Ever get spooked during a meditation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever get spooked during a meditation?

I just got a pretty bad spook. I had been wanting to try out a guided meditation video on youtube, and I found one where the voice was nice and not obnoxious. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThWh9QIcgdA this one for reference.
    I was asked to retreat into the back of my mind, to see it as a room. It was a lovely room but it was kind of…. intimidating almost. Stark white, you wouldn’t be able to tell the floor from the walls if not for these…. twisted, gnarled but beautiful tree silhouettes. Sunlight from a dark, starry sky leaked in. And like I said, nothing at all in the room but me and my altar. Kind of weird but I guess I took it with me,
    Anyway, this is a very large room, but it doesn’t feel empty. It feels like it has in it everything it needs. And I sit behind my altar, looking around.
    The meditation goes through a bunch of light/energy stuff, filling the room, breathing it, expanding it past the room. Neat stuff, all goes well.

The meditation then starts slowly guiding me into feeling a presence. I suddenly stop enjoying this. I could really feel it behind me, slightly to my left, just out of view. I felt it so strongly and I was dead scared the woman would tell me to look back. Worse. She tells me to feel it rest a hand on my shoulder. And I do. And I'm like, really feeling this dread so I look down and theres no hand. And I just shuddered and shut the video off. The whole thing just had this foreboding feeling, event he stuff that went well.

Anyway, have you ever had something creepy or wrong feeling during something like this?
    Last edited by Shahaku; 02 Apr 2015, 18:05.

Re: Ever get spooked during a meditation?

That reminds me of some of the older guided meditations to meet ones shadow self or contrary self. To meet and face those aspects of our darker self that frighten or scare us.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Definitely. In fact, one experience made me stop meditating for a good long time.

I was meditating and had progressed to the point where I started to "feel" the world outside of myself. (Basically I start meditation focusing on my body, mind, breathing, etc., then turn outward.) After a few minutes of nerves jangling, I became aware of the presence of two distinct entities. They seemed non-hostile, but something about them was VERY unsettling.

They were brothers, both of them with wings like hawks. They seemed to radiate a power that made me more and more uncomfortable. Both of them were crouched down, very close to me, were studying me. Meanwhile, the discomfort with their power grew.

When I couldn't take it anymore, I opened my eyes, exited the room, and stopped meditating for a long while.
      Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

No, I've never been spooked during meditation. But then I don't do guided meditations. Guided meditations... I don't like 'em. Many guided meditations are basically hypnosis (put you into a deeply relaxed state then 'suggest' experiences to you), except that there is no skilled facilitator who can control the situation. I also don't like the ones that have you opening yourself up to all sorts of experiences and entities without working through some basic hygiene and shield stuff first. That's a nice way to attract an opportunistic entity.

Comment

I've been able to complete guided meditations twice. I have fallen asleep all the rest of the times. Having said that, I like to listen to a new guided meditation that I find online all the way through first to know what I'm in for to avoid getting spooked.

Comment

Originally posted by miss_mc View Post
            I just got a pretty bad spook. I had been wanting to try out a guided meditation video on youtube, and I found one where the voice was nice and not obnoxious. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThWh9QIcgdA this one for reference.
            I was asked to retreat into the back of my mind, to see it as a room. It was a lovely room but it was kind of…. intimidating almost. Stark white, you wouldn’t be able to tell the floor from the walls if not for these…. twisted, gnarled but beautiful tree silhouettes. Sunlight from a dark, starry sky leaked in. And like I said, nothing at all in the room but me and my altar. Kind of weird but I guess I took it with me,
            Anyway, this is a very large room, but it doesn’t feel empty. It feels like it has in it everything it needs. And I sit behind my altar, looking around.
            The meditation goes through a bunch of light/energy stuff, filling the room, breathing it, expanding it past the room. Neat stuff, all goes well.

The meditation then starts slowly guiding me into feeling a presence. I suddenly stop enjoying this. I could really feel it behind me, slightly to my left, just out of view. I felt it so strongly and I was dead scared the woman would tell me to look back. Worse. She tells me to feel it rest a hand on my shoulder. And I do. And I'm like, really feeling this dread so I look down and theres no hand. And I just shuddered and shut the video off. The whole thing just had this foreboding feeling, event he stuff that went well.

