Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How fast is the world population growing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How fast is the world population growing?

This site shows births,deaths and it seems in real time. Kinda interesting to watch the numbers change right before your eyes..

http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

And of course,what are your thought on population growth?
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: How fast is the world population growing?

Cool link! My thoughts are - it'll probably stop growing soon, whether from Ebola or stupidity or both.
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Overpopulation in humans is mostly a myth because we have limiting factors beyond just food and resources. Population growth is occurring mostly in third world countries. While in all post industrial countries population is declining. Sociologists explain this using a trend called the demographic transition theory.

Essentially in undeveloped societies population rises as the need for manual labor is high (you need children to work your fields), infant mortality is high, and lifespan is generally lower (when people did faster you need babies to replace them more often). As society industrialized technology reduces the need for large amounts of manual labor, quality of life increases, and in general people love healthier lives reducing the need for more offspring to be produced. This would be the transitional period between undeveloped and industrial.

However, with that you may sill have rising or stabilizing population. The reason highly industrial and post industrial societies had declining populations is because thy have a different set of limiting factors. The primary being that children become more expensive to raise as society industrializes. The costs for food, medical care, goods and services tend to rise and there's less economic return on having children ( a single child can support an elderly parent in old age generally now but would've been unable to in the past). In addition as society advances effective birth control become more widely available reducing unwanted pregnancy and people tend to marry much later. It is theorized that post industrial societies populations will stabilize after a certain amount of time. In short, as long as third world countries continue to advance technologically their populations will be under control*. Some sociologists theorize that global population will level out aroud 13billion.

A common argument is we don't have enough food for everyone I we continue to have population growth. This is completely wrong as the United States alone produces enough food to few the entire world and it can be expected that as technology further increases food yeilds will also increase. The real issue would be allocating resources like fuel and consumer goods, but ultimately it's unlikely for there to be many people lacking basic things to keep them alive.

*exceptions to this have been observed in societies where there is a strong social obligation to have children. For example Saudi Arabia continues to rise in population far more rapidly than one would anticipate.
      Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
        Cool link! My thoughts are - it'll probably stop growing soon, whether from Ebola or stupidity or both.
        I always vote for mother nature here... BOOM TSUNAMI!
        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
        Seen the desert and the birds
        You cut your hair short
        Like a shush to an insult
        The world had been yelling
        Since the day you were born
        Revolting with anger
        While it smiled like it was cute
        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Very interesting, Corvus!

In much of it, I tend to agree.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
            And of course,what are your thought on population growth?
            I have no problem with it at all.
            Human beings will keep innovating to keep producing enough to support themselves, and, with how things have been going, we may even do so while reducing our carbon footprint as a species. Additionally, we may have to learn how to build higher, and bigger, buildings to hold all those people in our cities though.

The only thing I don't quite like is Japan. Japan and its shrinking population are a serious problem. :='(:

Comment

Every living creature has a limited number of contacts it can support. With a larger number of contacts, the connection between themselves sharpens. So I think it will be over soon. Plus, because not everyone is capable of supporting themselves.
              "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Population growth is definitely a problem, but most measures that directly tackle it cause social problems and hugely infringe on peoples' freedoms. I'd say that promoting education and equality, especially amongst women, tends to have the strongest effect. When women are educated and have a more equal status in society, birth rates drop. When people are better educated in general and have more economic opportunities, birthrates drop.

Germany and Japan probably have the most sharply dropping populations in the world. I know that this poses some challenges, but honestly, I think it's for the better. At some point the situation will have to get remedied, because too much of a drop isn't a good thing either, but as it stands, there are too many people in Germany (and far too many in Japan). We can say that we can build taller buildings in cities to fit more people, but this is such an unpleasant way to live. I think about where I"m moving to and compare it to places like Brandenburg and realize that quality of life is a LOT better when population density isn't so high (North Rhine Westfalia is super dense, Brandenburg is not at all dense). I also think about Berlin and how, even though it's a big city, it's full of space, has lots of room to live and breathe, and has a ton of parks and green space. I'd hate to see that fill up. I'd rather see more places in Germany be like Berlin (urban) and Brandenburg (rural). Although there are challenges that come with a dropping population, it has also been helpful in terms of quality of life, resource distribution, and jobs (lower unemployment, even in the face of automation). I think our situation will eventually level off if more employers embrace things like job sharing, part-time work, flexible time, remote work, more time off for dads, and other things like that. As it stands, the birth rate was so low because our culture still expected women to stay home and raise kids and workplaces made being a working parent very challenging. As a result, women just put off having children.
                Last edited by DanieMarie; 14 Sep 2014, 10:51.

Comment

The human population? Its growing much too fast, to the point that it is, like mankind ourselves, a massive threat.
                  "As long as humans continue to be the ruthless destroyer of other beings, we will never know health or peace. For as long as people massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, those who sow the seed of murder and pain will never reap joy or love." - Pythagoras

"I too shall lie in the dust when I am dead, but now let me win noble renown." - Homer, The Iliad

Comment

In short, as long as third world countries continue to advance technologically their populations will be under control*.
                    I'd say that bolded part is a fairly huge assumption, at least, that it will take place at a rate fast enough to sufficiently curb population growth. A huge part of our economic system is based on the socioeconomic inequalities between first and third world countries - make cheap stuff in the third world, pay them a pittance, bring it to the first world and sell it to the relatively rich population for exponentially raised prices.

We basically live in a modern serfdom, the only difference is that instead of dividing into manors, towns and villages all more or less in sight of each other, we're divided into the plutocratic oligarchs (the global financial elite and their political pawns who have little contact with those below them), the upper - lower middle class, (those who are lucky enough to work in a location which affords a lifestyle comfortable enough that they don't get upset) and the serfs, those who live almost exclusively in the third world and work for a pittance because they have no choice and no voice. I know it's a bit of an oversimplification, but that's the basic status of our modern global society - we (that is, humanity as a whole) haven't moved on from serfdom, we've just divided the classes up in such a way that contact between them is minimal and so people don't realize the nature of the system.

What I'm getting at is that the people in control of (and thus profiting from) this system aren't in any rush for it to change. There are strong financial (and thus political) forces at work maintaining the status quo, just as there are with other problems like the environment (of course, with the two are connected). Which leads into what you said about food - yes, there is enough that it could be shared around with plenty to spare, but the people with the power to make that happen are the ones who don't want it to happen or ignore that a problem even exists.

Comment

Carrying capacity.

We aren't at it yet, and we don't know what it is.
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

Hear that sound of cracking...that creaking...Nothing to concern yourself about(The powers that be will be in their secret bunker)Carry on..

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                          Carrying capacity.

We aren't at it yet, and we don't know what it is.

And it keeps changing.

We've been threatened with the "inevitable Malthusian Apocalypse" for more than 100 years now, and I'm still waiting... for that, and for Jesus to rise again.
                          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I talked to Jesus,he says let him alone,he had a hard century..and just wants to sleep..

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                            X