This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Animism

(I was going to post this in the Shamanism board, mostly because I felt it would pertain more to those who identify as a shamanist, but I decided to play it.. safer and stick this in the religion and spirituality board discussion board)

I'm... challenged in many ways and I've come to understand that I've got far more animism in my religion then I previously allowed myself to acknowledge? (I was kind of stuck on 'Must be Hard Polytheist, rawr' and yeah, it's not as religiously fulfilling as I was desperately wanting it to be.) So, what I'm stuck on now, is how exactly to tackle these believes and make something more meaningful out of them.

What I'm really asking is, for those with animistic beliefs or practices, how did you first start exploring these beliefs? How did you develop practices around it? Where did you go for information? Did you center your beliefs around a particular historical culture, or did you form it from scratch? What would you advise me to begin doing, and why?

(I feel like that newb who just has to ask for advice, but I'm pretty much at a loss here, as I've never seen many discussions on animistic topics, or resources surrounding that particular subject matter. >.< Could be my googlefu is broken though...)
    Kemetic Blog - http://www.inspiringrainbow.wordpress.com

Bring your grains of Salt.

Re: Animism

For discussion I find a lot of people say animist animism but are actually anamatism in their belief structure.

Under anamatism you see an underlying universal energy or "force" that is contained in all things. Sort of like the notion of the "Force" in the Star Wars movies. Its often an impartial force and more or less present but not individualistic.

With animism you see all things have a spirit / soul that is unique on both an individual level but also on a species level. Yet it also crosses into the notion of life being found in all things not just plant or animal. So you have the notion of say the Stone People for instance or the various standing ones or green ones.

For me I always had the sense that all things are both alive and contained an individual energy but also that there is an underlying universal energy that is found in all things. So the idea of divinity is found within that universal energy but it is different than how it manifests in humanity for instance. As such it very much was a cornerstone piece to the shamanic / hedgewhitch influences and practices I had growing up.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
      With animism you see all things have a spirit / soul that is unique on both an individual level but also on a species level. Yet it also crosses into the notion of life being found in all things not just plant or animal. So you have the notion of say the Stone People for instance or the various standing ones or green ones.
      This is what I'm talking about, essentially. I'm finding that I have a heavy belief coming to the surface about all things having a soul/having life within them. For inanimate objects, I don't really perceive them as having a soul, but rather a type of specific life energy in them that ties them to the universe/divine. (Cue Pantheistic tones, now XD)

For me I always had the sense that all things are both alive and contained an individual energy but also that there is an underlying universal energy that is found in all things. So the idea of divinity is found within that universal energy but it is different than how it manifests in humanity for instance. As such it very much was a cornerstone piece to the shamanic / hedgewhitch influences and practices I had growing up.
      This is interesting. I'm not sure I follow 100% though, can you expand on this a bit more?

Comment

Originally posted by InspiringRaine View Post
        (I was going to post this in the Shamanism board, mostly because I felt it would pertain more to those who identify as a shamanist, but I decided to play it.. safer and stick this in the religion and spirituality board discussion board)
        Awww... we need more topics in the Shamanism board!

What I'm really asking is, for those with animistic beliefs or practices, how did you first start exploring these beliefs? How did you develop practices around it? Where did you go for information? Did you center your beliefs around a particular historical culture, or did you form it from scratch? What would you advise me to begin doing, and why?
        For me I didn't really develop anything... I just AM an animist. I believe that most things have a spirit within in them and that's how I experience the world around me. My animism is completely separate to the cultural context of my Northern Tradition or shamanic practices... but all shamanic cultures are animistic by nature, and the Lore suggests that our ancestors in Northern Europe also held animist beliefs. Animism is all around us, regardless of religion or faith or teaching. The land is filled with spirits. The water, the trees, the plants, the rocks, the ocean, the mountains... people have attributed spirits to these things for thousands of years. But modern animists also tend to experience spirits in cities, in cars, in computers, in iphones, in inanimate objects which are regularly imbued with our focus and energy and which are connected to us on an energetic and emotional level.

(I feel like that newb who just has to ask for advice, but I'm pretty much at a loss here, as I've never seen many discussions on animistic topics, or resources surrounding that particular subject matter. >.< Could be my googlefu is broken though...)
        This is because a lot of people don't actually name their animistic or animatistic beliefs... they have a general idea that the land, rocks, water, the ocean etc have spirits or a spirit, but don't necessarily name it or identify it as such. Most people who discuss animism are shamanists, neo-shamanists, totemists, or people who have come from those communities but shun the term because they don't travel in the Otherworlds, don't serve a community as a classic shaman or dislike the appropriative nature of the terms. There are animist communities and outspoken personages online if you care to look for them. A good place to start is either Bioregional Animism or Lupa @ The Green Wolf... who started at LJ, moved to Therioshamanism and then recently moved everything back to The Green Wolf.

Comment

.. This is interesting. I'm not sure I follow 100% though, can you expand on this a bit more?
          I hold a perspective that their is an underlying energy that is universal and responsible for the creation of life. Yet the manifestation of that life creation and layering allows for the creation of something as little as the microbe to a higher god form. It equally allows for or results in potentially significant differences in abilities / capabilities within the lifeforms created.

