This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Priorities.

So I've been thinking a bit about my priorities, what's important to me, what's important around me etc, and how to have a balance. I guess because I'm a bit outta whack... Anyway...

You know I'm on anti-depressants (which have been working) for about 2 months now, which I feel has contributed some help to my prioritising.

My thoughts are a bit muddled atm..

My main priorities are work (school), health (gym and food), and home (keeping the damn thing tidy). If any of these are out of whack, things just stop working for me.
    At the moment I'm faily organised on work (spend 11 days in the holidays getting organised), but lately I'm falling a bit behind because I'm late every day.
    Health has definitely improved. I gym 3-4 days a week and have improved my eating. I'm fairly obsessed over this, but I'm pretty happy.
    Home is ok. I did a huge clean up last week. My dishes and washing fall behind a bit, but I can work with this. It's when my house looks like a bomb hit it that I can't function.
    I guess the other priority is spirituality, but that's pretty much non existant atm, which upsets me, but doesn't unduly affect me.

I don't know how to keep up the balance. The only way I can keep work at the level it needs to be is to be in at work by 8, leave at 5 and hopefully do a few hours on the weekend. Which I'm not doing at the moment.

In order to feel good about my health I need to gym 4 days and do one cardio and eat right.

As long as I clean up after myself at home that's not too bad.

My biggest issue at the moment is that I just cannot get out of bed in the mornings. You know I said I want to be at work at 8? I got up today at 8.30... I don't know what it is. I can't work out if it's lazy or not, or if it's physical. I had a blood test, waiting on the results atm... But if it's not physical, I don't know how to get over it. And it's affecting all areas. I'm at work late, I rush breakfast and don't do morning yoga, and I can't organise things at home if I need to. I'm losing up to 2 hours a day from this. And in the evenings I just have no energy.

So yeah. I'm not sure what's up. I just thought I'd try and write it all out, get it out there, and see what people thought.

Cheers dudes.
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Re: Priorities.

I'm sorry that you don't have as much time as you would like for some of the things dear to your heart. I'm not sure if you were looking for advice or not (if not, feel free to ignore this tid bit), but have you tried switching things up a bit? Maybe you could slice a half hour off of your workout routine one week to engage in spiritual practices. Perhaps it would give you more energy to get up on time, unless it's a medical thing that is keeping you in bed. Take care, Heka!

Comment

At least you are setting priorities and understand the processes and events that trigger you - sometimes identifying the triggers is the hardest part.

Is it about motivation? Because I see a lot about your work and health - but what are you doing for enjoyment and for happiness?

Comment

Originally posted by Torey View Post
        At least you are setting priorities and understand the processes and events that trigger you - sometimes identifying the triggers is the hardest part.

Is it about motivation? Because I see a lot about your work and health - but what are you doing for enjoyment and for happiness?
        Haha as a workmate said to me today "I understand. Its cold, and you're getting up for work. Thats hardly a reason to WANT to get up."

I dont know about enjoyment and happiness. My counsellor asked me "what makes you feel joy" and I couldn't answer. /awkward

I like reading sometimes, but haven't had a book to get lost in for a while. I like crossstitching, and that leads me to the spiritual a bit, but I havent done it since easter and have no urge to pick it up. I don't know. I enjoy work when its working and I enjoy going to the gym. But I just get so over it so easily.

RIP

You cut your hair short
        Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
          Haha as a workmate said to me today "I understand. Its cold, and you're getting up for work. Thats hardly a reason to WANT to get up."

I dont know about enjoyment and happiness. My counsellor asked me "what makes you feel joy" and I couldn't answer. /awkward

I like reading sometimes, but haven't had a book to get lost in for a while. I like crossstitching, and that leads me to the spiritual a bit, but I havent done it since easter and have no urge to pick it up. I don't know. I enjoy work when its working and I enjoy going to the gym. But I just get so over it so easily.
          That actually makes sense. Depression has a way of taking the pleasure out of things you once enjoyed. I can't even think of things to do on my days off work anymore because I have no sense of pleasure in doing things.

If you at least enjoy the gym, that's a good thing. Maybe it's time for an Amazon.com run to find yourself a few new books.

Comment

Originally posted by Torey View Post

That actually makes sense. Depression has a way of taking the pleasure out of things you once enjoyed. I can't even think of things to do on my days off work anymore because I have no sense of pleasure in doing things.

If you at least enjoy the gym, that's a good thing. Maybe it's time for an Amazon.com run to find yourself a few new books.
            I just spend the whole day in bed on my days off. Easily till like 2pm or 6pm. Easy.

I know what I don't like to do. So I'm trying to get rid of them.

Unfortunately I just end up on my arse a lot, or my back, here on PF. That is what I enjoy

RIP

You cut your hair short
            Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

I just spend the whole day in bed on my days off. Easily till like 2pm or 6pm. Easy.

I know what I don't like to do. So I'm trying to get rid of them.

Unfortunately I just end up on my arse a lot, or my back, here on PF. That is what I enjoy
              That honestly sounds like you are still struggling with your depression, maybe more than you realize. I'd say that's probably a big contributing factor to the sleep thing. I know when I'm on the low part of the hill, I struggle to have fun and get up -- the only reason I still do is that I have a kid and pets that pretty much INSIST that I do, not to mention my job is totally not flexible about that sort of thing.

You may want to talk to your doc about adjusting your meds or finding out if you need more time to adjust. In the mean time, I always force myself to so something when I get like that, even if its stupid like getting the mail or being outside for 5 minutes. Sometimes a change of scenery forces the issue.

Or you need a gerbil or something.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post

That honestly sounds like you are still struggling with your depression, maybe more than you realize. I'd say that's probably a big contributing factor to the sleep thing. I know when I'm on the low part of the hill, I struggle to have fun and get up -- the only reason I still do is that I have a kid and pets that pretty much INSIST that I do, not to mention my job is totally not flexible about that sort of thing.