Anyway, have you ever had something creepy or wrong feeling during something like this?
            Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
            That reminds me of some of the older guided meditations to meet ones shadow self or contrary self. To meet and face those aspects of our darker self that frighten or scare us.
            I was also thinking this might be a shadow encounter. It would certainly be something to look - quite cautiously - into. But I wouldn't go back to that particular video until you've reflected upon it; I probably wouldn't go back at all unless one of my guides thought it would useful as part of my shadow-process.
            OO

Book of Spirals is my author site.
            The Sentient Hillside is my blog.
            Spiral Tree is an ezine for pagans I co-founded.

Comment

There's one guided meditation I've done a few times, though I rarely complete it. I get very close to sleep before it's over ^^ ... I found a guide for a meditation in a book I'm reading, one I'm pretty sure will give me a scare. I have a feeling I need to do it, but I keep putting it off. It's meant as a controlled way of confronting your deepest fears - having suffered from some anxiety, I know there's still something there I need to confront. When my anxiety was at its worst, someone taught me to do self hypnosis, I still frequently use that when I need to relax...
              You remind me of the babe
              What babe?
              The babe with the power
              What power?
              The Power of voodoo
              Who do?
              You do!
              Do what?
              Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Actually yes, my intro post I just made "Returning with trepidation" talks about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Strugl View Post
                  Actually yes, my intro post I just made "Returning with trepidation" talks about it.
                  What book did you pick the method described there up from? It's been years since I looked cross-eyed at projections but I really don't like the methodology you described and I'm not sure if that's inexperience with the practice + paranoia on my part or actual crappy methodology.
                  life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by miss_mc View Post

I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but fyi, we save colored font for small specific points, and only when absolutely necessary. In general red is for admins, and green is for moderators. Much else can be hard to read, depending on the background any particular member has chosen. So, mostly, we ask that you don't use colored font. I've changed yours back to automatic so it can be read by the general forum. Thanks!
                    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I truly don't remember the book, and I got rid of all my stuff years ago so I can't even go digging for it. But I agree that it seems like a bad method. I didn't know better at the time though

Comment

I've gotten spooked several times but not exactly by that kind of thing (or is that the only way you can use 'to be SPOOKed'? Hmm, I didn't think so?)
                        Firstly I sometimes feel like my visualisations don't listen to me, lol. For example I very rarely am able to get myself to imagine a sphere around me and have it stay there without the visualisation of me with the sphere shifting to the front/diagonal front of me. I try to bring it back but it 'springs' back :') Maybe I've convinced myself of this but it's really weird nonetheless.

And freaky when I feel like there's a lot of tension in and around me and therefore have to convince myself of the fact that I am in the sphere, the tension can't get to me, I'm just looking at myself from the side hahaha.

Also I've had images of some beast/animal type of creature, a dragon and an angry wolf come at me during my meditations. I don't THINK I imagined it myself all too conciously..., my mind was either playing games with me or it were actually some beings? I don't know. I still have to ease myself in that possibility. The angry wolf I think felt angry with me first because maybe a part of myself was challenging me to be better and I had to stand up against that side of me that was ‘afraid’ to do so, and once because I was doing something that I knew did not resonate with me really and yeah.

(Which brings me to wonder if a wolf isn't my spirit animal/animal guide? I personally think it's simply an aspect of me that I gave that image, dunno.)

But the other two random appearences (happened several times) during my meditations were hella' freaky :')

Also, sorry to hear about such unsettling experiences. Have you worked out whether it was a shadowy aspect of yourself in the mean time?
                        Last edited by kazumi; 05 Jun 2015, 20:36.

Comment

Actually yes! The very first time I went into a deep trance, I wasn't expecting to completely lose awareness of my body. For a split second it felt like I didn't exist... if that makes sense. Of course that panic surge instantly broke the trance... oh well
                          My Divination Shop

Comment

When I've been in a deep meditation I have occasionally been convinced that someone was standing in the room with me, or that I heard someone whispering my name. I have my suspicions as to who it and and even though it's not a hostile presence, it's still creepy :-)

Comment

Working...
                            X