Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you define Paganism? (a poll, NOT a debate :P)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you define Paganism? (a poll, NOT a debate :P)

We all know that one of the frequent topics for discussion among Pagans* is "What is Paganism" because (as the joke goes) if you ask 10, you'll get 20 answers... I've come across many many many opinions on this over the years (most of which can be boiled down to several broad categories), and figured (since I rediscovered the fun of the poll featre) I'd go for an unscientific survey of our members.

(feel free to discuss, if you want)

*Including around here...where its been discussed in a variety of ways, from time to time
    This is something I thought might be worth posting, if only to help us understand exactly where everyone is coming from when they post about various paths. I don't want to hi-jack any existing thread, and though it mifght be better to start a new one. So.... how do you define words like neo-paganism, reconstructionism etc.?

http://www.paganforum.com/showthread.php?21-Pagan-101 (I'm totally gonna update this page one of these days...)
    I'm new to this forum so hello everyone. I'm also new to exploring paganism and am trying to see if my current belief system could be described as pagan. I have had no real interest in many of the 'teachings' of the major religions and find it difficult not to criticise them even though I accept that it is a right of everyone

http://www.paganforum.com/showthread.php?4346-Is-Modern-Paganism-reflective-of-past-Paganism-Your-opinions/
    Greetings! I thought it would be interesting to start a thread about defining Paganism - a topic which seems rather controversial if you ask me! I personally believe that a Pagan is someone who calls him or herself a Pagan. The rest is personal interpretation. I believe that such individuality is one of our strengths as

This is something I thought might be worth posting, if only to help us understand exactly where everyone is coming from when they post about various paths. I don't want to hi-jack any existing thread, and though it mifght be better to start a new one. So.... how do you define words like neo-paganism, reconstructionism etc.?

Can someone do me a brilliant favor... sum up paganism in a few sentances. Thanks Darach
    non-Abrahamic
    0%
    polytheistic
    0%
    earth-centered/nature-based
    0%
    non-Abrahamic AND polytheistic
    0%
    non-Abrahamic AND earth-centered/nature-based
    0%
    polytheistic AND/OR earth-centered/nature-based
    0%
    non-Abrahamic AND polytheistic AND earth-centered/nature-based
    0%
    non-Abrahamic OR polytheistic OR earth-centered/nature-based
    0%
    non-Abrahamic AND (either) polytheistic OR earth-centered/nature-based
    0%
    Defining things is meaningless
    0%
    I use other critera
    0%
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: How do you define Paganism? (a poll, NOT a debate :P)

Paganism: Huge number of disparate beliefs with sometimes non-existent common ground that like using the same name.

Because, you really should've predicted a variation on my flippant answer.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
      Paganism: Huge number of disparate beliefs with sometimes non-existent common ground that like using the same name.

Because, you really should've predicted a variation on my flippant answer.

Doest that count as "other criteria" or "definitions are meaningless"?
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Other

I like definitions perfectly fine. I've yet too see one that I consider useful for Paganism.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
          Other

I like definitions perfectly fine. I've yet too see one that I consider useful for Paganism.
          I think the problem is that people have monothetic minds...
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
            I think the problem is that people have monothetic minds...
            Well that or I just like being flippant and I'm not looking hard. Possibly both...

Comment

I know it when I see it.

I'm one of those boring people who define Paganism by what it is not:

Not Christian, Catholic, Jewish, Zoroastrian, or Muslim. I'm not sure if Zoroastrianism qualifies as Abrahamic, but it's not Pagan.
              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

When I think of pagans I think of people who have a spiritual reverence for nature. This 'practice' may or may not involve spell casting. :-) That's a hard definition, anyway and I don't really like hard and fast definitions. Paganism could also include a variety of magickal practices not necessarily connected with nature. Now is a ceremonial magician a pagan? Defining paganism is fun. :-)

Comment

Paganism for me is a religious or spiritual belief which adheres to the belief in many deities, and also tend to view nature as being connected to the divine in some way, and generally haven a deep respect, if not reverence of nature. Ultimately I selected "polytheistic AND/OR earth-centered/nature-based", as I see polytheism as a crucial element to paganism.

