Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have have a spell they would recommend to enhance artistic abilities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone have have a spell they would recommend to enhance artistic abilities?

I've been spending a lot of time painting and drawing, however, I am curious as to whether a spell may enhance this?

Re: Does anyone have have a spell they would recommend to enhance artistic abilities?

It's too bad that no one responded to this; it would have been interesting to see what people have come up with

I've been wanting a spell like this myself, so here's what I came up with as I haven't had much luck finding anything already written that speaks to me:

Lady Goddess of the dream filled moon,
    Bless me with your holy boon!
    Invoke within this heart of mine,
    Your creative spirit of the Devine,
    And guide my hands to works sublime,
    For this is the inspired time,
    And all The World is mine!

Inscribe the 'Gebo' rune on a Quartz stone or a wooden disk and fill it with creative energy. Gebo, from my understanding, can represent a partnership or/and a gift. It can mean a union with your higher self or/and Divinity.

The way I see it, creativity is a gift of Divinity and you can only receive it when you are connected to the Devine source, of have a union or partnership with the Devine source, so that's why I chose Gebo.

Storms always seem to help me when I'm trying to fill an object with energy, or being at the sea shore. I also have great results just in my bedroom within a sacred circle as well.

Use the inscribed object to help you concentrate on Devine creativity filling you whenever you need it while reciting the spell.

Comment

Re: Does anyone have have a spell they would recommend to enhance artistic abilities?

besides 'Gebo' you could use 'kenaz' as that rune is a form of fire of creativity.

also the stones, Picasso stone,lapis lazuli,green tourmaline and of course quartz(with one of these stones).
      Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Good With Kethup.

Comment

Originally posted by SleepingCompass View Post
        The way I see it, creativity is a gift of Divinity and you can only receive it when you are connected to the Devine source, of have a union or partnership with the Devine source,...
        Totally agree with this. My creativity with music is directly affected by the health of my spirituality. I can still do a bit, but it sounds boring and lacks personality.

Comment

I'm going to be the arse here and say use the Beethoven spell, sit your butt down and practice and practice and practice. NO spells, so special ingredients, no special steps one gets better artistically by doing. Those who are meant to be artistic will be those who are not will not be that simple.
          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
            I'm going to be the arse here and say use the Beethoven spell, sit your butt down and practice and practice and practice. NO spells, so special ingredients, no special steps one gets better artistically by doing. Those who are meant to be artistic will be those who are not will not be that simple.
            I agree that one gets better technical skill by practice, but I also agree that creativity can be influenced by health, the mental and emotional state and spirituality.

So it depends on what the OP wants to improve. Skill needs practice, and there's no spell in the world that will improve technical skill without the hard yards being put in first (even those of us with good technical skills and natural artistic talent need to practice regularly). Creativity is a whole other matter though, and is what the other posters have been talking about. Having said that, a spell might be able to keep you motivated to practice. And having a deity helping you practice may help you to learn faster... but I agree that neither of those things on their own will help with technical skill.

Comment

I think that creativity can be enhanced with meditation,a communing with the spirits as I see it. Not so much a spell or ritual,as much as putting your thoughts and spirit in a healing and enlightening place. Just my take,and I always feel a lot more inspired after meditation.
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

that is a big yes here. but sometimes you need a little more than just that. there is artist which uses some similar practices with Christianity and that got him work for DC comics. but he will also tell you to do the "Beethoven spells" as well. you work your butt off with the drawing.

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                I agree that one gets better technical skill by practice, but I also agree that creativity can be influenced by health, the mental and emotional state and spirituality.
                without practice any of the spells,stones,runes.etc. will be worthless.

So it depends on what the OP wants to improve. Skill needs practice, and there's no spell in the world that will improve technical skill without the hard yards being put in first (even those of us with good technical skills and natural artistic talent need to practice regularly). Creativity is a whole other matter though, and is what the other posters have been talking about. Having said that, a spell might be able to keep you motivated to practice. And having a deity helping you practice may help you to learn faster... but I agree that neither of those things on their own will help with technical skill.
                yep . totally agree here.
                Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Good With Kethup.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post

I wrote a lengthy reply about my own experiences (speed version: after deciding it was my slackness preventing me from getting good at Japanese, I upped my game dramatically. Yet after over 2 years of studying/practicing for at least 1-3 hours per day and making very little progress, I tried doing a spell to remove whatever it was causing me to struggle so much only to find that *poof* I finally start performing like I should for my level!), because I wanted to make this exact same point. No one is asking to replace practice here. You made the point much better than I did though. So instead I'll just say; 'here, here.. Been there and I know practice is essential, but definitely not the full picture!

Oh but the OP was asking for a spell. Well, I didn't exactly do a spell. I just.. wait.. I'm pretty sure I posted about it already on PF. Hmm, I did.. it's here--->http://www.paganforum.com/showthread...ht=linguistics (comment 43)

So it was more like a prayer followed by a little meditation so I could receive an answer. With the information I was given, I set about including charms and mental tricks to my normal study routine. Creating a special atmosphere in my work area helped to keep me from distractions so I got more from my study time. Pretty themed stationary was inviting and made me want an excuse to use it. But most importantly, I started to study and perform from the heart instead of the head and I seemed to come on in leaps and bounds overnight!

Actually.. the last post in that thread talks about an awesome guided visualisation I found. Maybe it could help to do a similar visualisation.. imagining yourself a year from now having achieved the skill-level you desire, and then rolling back a few months at a time, seeing yourself at each point in time until you are facing your current self, and asking yourself what steps you can take right now in order to reach the next stage of your development. I've found this so helpful, and started applying it to other things besides language learning.
                  夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I think a spell might work for artistic inspiration. Lets face it sometimes other things allow us to see the creation that lies hidden within the wood so to speak. Yet I do not think inspiration is the same as skill nor as truly possessing of an artistic spirit. Seen lots of artist who will never be more than they are because they have no inspiration. Seen lots of artist who have a ton of inspiration but no natural artistic skill and they will never be more than they are. Occasionally even see one who has both the skill and inspiration to be great based upon world and / or peer review criticism of their works.

I'd personally say getting hired by DC or any comic group for that matter suggests there is a lot of skill and ability to begin with. A lot of practice and repetition of skill sets to refine them yet expand them into different mediums. Otherwise there sort of one hit wonders and are soon passed by or let go for the artist who works in many mediums. Yes they may have a medium of choice they prefer but most often they are more dynamic.

Deity inspiration seems historically to come from being inspired by them and creating a work of art for them. Don't recall to many deity stories of the god / goddess actually guiding the hand of creation. The hand especially must first show a dedication and love of the deity and many times gains their attention via the works.

To me the idea of a spell to increase artistic ability or focus is like the many spells requesting how to get better grades in school. There is a short coming in the methodology of the person and their ability to apply themselves and they try to cheat instead of fully applying. The old "Well I can study for a couple of hours or I can cast a spell and get it that way in a few minutes!"
                    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

The hard part is required for any lasting benefit but I could see a spell or prayer netting a few pieces of insight and sometimes small insights are worth more than 10 hours worth of trudging. I had a classmate in some programming classes who put insane amounts of time and effort into his work but still ended up needing help because I could generally find the logic errors in his work in about 15 minutes and he might fight to fix an error for three hours or more. He's pretty proficient now but that's a mix of him putting more sweat into his work than any two of his classmates and the fact that I had the time and inclination to find his errors and beat him over the head with them. Without assistance, he might still be proficient but it'd be at the cost of more time and sweat than all of his classmates combined and if he wasn't willing to work his ass off to compensate for a lack of natural talent then I'd have walked away.

TL,DR, the gods may help those who help themselves but that means you work your ass off and pray instead of just praying.
                      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Perfect practise makes perfect!
                        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                        Seen the desert and the birds
                        You cut your hair short
                        Like a shush to an insult
                        The world had been yelling
                        Since the day you were born
                        Revolting with anger
                        While it smiled like it was cute
                        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I think a spell might work for artistic inspiration.
                          agreed.

Lets face it sometimes other things allow us to see the creation that lies hidden within the wood so to speak. Yet I do not think inspiration is the same as skill nor as truly possessing of an artistic spirit.
                          no it isn't. but a spell can unblock or block that skill. as if something terrible happened to the artist it will hinder their skills as will something wonderful will either do nothing or increase the artist's skills.

[quote]Seen lots of artist who will never be more than they are because they have no inspiration. Seen lots of artist who have a ton of inspiration but no natural artistic skill and they will never be more than they are. Occasionally even see one who has both the skill and inspiration to be great based upon world and / or peer review criticism of their works.[quote] I have seen that. but I have seen more poor artistic skills as well as no inspiration.

