All Things Aquaria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Things Aquaria

I don't want to limit the thread to seeking help or to just displaying members' fish tanks.

Whether it's freshwater, saltwater, tropical fish or coral tanks, this is the thread for enthusiasts of creatures that are home to a watery environment. Pics welcome!

(Depending on activity, this thread may be stickied in the [near?] future. Because of this, I'm not moving the fishy contents of the "whatcha thinkin' 'bout" thread.)

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Re: All Things Aquaria

Such a highly anticipated thread! As many of you know I obtained three silver dollars and an unidentified (honestly I havent actually tried to identify it) sucker fish, along with some equipment and tanks from one of my mom's friends. Unfortunately Henry, one of my silvers, died following a presumed adverse reaction to it's antifungal medication. This leaves me with two silvers who are schooling fish that get agitated when they're in such small groups. I'd rather not get another silver so does anyone know of something else that will calm down Charlie and Hector? Maybe a different fish, or will they get used to there only being two of them?

Here's my tank from a few days ago. The stuff on the right is what I put in and the left ornament was the only one not crumbling from their old tank. You can see Henry in front and if you look close the lightest parts are the fungus. Adam the sucker fish is hiding behind the ornament, it seems to be his preferred place. The tank is currently a bright bluish green as a result of the antifungal medication, and of course minus one fish. Eventually I'll be adding more to the tank but I can't use any real vegetation because the silvers will eat just about anything green.

It's a 30 gallon tank. I've got two air stones, one on each side, and a nice new filter because the old one was busted. I've had it for a few days since this.

“They moaned and squealed, and pressed their snouts to the earth. We are sorry, we are sorry.
    Sorry you were caught, I said. Sorry that you thought I was weak, but you were wrong.”
    -Madeline Miller, Circe

Comment

We have a fish tank in the living room! We had lots of little fishees in there. then as I started coming home at night I noticed one would go missing. By the end of the week all the fish were dead. Except for that one. That fat one.

I'll show myself out.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
        I don't want to limit the thread to seeking help or to just displaying members' fish tanks.

Whether it's freshwater, saltwater, tropical fish or coral tanks, this is the thread for enthusiasts of creatures that are home to a watery environment. Pics welcome!

(Depending on activity, this thread may be stickied in the [near?] future. Because of this, I'm not moving the fishy contents of the "whatcha thinkin' 'bout" thread.)
        Should this be in the pets board? Or am I the only one who thinks of fish as pets rather than a fish-keeping hobby? You know I'm the crazy animal lady... so maybe it's just me...

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
        Such a highly anticipated thread! As many of you know I obtained three silver dollars and an unidentified (honestly I havent actually tried to identify it) sucker fish, along with some equipment and tanks from one of my mom's friends. Unfortunately Henry, one of my silvers, died following a presumed adverse reaction to it's antifungal medication. This leaves me with two silvers who are schooling fish that get agitated when they're in such small groups. I'd rather not get another silver so does anyone know of something else that will calm down Charlie and Hector? Maybe a different fish, or will they get used to there only being two of them?

Here's my tank from a few days ago. The stuff on the right is what I put in and the left ornament was the only one not crumbling from their old tank. You can see Henry in front and if you look close the lightest parts are the fungus. Adam the sucker fish is hiding behind the ornament, it seems to be his preferred place. The tank is currently a bright bluish green as a result of the antifungal medication, and of course minus one fish. Eventually I'll be adding more to the tank but I can't use any real vegetation because the silvers will eat just about anything green.

It's a 30 gallon tank. I've got two air stones, one on each side, and a nice new filter because the old one was busted. I've had it for a few days since this.
        Hon, your water looks a bit cloudy. Or is it just the combination of the photo flash and the antifungal stuff?

If it's at all cloudy (and the antifungal stuff doesn't normally create 'cloudy' just 'colour') then you need to get on top of your ammonia issue. If it's just the effect of the photo flash... pretend I didn't say anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Also... I'm completely ignoring everything about fish in the 'What are you thinking' thread... even though I desperately want to chip in.... because Chain made this thread especially and so I shouldn't continue fish-talk in the other one... argh.

Comment

Rae'ya! If you're *thinking* it, you can post it a reply in "what are you thinking". Silly. It's on-topic, at least. LOL

As for pets, I'm with you on fish being part of the family, that kind of pet, but almost everywhere I turn, setting up an aquarium for any kind of aquatics is considered a hobby[ist]. So, I just didn't feel like nitpicking. Fine. It's a hobby. I can rationalize that by not being able to take my pet fish out for a walk in the park, on a leash. It's not true, of course, but it is accurate. I mean, if fish tanks were a hobby, why aren't the fish sold in hobby stores? They're sold in the pet departments of box stores and at most pet stores. But, whatever.

That said, I do think that certain aquarium setups wouldn't qualify under "pets", though, simply because the aquarium is filled with plant life, and only plants. I didn't want to count those kinds out.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
            Rae'ya! If you're *thinking* it, you can post it a reply in "what are you thinking". Silly. It's on-topic, at least. LOL

As for pets, I'm with you on fish being part of the family, that kind of pet, but almost everywhere I turn, setting up an aquarium for any kind of aquatics is considered a hobby[ist]. So, I just didn't feel like nitpicking. Fine. It's a hobby. I can rationalize that by not being able to take my pet fish out for a walk in the park, on a leash. It's not true, of course, but it is accurate. I mean, if fish tanks were a hobby, why aren't the fish sold in hobby stores? They're sold in the pet departments of box stores and at most pet stores. But, whatever.