Comment

I selected polytheistic AND/OR earth-centered/nature based. Paganism certainly can be non-Abrahamic but I feel when one uses it as the sole definition of Pagan, it ends up lumping practitioners of other non-Abrahamic religions into a label they may not want to be associated with in the first place. This isn't to say a practitioner of those other non-Abrahamic religions can call themselves Pagan, though. They can! It's just I believe it should be respected when other practitioners don't want to be associated with the term Pagan.

So, to me, it's more of a religion or spiritual belief that can be or mostly is polytheistic and/or earth-centered/nature based. It can be non-Abrahamic but isn't always, so I don't include it into my definition much.
                    Wild Witchy Dusk | TwitterMy Art Blog | My Deviantart

Comment

I'm one of the few people who thinks you can be pagan within an Abrahamic context. Putting aside the historical definition of pagan (because let's face it, the historical definition is now largely irrelevant) I think paganism is an umbrella term covering a number of different paths that are generally non-monotheistic (polytheistic, pantheist et al) and generally non-transcendant.

Comment

I got stuck. I know Abrahamic pagans, monotheistic pagans, and pagans who are not nature focused.

Maybe you're just pagan if you chose the term pagan?
                        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                        Seen the desert and the birds
                        You cut your hair short
                        Like a shush to an insult
                        The world had been yelling
                        Since the day you were born
                        Revolting with anger
                        While it smiled like it was cute
                        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Any religion derived from the pre-Abrahamic traditions of Europe, the near east, and Egypt either in reconstructionist form or new religious movements such as Wicca. These entail the literal belief in at least one Deity, a certain respect for the natural world that takes on a spiritual dimension, and literal belief in many spirits. Those are my criteria.

Other spiritual traditions have similar elements, but have a very different "feel" to them if you understand what I mean. Perhaps the only exceptions are Dharmic religions which are outgrowths of the ancient Vedic tradition.

Comment

From an anthropological view, "paganism" is nearly synonymous to "folk religion" and stands as a category opposite "world religion."
                            Therefore, there are many "paganisms" or "pagan religions" whose only common ground is simply that they aren't "world religions," i.e. religions with a number of adherents which make up a significant percentage of the world population.

Personally, I prefer that definition. I'm a pagan -- there's no question there -- but I am not a polytheist and, while nature-based, it could be argued that my religion is "Abrahamic" (though we don't see it that way). I share very little in common practice-wise with most pagans I know (or most I've met on the internet), and as a practitioner of a revivalist (reconstructionist) ethnic paganism, I don't even use the same vocabulary as most pagans I know 90% of the time. As such, I find many of the colloquial definitions for "pagan" don't fit me. So even though I identify myself as pagan, I feel that paganism is a loose identification at best. Like many revivalists, reconstructionists, and ethnic pagans I've met, I tend to identify myself by my specific religion first and as a pagan second, depending on with whom I am speaking.

Edit:
                            I might add that anthropologists generally aren't all that concerned with how people classify themselves. To a person who says they aren't pagan but fits the anthropological definition, an anthropologist will just record their protest all the while recording them according to the definition that fits.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Ophidia View Post
                            I'm not sure if Zoroastrianism qualifies as Abrahamic, but it's not Pagan.
                            Out of curiosity, why do you not consider Zoroastrianism as a pagan religion?
                            Last edited by Orecha; 07 Sep 2014, 02:21.
                            ʼŌraḥ Qaḏəmōnī, a revival of Ancient Israelite religion -- PathOfAncients.org

Comment

I tentatively go with "nature based" as per the poll, but my criteria is a bit broader than that. I tend to put "polytheism" and "paganism" into separately-defined but typically-overlapping bubbles. The latter being characterized by a generally spiritual or religious focus on one's habitat or bioregion--nature is only one part of that, and it's not all there is to it. With my definition, I'm taking into account that there are pagans that aren't polytheistic, polytheists that aren't pagan, and pagans that are Abrahamic, just as much as there are polytheistic pagans.

PS)
                              "Folk religion" is a good descriptor, as well. Frankly, I'd rather see that replace "paganism" in academic and common parlance. "Pagan" is such a loaded yet diverse term, it's almost useless in practical discussion.
                              Last edited by Louisvillian; 07 Sep 2014, 22:11.

Comment

Working...
                              X