This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Wedding Thread

You have Torey and I to blame for this thread ...

Originally posted by Rhaethe View Post
    I am on my second glass of sangria and this is what I am thinking about ... if anyone here would be interested in me making a thread to show and talk about our pagan weddings.
    Originally posted by Torey View Post
    I would be...
    Basically, this is the thread in which you can share you pagan wedding. All the details you are comfortable in sharing, and any pictures.

I will start with mine in the next post.

- - - Updated - - -

My husband and I both come from families that are strongly Christian. That being said, all family member are also strongly open minded. We opted for a pagan ceremony, in which a friend of ours, a Priestess of Avalon, of the The Goddess Worship, officiated ... yet we incorporated animist, Asatru, Slavic, and spiritual aspects.

Here is our program that we gave to all folks that attended:

Scott and Cari are getting married today
    (You've probably figured this out by now)

What do Icelandic sagas, vintage styles, faeries, and comicbook heroes have in common? Not much ... other than us. These are just some of the things we both find intriguing, inspring, or just plain fun, and we've opted to incorporate them and other shared whimsical oddities into our special day. Here's how its going to go.

If gremlins don't attack the electronics, you will probably hear some music.

First will come our Officiant, the ever so lovely Priestess (redacted).
    We call her Keeper of the Paperbits
    (Speaking of which, don't worry about not seeing us sign the Paperbits, we signed it before the ceremony to help keep things short and sweet.)

Next, you will see our awesome Attendants {redacted} to help our mothers and grandmothers (redacted) to their seats. These ladies have been waiting a long time for this day, so they get the Special Seating. (If you are curious, and why wouldn't you be? our families are as follows: (redacted)

Finally, you'll see us come down that aisle hand in hand. This is a journey we wish to take together from the very beginning.

Once in place our Attendants will say a few words ... Remember that Icelandic Saga we mentioned?

Then the Ceremony. Reflecting us, it is non-denominational, and incorporating some very old cultural traditions, such as elemental/seasonal blessings and handfasting. You might get asked to say something by our Priestess ... don't be shy in answering! You'll also see some familiar traditions such as the ring-trading ... Cause who doesn't like some bling and sparkle?

And whoosh, we're done! Yes, that's it. Hopefully it was lovely, but you may be wondering what's next? Well, we have a Late Lunch prepared for you, with sandwiches and chowdah and other such tasty nibbly-bits. Oh and cupcakes and who doesn't love cupcakes, especially ones baked by Heavenly Delights Bakery? Our ever so awesome hosts, The Samoset, are prepared to help you to the place you want to be. Don't worry about us, our photographer the delightful (redacted), will be taking loads and loads of pictures of us and we'll be along very soon. If you want to join in the snap-happy fun, please do!

We thank you profusely for attending and being a part of our very special day.

Here is the saga we had recited. Our brother in law speaks Icelandic, so recited it in Icelandic. It was beautiful.

Wedding Party Man One:
    Many believe the old Viking Sagas are all about pirating and kings and legendary warriors, filled with larger-than-life heroes and epic battles. There is one saga, however, that tells a tale of romance. It is the story of Ingebjorg and Frithiof. They were lovers who, in the true romantic style, had to overcome various hindrances to each other, the objections and concerns of family and friends, and the trials of the hero's journey. It was a journey that their love and will to be together would ultimately set them forth on. In the end, with concerns resolved and their obstacles overcome, her hand was finally put into his to be his wife, and it is quoted from there:
    Wedding party man two:
    Wedding party man one;
    May our Bride and Groom's trials also be behind them, and may their future be as blessed as those in the myths and tales of old.

The ceremony in entirety is here: http://rhaethe.net/variousthings/ceremony/

And pictures: http://rhaethe.net/weddingpics/

Re: The Wedding Thread

We had a handfasting and chose vows that were largely non-religious (either pagan or otherwise). We had an outdoor ceremony at an amazingly beautiful historical site, Old Government House in Belair National Park. The ceremony was on the formal rose lawn (though we were a few weeks early for the lovely white roses) and we had covered trestle tables on the paved terrace for nibbles and drinks. OGH has it's own small formal gardens and terraces, but is surrounded by the natural bushland of Belair National Park... so we had the best of both formal and wild surroundings.

We didn't specific set out to have a 'pagan' wedding... we just had the wedding that we wanted and didn't get caught up in anything more than that. Torey's family couldn't make it (we got married here in Australia) and so the only religious person we invited was my grandma... she couldn't make it anyway and her only comment about the invitation was that she was pleased I was including my Irish heritage by having a handfasting!

The one thing that I was absolutely adamant about was that by 'handfasting' I wanted us physically tied together. So I made a lovely tasseled rope about two meters long, my parents tied us together and we stayed tied together for the rest of the day...

Comment

Our wedding was not religious by any means. KP is agnostic and I am pagan and we both have extremely religious families. Because I like to keep the peace whenever possible we kept it non-religious. We picked a JP to officiate for us and she was absolutely amazing. We were married at Mildred B. Cooper Memorial Chapel in Bella Vista Arkansas. If you have never seen it look it up!!! BTW he had the place picked out before he proposed to me. The only thing I had to have in our ceremony was a poem.
      Love By: Roy Croft
      I love you, Not only for what you are, But for what I am When I am with you. I love you, Not only for what You have made of yourself, But for what
      You are making of me. I love you For the part of me That you bring out; I love you For putting your hand Into my heaped-up heart And passing over All the foolish, weak things That you can't help Dimly seeing there,And for drawing out Into the light All the beautiful belongings That no one else had looked Quite far enough to find. I love you because you Are helping me to make Of the lumber of my life Not a tavern But a temple;
      Out of the works Of my every day Not a reproach But a song. I love you Because you have done More than any creed Could have done
      To make me good, And more than any fate To make me happy. You have done it Without a touch, Without a word, Without a sign. You have done it

By being yourself.

Click image for larger version

Name:	kalynkendall-1150.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	352505Click image for larger version

Name:	kalynkendall-1181.jpg
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	352506Click image for larger version

Name:	kalynkendall-1332.jpg
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	352507
      Last edited by kalynraye; 02 Aug 2014, 10:56.
      "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Oooh that chapel is beautiful! I've never seen anything like it!

Comment

Husband is christiab, I'm pagan. I wanted a celebrant he wanted a priest. We settled for a local preist who we both knew quite well and he was quite excited by the idea of the handfasting and ok with taking out as many unnecessary god references as we could.

I have lots and lots of stuff I could share, but I cant be bothered. Feel free to ask questions.

pics will come.
          ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
          Seen the desert and the birds
          You cut your hair short
          Like a shush to an insult
          The world had been yelling
          Since the day you were born
          Revolting with anger
          While it smiled like it was cute
          That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
            Oooh that chapel is beautiful! I've never seen anything like it!
            There is one more about 45 mins away from that one called Thorncrown, made by the same guy however it is all metal and blue. I loved all the trees around Cooper. It was beautiful.

I also absolutely love your dress!!!
            "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post

Fine pictures!

Looks good!

- - - Updated - - -

Comment

Working...
              X