That said, I do think that certain aquarium setups wouldn't qualify under "pets", though, simply because the aquarium is filled with plant life, and only plants. I didn't want to count those kinds out.
            There you go... blinding me with logic!

'Tis all true. My brain just goes something along the lines of fish=animals=pets. But hey, I'm the person who felt the need to euthanize her dying goldfish rather than let it die at home in a quarantine tank. So maybe I'm a bit biased.

And yeah... I'm thinking it... so it's on topic. 'Cept that damned thread moves so fast that by the time this side of the world wakes up you guys have all had your conversation and moved on!

Comment

Turtles! TURTLES!!!!!

ForumRunner_20140813_212713.jpg

ForumRunner_20140813_212749.jpg

ForumRunner_20140813_212832.jpg

ForumRunner_20140813_212426.jpg

ForumRunner_20140813_212501.jpg

My current tank, its dirty clearly, but im waiting to set up the monster tank! The box holds a 173kg glass 6x2x2 ft tank. I may be moving house in a few months though... so I'm kinda putting it off haha

Tank has Hammond in it, plus miscellaneous guppies, 2 remaining neon tetras and 5 black tetras. Everything gets eaten, including the val, so we got the black tetras, they're too big for him atm!
              Attached Files
              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
              Seen the desert and the birds
              You cut your hair short
              Like a shush to an insult
              The world had been yelling
              Since the day you were born
              Revolting with anger
              While it smiled like it was cute
              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                Turtles! TURTLES!!!!!

My current tank, its dirty clearly, but im waiting to set up the monster tank! The box holds a 173kg glass 6x2x2 ft tank. I may be moving house in a few months though... so I'm kinda putting it off haha

Tank has Hammond in it, plus miscellaneous guppies, 2 remaining neon tetras and 5 black tetras. Everything gets eaten, including the val, so we got the black tetras, they're too big for him atm!
                Hammond is so cute!

And that is gonna be a serious tank. I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post

Hammond is so cute!

And that is gonna be a serious tank. I love it.
                  I'll have to get some pics of his missing toes lol poor baby!

RIP

You cut your hair short
                  Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                    Should this be in the pets board? Or am I the only one who thinks of fish as pets rather than a fish-keeping hobby? You know I'm the crazy animal lady... so maybe it's just me...

Hon, your water looks a bit cloudy. Or is it just the combination of the photo flash and the antifungal stuff?

If it's at all cloudy (and the antifungal stuff doesn't normally create 'cloudy' just 'colour') then you need to get on top of your ammonia issue. If it's just the effect of the photo flash... pretend I didn't say anything.
                    That particular picture was taken about an hour after the fish went in the tank. The water was all fresh and I hadn't put in antifungal yet. The water was a little cloudy but I was told that's normal for new tanks because of bacteria bloom, or something, so I didn't worry too much. There wasn't a flash on the camera. The water got clearer over the enxt few days but it's getting cloudyish again. I would take a new picture but not much as changed, and the water is a bright blue green (almost looks like I forgot to clean the tank) because of the medicine.

I would consider fish pets too but I get Chain's reasoning.
                    “They moaned and squealed, and pressed their snouts to the earth. We are sorry, we are sorry.
                    Sorry you were caught, I said. Sorry that you thought I was weak, but you were wrong.”
                    -Madeline Miller, Circe

Comment

Hence, the use of the word aquaria, in the title, instead of fish.

Heka? I just love it. Hammond is awesome! I really like the sounds of your 'monster tank', too. It's just a wee little bit bigger than mine. Like 105 gallons (US) bigger! I am utterly jealous!

Comment

I suck with fish. I had one when I was little which lived for a few years, but for some reason, now, I suck. My sister has two turtles which have lived over ten years. She has had them since she was a teenager and she is now 31. I guess over 15 years now.
                        Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
                          That particular picture was taken about an hour after the fish went in the tank. The water was all fresh and I hadn't put in antifungal yet. The water was a little cloudy but I was told that's normal for new tanks because of bacteria bloom, or something, so I didn't worry too much. There wasn't a flash on the camera. The water got clearer over the enxt few days but it's getting cloudyish again. I would take a new picture but not much as changed, and the water is a bright blue green (almost looks like I forgot to clean the tank) because of the medicine.

I would consider fish pets too but I get Chain's reasoning.
                          Cloudy usually means an ammonia build up, which is dangerous to the fish. I actually never had this problem and have never kept a heated tank, but I know that you can get commercial product to bring the ammonia down. I'm not sure what kind of filter you have but I know you've been doing some research so I assume it's the right size for your tank along with the number of fish?

One of the folks who've kept tropical fish can probably give you more advice about what to do. Mine is to check your filtration and go to the aquarium store or pet store and get the commercial stuff for ammonia reduction. I would also recommend you take a water sample for quality testing... over here most pet stores who sell aquarium stuff will do this for free, or you can buy a kit to do it at home.

Comment

The last time I tried to have fish, they kept dying and the tank water would not stay clear and clean. My mother and I tried everything. We finally gave up and gave the tank and fish to my cousin. The sucker fish she got from us wound up growing into a monster of a fish after she got it. I just don't have a knack for it.

Comment

I've heard good things about API Ammo Lock. Locks the ammonia and makes its not dangerous to fish, but will still be read as ammonia in tests.

Tank water needs to cycle, 6-8 weeks, with a few fish you don't care for (to introduce the ammonia), then for the bacteria to convert into nitrite, then to nitrate, which is safe for fish. Thats why people often have issues with things early on, and why Chain was killing things by changing 80% of the water.

And yeah Chain, its going to be epic. When I set it up I will do progress reports.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                              Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment