year old's that would put to shame body wise many of the 18 - 22 year old's I knew back in my youth. If I go by personal experience your not doing a whole lot of exploration of a persons age and development when your sitting in a bar or many social functions, its all sized up based upon physical appearance.

Granted in this case I am assuming the person knew the actual age of the girl in question which to me changes the whole scenario. Yet in the past i've seen far to many false ID's and young people passing themselves off as being much older than they actually are.

On a side note though I do find it interesting how for sex the collective we will say they are to immature and young to make a legitimate call and decession, then turn around and say the same person is capable of making a mature call about spirituality / religion. Same person, same education and mental capabilities but quite different presumed abilities about how mature they are and what they want to do with their lives and yes even body considering some of the body art that goes with some pagan pathways.
                            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                              So this got me thinking. Can a 13 year old consent to sex? Take the legal part out. I mean, is a 13 year old capable mentally of consenting? If you have kids, look at them. Imagine them 13. Now I know. We all have super uber smarty pants kids. They can count backwards from 1 million. They are amazing artists of self portraits of people as fish. Their question are sooo adorably curious. They must be geniuses!

Kids are dumb humans. That's not a put down. They just don't have the experiences of adults. So can they make an adult decision such as deciding to sleep with a 21 year old?

What say you?
                              I say, yes, a 13 year old is old enough to consent to sex. And I think this is exactly our problem with early teenage sex... many societies like to think that they aren't old enough, and so don't think to educate them. 13 year olds have a sexual drive... even if you weren't having sex, how many of you were masturbating at 13? We'll throw into that sexual drive today's media, celebrities and sexualisation of girls and 'sex' is a lot more acceptable to a 13 year old nowdays than it was even when I was 13.

There are enough sexually active and pregnant 13 year olds in the world to suggest that 13 years olds are more than capable of consent. And the consequences? At 13, understanding consequences is more about education than age. I understood the consequences when I was 13... because I'd already been through 2-3 years of sex-ed, had 'the talk' and discussed it with my friends. At 13 I was old enough NOT to consent when my 13 year old 'boyfriend' wanted to do more than kiss. The decision not to consent is, in many cases, just a complex as the decision to consent.

I think we need to give kids more credit. Yes, they are not fully developed human beings. Yes, their brains are not capable of a lot of the complex decision making and forward planning that adult brains are. But you know what? Pre-teens actually have more of that than teenagers do. I have more faith in an educated 13 year old than I do in an educated 15 year old. I think we need to wake up and stop treating kids like glass baubles incapable of independent thought. Just because they can't think like adults doesn't mean they can't think.

Comment

Working...
                              X