Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Religious self-identification...

Originally posted by Ophidia View Post
    I am apathetic about the existence or non-existence of deity.

I'm apparently not an orthodox Apatheist because while I don't care about anyone else's religion, I do care about how religious folk treat other people in regards to their relgion. But the focus isn't so much on what they believe as it is on how they express their beliefs. I'm an Ethical Apatheist.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/apatheism.htm
    I see. Well it makes a lot of sense. No problemo. And thanks for the link.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
      Question, how are you distinguishing atheist from non-theist?
      Someone that is not a theist, but also not an atheist and doesn't self-identify as pantheist/panenthiest or deist.

I consider non-theism and apatheism to be in the same boat.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa
        Just for fun (so don't nitpick :P)--How do you primairly identify in terms of belief in deity?
        99% of the time a deity is not on my mind. So functionally I guess I'm an atheist, but if anyone asks I might say agnostic because I have some pantheistic tendencies that don't necessarily fall into a theist or atheist category. :-) But on the off-chance I find myself in a situation where a Christian is offering me free tickets to a major league baseball game then, of course I'll say I'm a Pentecostal. :-) But, for the most part I'm agnostic.

Comment

Hard polytheist with Animism / anamatism built upon it.
          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Hard-polytheist panentheist animist who recognizes that she could be deluded thus accepting that agnosticism is probably also applicable.

Or in Thal's terms... intellectually agnostic but emotionally and experientially hard-polytheist panentheist animist.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokerider View Post
              But on the off-chance I find myself in a situation where a Christian is offering me free tickets to a major league baseball game then, of course I'll say I'm a Pentecostal. :-) But, for the most part I'm agnostic.
              When I was a teen, I would convert to Greek Orthodox Catholic every Sunday because a local church barbecued a whole goat after Mass.
              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Henotheistic, with a dash of agnosticism and hard polytheism.

Or to better put it: I worship/revere one deity but acknowledge many exist (and are distinct from each other) but also tend to view deities as forces of what they represent at times (or explanations of natural phenomenon, etc). Yup, it's complicated.
                Wild Witchy Dusk | TwitterMy Art Blog | My Deviantart

Comment

atheist. When you talk about your 'gods' I just think it's Donald or Mickey Mouse.
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I don't even know anymore ~.~
                    Work hard Play hard.
                    What is history?

Comment

Originally posted by Ophidia View Post

When I was a teen, I would convert to Greek Orthodox Catholic every Sunday because a local church barbecued a whole goat after Mass.
                      They should start that here /goatproblem
                      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                      Seen the desert and the birds
                      You cut your hair short
                      Like a shush to an insult
                      The world had been yelling
                      Since the day you were born
                      Revolting with anger
                      While it smiled like it was cute
                      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I don't bloody know what I am.

I identify with what Mrs Penry says about the solitary, pagan, witch.

I identify with Thal and Rae'ya with the intellectually agnostic, and like the rest they both say, but haven't gotten there myself yet.

How come 'hopeful' isn't on the list?
                        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                        Seen the desert and the birds
                        You cut your hair short
                        Like a shush to an insult
                        The world had been yelling
                        Since the day you were born
                        Revolting with anger
                        While it smiled like it was cute
                        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

As an FYI (incase folks are wondering) I didn't put in animism because its a world view rather than a position on theism... as is hylozoism, physicalism, dualism, materialism, etc... Just like I didn't put in witchcraft, shamanism, etc...because those are practices, rather than theistic statements.

Also, henotheism, kathenothesim, and monolarty are intellectually polytheistic but functionally monotheistic.
                          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                            As an FYI (incase folks are wondering) I didn't put in animism because its a world view rather than a position on theism... as is hylozoism, physicalism, dualism, materialism, etc... Just like I didn't put in witchcraft, shamanism, etc...because those are practices, rather than theistic statements.

Also, henotheism, kathenothesim, and monolarty are intellectually polytheistic but functionally monotheistic.
                            That goes into another debate. I consider Shamanism, Animism, Anamatism to be world views and ways of living but a lot of people have taken the perspective that they are also spiritual / religious practices with a supporting theology. Especially as they are being applied in many 101 books and have crossed into Neo-Wicca and Neo-Paganism and people approaching them as if they are religious / spiritual.
                            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Regarding deity, since you asked: I am an idealist, seeing all as spirit. What makes me panentheistic rather than pantheistic is that I see spirit as more than what I perceive. I am as comfortable with categories like angels and gods as I am with categories like monera or crustacean. Many expressions of the one thing that is the source of all that is, and more.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Theologically, I'm a hard polytheist with Hermetic leanings. I think that the gods are all mostly individuals, but some of them might be conflations, and they all extend out of some bigger, flowing divinity. But the source of them might not be a god in and of itself or, if it is, might not be conscious or intelligent deity. Thus, my focus is entirely on the many gods, and spirits of the land and of the dead.

My actual practices are harder to identify. I'm eclectic in the sense that my religion combines several elements: Roman, Hellenistic, and Celtic; but I'd describe myself as kind of a reconstructionist too, in that I apply academic rigour to practising in a way that would have been recognisable to ancient polytheists. But at the same time, I haven't entirely given up my modernist, magic-practising, Frazerian fertility cult. It still plays a role in my practices, and in what gods I honour most often. I guess I might, with some apprehension, describe myself as an Eclectic (Soft) Reconstructionist in practice? And while that wasn't exactly the scope of the thread question, I can't help but delve into my practices and religion a little bit. What I believe regarding the gods is influenced by what I do regarding the gods, and vice versa.

Comment

Working...
                                X