Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feeling drained after meditation/grounding-what's up with that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeling drained after meditation/grounding-what's up with that?

I searched around for a sinilar thread, but many apologies if I missed it.

I've been doing a basic grounding before a short meditation, and I've come out of it feeling really drained and weak. My mind is clearer, and I feel physically healthier from it, except for this ennui that occurs immediately after I come around.

Anyone have any clues on this? Maybe I'm just not breathing properly?

Re: Feeling drained after meditation/grounding-what's up with that?

It could be your breathing, but it could be something else.

I would hesitate to guess unless I knew exactly which technique(s) you were using for your "grounding" and meditation.

Comment

I use your basic "tree root from the butt going into the earth" visualization technique, if that helps.

Comment

I see. Well, to be perfectly honest - I never ground before meditating. It's generally used to siphon away excess energy raised during ritual work, so IMHO it isn't actually necessary to ground before meditating unless you've been doing something that has razzed up your energy levels beforehand. Do you center as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Torey View Post
          I see. Well, to be perfectly honest - I never ground before meditating. It's generally used to siphon away excess energy raised during ritual work, so IMHO it isn't actually necessary to ground before meditating unless you've been doing something that has razzed up your energy levels beforehand. Do you center as well?
          Agree here. I'd be grounding afterwards, to help bring myself 'back'. Not before.
          ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
          Seen the desert and the birds
          You cut your hair short
          Like a shush to an insult
          The world had been yelling
          Since the day you were born
          Revolting with anger
          While it smiled like it was cute
          That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Torey View Post
            I see. Well, to be perfectly honest - I never ground before meditating. It's generally used to siphon away excess energy raised during ritual work, so IMHO it isn't actually necessary to ground before meditating unless you've been doing something that has razzed up your energy levels beforehand.
            For me, being grounded is nothing more than being at the base level of energy (which, IMO is at equilibrium with one's surroundings). I don't find it to just be a matter of discharging extra energy, but rather to cycling out and equilibriating one's energy--which is just as much a matter of taking in energy as letting it out. (though when I do find it necessary to ground in the siphoning sense, I think of myself as a sink full of water and pulling out the plug)

Originally posted by KarrinMurphy View Post
            I use your basic "tree root from the butt going into the earth" visualization technique, if that helps.
            So (IMO)...the purpose of grounding with this imagery is to balance, not just to ground--its a meditation on its own, for the purpose of cycling in new energy from the Earth and out with your own, until you are at balance and refreshed... Trees take in from their roots, and siphon up their trunks and out their stomata (on their leaves), and they take in sun energy from their leaves and then make sugars, which they transport the excess of for storage to their roots. Too many people though, think less like a tree and more like a root is some sort of leaky faucet and end up unbalanced...they don't fill back up to that base level after grounding (in the discharge analogy). Sometimes, when they do this, they also stay leaky, instead of corking themselves back up. Not sure if that is what you did or not...but its a possibility.

Also, a good state of relaxation doesn't always (or in my case, usually) leave one feeling motivated...

Or, if you feel "off center" it might very well be because you are. Part of meditation (whether you ground or not) is centering--coming back, fully to the present...collecting your energies back to within, and not letting them be like the arms on one of those wacky wavy inflatable tube man things. Or, maybe a better metaphor--ever seen a firehose without anyone holding on to it? Centering is about getting control over (or back over) where your energy is going to.

Though, you might be right on the breathing--chest breathing is a no-no, so if you are doing that, you want to be abdomen breathing.
            Last edited by thalassa; 08 Aug 2014, 10:39.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

this explains alot learned I am missing some steps.

Comment

A possibility is that during your meditation you're digging up (and hopefully dealing with) emotional issues which you've buried away on the subconscious level, which is causing pathways on the energetic level to become unblocked (or it could be the other way around, especially if it's happening specifically during the grounding process - it's an ''as above, so below'' kind of deal), which is releasing the energy which was clogged up and stagnated into your system. The good news is that it flushes out after a day or two, especially if you live a healthy lifestyle and are feeling balanced emotionally, (and if you don't, work on that, or you'll just form new blockages as fast as you undo them) and have a regular meditative practice, the bad news is that until then it's going to make you feel varying degrees of bad. It's just part of the cleansing process, not a fun part, but it won't go on forever.

Kind of like the spiritual equivalent of lancing an abscess, which then leaks bacteria into your system which makes you feel bad for a few days while your immune system clears it up. Our modern lifestyle is pretty toxic on the spiritual level, so most people in the Western world have at least a few of these blockages to varying degrees of severity, some a lot more.

If it isn't making you feel bad to the point of being debilitating, seeing an acupuncturist (if you can find a decent one, that's a tricky prospect in my experience) or taking up yoga/chi kung or one of the internal martial arts (Bagua, Tai Chi, etc) should facilitate the process (but again, this depends on finding a good teacher, poor training will cause more harm than good, especially with chi kung).

Comment

Working...
                X