Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is 7 too young to be left home alone?

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
    Thal you ask at what age. I have no idea. You are right. Kids need to learn etc etc. It's age approriate etc etc. I'm not arguing that. I'm saying for me and the experiences I've had? I wouldn't let my 7 year old home alone. Mostly because of where I live. Remember me? From LA? Yeah. Not gonna happen.
    And I think that is a perfectly fair assessment--where someone lives and what they are comfortable with comes into play too in making these decisions. Also, one ought to take what is legal into consideration--We don't have home alone laws in Virginia...we have stuff like this.Although, some communities have their own guidelines or statutes/rules.

Unless of course you think you have a smart kid and I see it on the porch eating glue. Then I might mention it.
    Lol! I never ate glue, I liked to rub it into sticky goo as it dried. And I had an IQ of 168.

A don't even know so much that its being smart...so much as a matter of self control (I only bring it up because I really just wanted a reason to post the article).

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
    I see horror stories of the damage kids do when parents ARE home, like poo on the walls and swallowing marbles and eating paint and crazy stuff like that, and many are 5-6-7 years old.

There is a point where certain behaviors just aren't developmental anymore and should be a trigger for parents to wonder if something else is going on. A 5-7 year old that puts poo on the walls, and doesn't have a known learning disability or other impairment has a legitimate issue--or has parents that need to institute some consistent and frequently reinforced boundaries. Even my kid with ADHD stopped doing stuff like that around 2-3. And Chickadee, who never met a white wall that didn't need some color, stopped drawing on the walls around 4 (now we draw on paper and tape the paper to the wall--not as satisfying, but a resonable compromise). Plus, if someone has a kid regularly eating crazy stuff, then they need to see a doctor--pica isn't normal and generally has a psychosocial or biochemical trigger.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Thalassa
      And I had an IQ of 168.
      What happened to it?
      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
      Seen the desert and the birds
      You cut your hair short
      Like a shush to an insult
      The world had been yelling
      Since the day you were born
      Revolting with anger
      While it smiled like it was cute
      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
        What happened to it?
        I didn't ever have to use it all. School was easy and boring (though college was interesting and fun) and I've never had a job that was actually intellectually challenging. Being smart is only useful if you get taught how to use it and you get challenged enough that you still have to work hard. Otherwise, you pretty much skate through everything without ever having to try, and have a very rude awakening later on. I think, the last time I took one of those online IQ tests for fun (though who knows how accurate they are anyhow), it came out in the 140s. I'm glad my kids are pretty average. Chickadee is in gifted classes, but she's not a 99th percentile kind of kid--she got into the gifted classes mostly on teacher recommendation. She works for her smarts.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post

I didn't ever have to use it all. School was easy and boring (though college was interesting and fun) and I've never had a job that was actually intellectually challenging. Being smart is only useful if you get taught how to use it and you get challenged enough that you still have to work hard. Otherwise, you pretty much skate through everything without ever having to try, and have a very rude awakening later on. I think, the last time I took one of those online IQ tests for fun (though who knows how accurate they are anyhow), it came out in the 140s. I'm glad my kids are pretty average. Chickadee is in gifted classes, but she's not a 99th percentile kind of kid--she got into the gifted classes mostly on teacher recommendation. She works for her smarts.
          I is the same, but I only started at 140. Id like to think im still up there, but I dont use it in the same way. I definitely fail all the word ones these days!
          ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
          Seen the desert and the birds
          You cut your hair short
          Like a shush to an insult
          The world had been yelling
          Since the day you were born
          Revolting with anger
          While it smiled like it was cute
          That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
            Yeah, I hear ya. I never tested as -that- smart, but my experiences in school were pretty similar. I did have teachers who tried to challenge me and some who let me do my own thing, but at the end of the day, I still had to keep pace with the rest of the kids.

I had a whole rant about it typed out, but I don't want to derail the thread...

Anyhow, I do agree with Medusa. As much as I've argued that kids should be taught independence, I probably wouldn't leave my kids home alone in a place like LA. I guess it's all about context.

Comment

Working...
            X