I'd personally say getting hired by DC or any comic group for that matter suggests there is a lot of skill and ability to begin with. A lot of practice and repetition of skill sets to refine them yet expand them into different mediums. Otherwise there sort of one hit wonders and are soon passed by or let go for the artist who works in many mediums. Yes they may have a medium of choice they prefer but most often they are more dynamic.
                          with comic books as marvel editor Tom Brevroot says on hiring. one their has to be an opening, two the work has to be good and three which is the most important. it goes on the whim of the editor. so that becomes a wild card. but of course if your work is crap then no amount of spells will help you.

Deity inspiration seems historically to come from being inspired by them and creating a work of art for them. Don't recall to many deity stories of the god / goddess actually guiding the hand of creation. The hand especially must first show a dedication and love of the deity and many times gains their attention via the works.
                          well for visual arts it is unknown for me too of any deity that does that. and if any it would be for poetry and music.

To me the idea of a spell to increase artistic ability or focus is like the many spells requesting how to get better grades in school. There is a short coming in the methodology of the person and their ability to apply themselves and they try to cheat instead of fully applying. The old "Well I can study for a couple of hours or I can cast a spell and get it that way in a few minutes!"
                          well spells for better grades in school deal mainly in helping the person concentrate better. actually without studying you can not get it done. but with both spellwork and study . as these will enhance your abilities.

Comment

Rae'ya's response to monsno_leedra's first post covered, for the most part, what I wanted to say in a very concise way, so I won't touch much of this first post, but I did want to add that I found the following sentence worthy of further comment: "Those who are meant to be artistic will be those who are not will not be that simple."

I disagree.

I do think some of us are born with natural talents that might start us off with an advantage, but I also believe we are all capable of learning and improving; of achieving new levels of talent, artistic, creativity or otherwise.

Moving on to your next post:
                            I think a spell might work for artistic inspiration. Lets face it sometimes other things allow us to see the creation that lies hidden within the wood so to speak.
                            Yes, I agree with you here which is why I decided to share my own personal spell with the group.

Yet I do not think inspiration is the same as skill nor as truly possessing of an artistic spirit.
                            I'm not sure exactly what you were trying to say in the above sentence...

Seen lots of artist who will never be more than they are because they have no inspiration. Seen lots of artist who have a ton of inspiration but no natural artistic skill and they will never be more than they are.
                            Again, here it seems like you are saying we are all stuck at our current innate levels of ability/talent; improvement, change and learning are impossible. Not only is it a bit of a depressing outlook on both artistic skills/talent and inspiration/creativity, but I also think you are wrong. I believe that change and growth is always possible, even for something like innate talent, inspiration, creativity, or what have you. Even if the change/growth is slow and hard to see, it is still happening if the person is truly trying.

I'm not sure what you are saying in the above, exactly. I think you're saying that it's wrong to ask deity for inspiration and help because you can't think of any historical examples of people asking Deity for inspiration, but that's just silly, in my opinion (if I'm understanding you right). The muses are the first thing that popped into my head. I find it hard to believe that no historical artists called on them for help in both finding inspiration/creativity when working on their art. Even in modern times people still call on them; you can do a quick search on Google for praying to the muses for artistic inspiration and you'll have thousands of results.

Since when is performing spells cheating???? Everyone can perform a spell if they so wish, so in no way, shape or form is it cheating. I think you are ignoring the original question on this thread, which was:
                            Originally posted by moonstone View Post
                            I've been spending a lot of time painting and drawing, however, I am curious as to whether a spell may enhance this?
                            The OP is asking for spells to 'enhance artistic abilities', not to 'cheat' in any way. They even said, "I've been spending a lot of time painting and drawing..." So they haven't been shirking the mundane side of things at all.

Maybe the misunderstanding is in the definition of what a 'spell' is? To me, a spell is the same as a prayer; asking Deity for help. Just because we ask, doesn't mean that Deity has to help us. I think if we haven't done the necessary work in the mundane world first, our spells are a lot more likely to fail. Work and effort fuel our spells, so I don't believe that 'cheating' is even possible when performing magic.

Comment

Originally posted by moonstone View Post
                              "By yarrow and rue, and my redcap too."

Comment

Working...
                              X