So I can see there are lifeforms that are as high above humanity in intelligence, capability, etc as humanity is over lifeforms considered lower to us. It also allows for the perspective that just because it is not readily visible or identifiable does not mean it can not or does not exist in the same physical plain we do. Additionally it does not mean that something can not exist in the same physical space yet exist at a differing vibration which could potentially make it invisible or nearly invisible to a entity outside that evolution. At that point not even considering multi-dimensional or time based dimensional affects / effects which exist about us but are limited to us as far as current interaction goes.

So for me my gods / goddess are composed or created from the same universal energy and exist upon the same physical plain. Yet though they exist upon the same physical plain / dimension they exist outside of the vibration rate that I experience life through but have the capability to interact and / or appear within the parameters of my vibration rate. Equally other spirits, entities, demons, daemons, fae, etc exist and under certain conditions can interact with me whether it be via communications, mental or physical presence and connection, etc. Very much what used to be called macro and micro universe I think it was.

Where it gets sort of complex, well to me in pondering it, is that if I assume that humanity evolved from a lower form that got more complex then humanity has the potential to evolve into a godlike form or gain control over the universal energy that matches what we ascribe to divinity. Which would suggest that current godforms are also capable of evolving into something higher than their own place in the system. Potentially unlimited evolution and growth potential and movement from one level to another.
          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I agree. Animism is not a practice but a belief that informs whatever practice you have, sort of an article of faith, a truth that feels self-evident. I am most definitely an animist, and can't remember ever not being one, though my practices have evolved and changed over the years. I do not consider myself a shaman, though.

"What would you advise me to begin doing, and why?"
            Follow your instincts, listen to what you already know, don't over-think things and follow your heart. While it is wise to reflect upon the experiences and perceptions of others, each person is a unique expression of human-ness and walks a unique path accordingly.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                Awww... we need more topics in the Shamanism board!
                Awww, I sorry! :P next time I'll post in the Shamanism board.

For me I didn't really develop anything... I just AM an animist. I believe that most things have a spirit within in them and that's how I experience the world around me. My animism is completely separate to the cultural context of my Northern Tradition or shamanic practices... but all shamanic cultures are animistic by nature, and the Lore suggests that our ancestors in Northern Europe also held animist beliefs. Animism is all around us, regardless of religion or faith or teaching. The land is filled with spirits. The water, the trees, the plants, the rocks, the ocean, the mountains... people have attributed spirits to these things for thousands of years. But modern animists also tend to experience spirits in cities, in cars, in computers, in iphones, in inanimate objects which are regularly imbued with our focus and energy and which are connected to us on an energetic and emotional level.
                See, I think I would have more difficulty seeing modern spirits in my inanimate objects like computers, phones, cars, etc. Probably because I have a fear of robots o.O, but I don't see inanimate objects as *alive* but as containing a spiritual force, or a collection of energy?

It's also comforting to hear you *didn't* develop anything in particular, but rather you just are the way you are. If that made any sense at all o.o. I'm mostly... grasping in the dark, flailing in the mysterious ways of the Kermit. (insert kermit gif, NOW!) I suppose it's because I have this idea of I *should* be doing things for it?

This is because a lot of people don't actually name their animistic or animatistic beliefs... they have a general idea that the land, rocks, water, the ocean etc have spirits or a spirit, but don't necessarily name it or identify it as such. Most people who discuss animism are shamanists, neo-shamanists, totemists, or people who have come from those communities but shun the term because they don't travel in the Otherworlds, don't serve a community as a classic shaman or dislike the appropriative nature of the terms. There are animist communities and outspoken personages online if you care to look for them. A good place to start is either Bioregional Animism or Lupa @ The Green Wolf... who started at LJ, moved to Therioshamanism and then recently moved everything back to The Green Wolf.
                All the resources! I've heard of Lupa before, so I suppose I should make use of your wonderful work of labor. Though, Bioregional Animisim is a new one! After checking it out, it seemed *really* interesting and I'm going to spend hours now loomed over the computer learning. Much appreciated!

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                Where it gets sort of complex, well to me in pondering it, is that if I assume that humanity evolved from a lower form that got more complex then humanity has the potential to evolve into a godlike form or gain control over the universal energy that matches what we ascribe to divinity. Which would suggest that current godforms are also capable of evolving into something higher than their own place in the system. Potentially unlimited evolution and growth potential and movement from one level to another.
                Firstly, thank you for explaining further! Secondly.. This is an interesting belief, one I've never encountered before. Much food for the brain, this is.

Originally posted by nbdy View Post
                I agree. Animism is not a practice but a belief that informs whatever practice you have, sort of an article of faith, a truth that feels self-evident. I am most definitely an animist, and can't remember ever not being one, though my practices have evolved and changed over the years. I do not consider myself a shaman, though.
                Ahh, see, I suppose this ties back into the original idea I had that I should be doing particular things to be animistic.

Comment

See, I think I would have more difficulty seeing modern spirits in my inanimate objects like computers, phones, cars, etc. Probably because I have a fear of robots o.O, but I don't see inanimate objects as *alive* but as containing a spiritual force, or a collection of energy?

It's also comforting to hear you *didn't* develop anything in particular, but rather you just are the way you are. If that made any sense at all o.o. I'm mostly... grasping in the dark, flailing in the mysterious ways of the Kermit. (insert kermit gif, NOW!) I suppose it's because I have this idea of I *should* be doing things for it?
                  I consider myself a hylozoist. Hylozoism is the idea that everything is in some sense "alive" (and by "alive", I don't mean biological life, but rather possessing (or being composed of) a "vital force".
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X