You may want to talk to your doc about adjusting your meds or finding out if you need more time to adjust. In the mean time, I always force myself to so something when I get like that, even if its stupid like getting the mail or being outside for 5 minutes. Sometimes a change of scenery forces the issue.

Good luck!
                Yeah I was only just thinking that. Toreys commment about 'not finding the same things fun'. I havent had any fetal-crying moments on the couch since I got the meds, so I've been thinking that I'm 'better' than before. But it seems to be manifesting differently...

Suggestions like that are good. Maybe I need more of that.

And im thinking another visit to the doc. And the counsellor

RIP

You cut your hair short
                Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post

Good luck!
                  Yeah, I'd second this. Also, anti-depressants themselves can make you a bit groggy, especially in the morning. I found that that was a big issue with me.

Also, it might seem like an obvious question, but when are you going to bed at night? I find that if I stay up late, I can't get up early. It's just simple biology...the body wants to get enough sleep!

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                    Also, it might seem like an obvious question, but when are you going to bed at night? I find that if I stay up late, I can't get up early. It's just simple biology...the body wants to get enough sleep!

Even if you are going to bed at what you consider a reasonable time you might benefit from going to bed a bit earlier. You know you have the "right" bedtime when you go to bed and wake up on your own about 5 minutes before your alarm, 9 times out of 10. To find the "right" bedtime, figure out when your normal bedtime is and back it up 15-20 minutes and try that for 3-4 days, if that isn't enough then back up your bedtime another 15-20 minutes, etc. When you get to a point where you are waking up at the desired time, then stick with it. No exceptions, at least for the first month or so...not even on the weekends, until you get in a good pattern.

Also, no naps. Once you finally establish a good sleep schedule, if you stay out and up late, don't sleep in more than an hour or so, and don't take a nap--it will mess up your schedule. One day is easy to recover from, but more than that, and you mess up your sleep cycle again. And DON'T HIT SNOOZE, and if you wake up early, within an hour of when you need to wake up, just get up. For both of these, going back to sleep for short periods of times confuses your sleep clock (sleep people generally say 2 hours, but I find waking up at 3 am to be disheartening).

Proper sleep is as important as diet and exercise when it comes to physical and mental health.
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post

Yeah, I'd second this. Also, anti-depressants themselves can make you a bit groggy, especially in the morning. I found that that was a big issue with me.

The shitty mornings only really started the last 3-4 weeks, I've been taking happy pills for just over 2 months.

The bed time has been something I've been testing. I've been crashing after work, at like 8.30, sometimes as early as 6.30. And with sleeping till like 8 am I thought I might be oversleeping, so I started forcing myself to stay up till like 11-12 so I would only have 7-8 hours sleep, but that didnt work either. Im trying to regulate it now at about 10.30. But yeah, I thought of that.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                      Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

With more info, it sounds like a side effect of your meds. Time to chat with the doc.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post

Even if you are going to bed at what you consider a reasonable time you might benefit from going to bed a bit earlier. You know you have the "right" bedtime when you go to bed and wake up on your own about 5 minutes before your alarm, 9 times out of 10. To find the "right" bedtime, figure out when your normal bedtime is and back it up 15-20 minutes and try that for 3-4 days, if that isn't enough then back up your bedtime another 15-20 minutes, etc. When you get to a point where you are waking up at the desired time, then stick with it. No exceptions, at least for the first month or so...not even on the weekends, until you get in a good pattern.

Also, no naps. Once you finally establish a good sleep schedule, if you stay out and up late, don't sleep in more than an hour or so, and don't take a nap--it will mess up your schedule. One day is easy to recover from, but more than that, and you mess up your sleep cycle again. And DON'T HIT SNOOZE, and if you wake up early, within an hour of when you need to wake up, just get up. For both of these, going back to sleep for short periods of times confuses your sleep clock (sleep people generally say 2 hours, but I find waking up at 3 am to be disheartening).

Proper sleep is as important as diet and exercise when it comes to physical and mental health.
                          And Thal, even if I want to get up, it is so difficult. Even getting up for work is hard.

It seems that if I'm not actively doing something, I want to sleep. I need to be occupied, and theres not much keeping me occupied atm, because I'm not in the mod for it.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                          Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

And Thal, even if I want to get up, it is so difficult. Even getting up for work is hard.

It seems that if I'm not actively doing something, I want to sleep. I need to be occupied, and theres not much keeping me occupied atm, because I'm not in the mod for it.

I'm with RW--its worth talking to the doc ASAP. Maybe looking into a different med or dosage might be in order, if otherwise you are doing better. I guess something to think about is whether the fatigue seems more emotional or more physical...I have thyroid issues and when my meds are off for any length of time, I can have debilitating fatigue (I had a doc that wanted to diagnose me with chronic fatigue syndrome). Even without med issues, I'm prone to sleep issues, which is why I harp so much on good sleep hygiene...I know how just getting a little bit off can snowball into a bigger problem.
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post

I'm with RW--its worth talking to the doc ASAP. Maybe looking into a different med or dosage might be in order, if otherwise you are doing better. I guess something to think about is whether the fatigue seems more emotional or more physical...I have thyroid issues and when my meds are off for any length of time, I can have debilitating fatigue (I had a doc that wanted to diagnose me with chronic fatigue syndrome). Even without med issues, I'm prone to sleep issues, which is why I harp so much on good sleep hygiene...I know how just getting a little bit off can snowball into a bigger problem.
                              Yeah im hearing you

And its not thyroid for me, got that tested as well. All results came back normal. So its in my head. :S

RIP

You cut your hair short
                              Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment