Opinions on 'shufflemancy'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on 'shufflemancy'?

Don't quite remember where I stumbled across it but its basically divination by asking a question, then hitting play on a playlist on shuffle. First song is your answer. Has anyone done this? What are your opinions on it? I think it looks kind of neat, and everyone's got a playlist of music, so it seems more accessible. And of course, easy to hide.

Re: Opinions on 'shufflemancy'?

I don't have a playlist of music.

This seems to me just a variation on all the other '-mancy' methods that rely on random pieces of data chosen at random. My concern with this particular method is that it's based on your playlist... which is a handpicked list that only includes songs that you like. I would think that would encourage some degree of bias in the results, depending on how eclectic or narrow your taste in music is.

Comment

I thought this was going to be people predicting the next song on a shuffle list. Seems kinda ridiculous to me but then again I use cards so who knows? I agree with Rae'ya that there seems to be a bias in it.
      Circe

Comment

As has been said, if somebody is into, I don't know, Glam Rock. And there list is full of songs like "Coming Home" "Hot Love" etc.

You could easily ask a question like "Oh great shufflemancer, who has been going through my pants drawer?" After a moment of anticipation, you receive "The Jean Genie - David Bowie"

You could take that so many ways, is the Jean Genie going through your drawer? Is David Bowie going through your drawer? Or maybe David Bowie is the Jean Genie and is also going through your drawer. All three seem highly unlikely if you ask me.
        White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
        sigpic
        In Days of yore,
        From Britain's shore
        Wolfe the dauntless hero came
        And planted firm Britannia's flag
        On Canada's fair domain.
        Here may it wave,
        Our boast, our pride
        And joined in love together,
        The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
        The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
          Is David Bowie going through your drawer? Or maybe David Bowie is the Jean Genie and is also going through your drawer.
          Can this happen? Please?!

Comment

Originally posted by Demifate View Post
            Can this happen? Please?!
            Consult the shufflemancer and see if he will bestow his blessings.
            sigpic
            In Days of yore,
            From Britain's shore
            On Canada's fair domain.
            Here may it wave,
            Our boast, our pride
            The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

This seems fun. But false.
              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I asked "what should I have for dinner" and the first song that came up was Tacos Dance. It is the only directly food related song in my playlist of over 200.

Personally, I believe it's a coincidence. But that's a damn good coincidence.
                Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Omg.

I asked the shuffle god: Will Wolverine and I ever get married?
                  It answered with a podcast of Clark Howard. The commercial comes on first. It said, and I quote:
                  WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF YOU DIED?

It knows Wolvie's MO on women.

I just dodged a death bullet.:=o:
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                    I asked "what should I have for dinner" and the first song that came up was Tacos Dance. It is the only directly food related song in my playlist of over 200.

Personally, I believe it's a coincidence. But that's a damn good coincidence.
                    No mistaking it Denarius, you've been visited by the Shufflemancer.
                    sigpic
                    In Days of yore,
                    From Britain's shore
                    On Canada's fair domain.
                    Here may it wave,
                    Our boast, our pride
                    The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post

No mistaking it Denarius, you've been visited by the Shufflemancer.
                      The Shufflemancer. Yes. I love it.
                      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                      Seen the desert and the birds
                      You cut your hair short
                      Like a shush to an insult
                      The world had been yelling
                      Since the day you were born
                      Revolting with anger
                      While it smiled like it was cute
                      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Lol okay, maybe it is a little silly. It does seem more like a just for fun thing. Though i have to wonder, if you managed to make a huge, varied enough playlist, not just their favorite songs, would that make it more legitimate?

Comment

Well in theory anything that acts in a random manner can be used for divination. You could make a virtual tarot deck of songs, a song that represents the meaning for each card. If you have enough variety then sure, it could be a more legitimate thing maybe.
                          Circe

Comment

I don't see that its any different than people that close their eyes, open the Bible, and point for advice.

Except that it has a better beat, can be danced to, and sounds loads more fun.
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                              I don't see that its any different than people that close their eyes, open the Bible, and point for advice.
                              Actually, funny enough, that was one of the main things that brought me out of Christianity. I opened the Bible looking for advice and found some verses which put me on the road to skepticism.

I personally don't really believe that sufflemancy is effective, and I feel like shuffling is not an effective way to properly communicate with the Gods, or get messages from them, if doing so is even possible to get said methods from it. I personally would like to think that those Gods we find ourselves building relations with would be able to communicate more directly, or through different methods. But to each their own I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                              X