This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

confused about my path, guidance needed

Hey, hope everyone is well. I'm new to the Forum so I'll try and keep my question short and clear. For a long time I've been interested in nature but in a spiritual way but I am stuck. I feel a longing towards nature as if something is missing. The thing is I believe in Xtian God and most of the principles, I don't like the term christian and don't consider myself one but I do follow the believe system so it might sound rather contradictory. The thing is I am interested in paganism and I know how christianity and paganism have this history of conflict and how the bible teaches against it but something is drawing me towards paganism and I am just confused about what to do regarding my path? Can someone give me guidance or ideas on what to do about my situation ?

Re: confused about my path, guidance needed

Looks like that Wicca, Shamanism and Druidry fit here. Though, I'm not sure about the last two. Try to do some research in our "Pagan traditions & Discussion" section. And as far as I remember, we have the "Ask a ______ thread"s which can appear super useful to you.

I hope you'll find what you're looking for.
    Best of luck!
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Thanks for the reply Gleb, I'll search around a bit in that section.

Keep well and take care

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the reply Gleb, I'll search around a bit in that section.

Keep well and take care.

Comment

confused about my path, guidance needed

Hey, hope everyone is well. I've poster this on the safe zone but am reposting here because I figured it more appropriate in this section. I'm new to the Forum so I'll try and keep my question short and clear. For a long time I've been interested in nature but in a spiritual way but I am stuck. I feel a longing towards nature as if something is missing. The thing is I believe in Xtian God and most of the principles, I don't like the term christian and don't consider myself one but I do follow the believe system so it might sound rather contradictory. The thing is I am interested in paganism and I know how christianity and paganism have this history of conflict and how the bible teaches against it but something is drawing me towards paganism and I am just confused about what to do regarding my path? Can someone give me guidance or ideas on what to do about my situation ?

Comment

The question is appropriate in either section. The only real distinction is how vengeful the mods will be toward misbehavior. SAFE exists for newbies to ask questions or comment with slightly less concern about the rest of the forum's reaction because Mods are actively monitoring with fire and sword for misbehavior. To be clear, Mods are always monitoring and I enjoy fire and sword so of course I keep them on hand but our standards of acceptable behavior in SAFE are more stringent than here.

I have no objection to the thread in whichever location you prefer but I do object to it being in both places at once. Pick which thread you want to keep open and I'll either merge the other into it or remove the other depending on how many replies it has.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

My apologies. I'd prefer it in the S.A.F.E Zone section.

Thank you for the explanation.

Comment

Hi motherearth,

You can blend aspects Paganism with Christianity. As with Christianity, Paganism is an umbrella term and there are lots of forms it can take. For me, studying the philosophy of Druidry helped me to put a voice to that part of my personal faith that recognised the Divine reflected in nature. In my heart, I understood God as creative. Because all creators express what lies within, I believe that earth reveals the personality of God. There are many verses in the Bible that liken aspects of God to nature and many Christians in the past have come to a greater depth of faith through appreciating and honouring nature (eg Stuart H. Kine who wrote the hymn How Greath Thou Art or more recently Laura Story who wrote Indescribable). It's no wonder you see something special when you pay attention to the earth, it is God's witness to us.

The bare bones of Christianity is love. To love God and to love others are the two most important principles. IMO, how you live this out is between you and God. As you grow spiritually, love also grows and you will find more ways to express it. If you have a love or reverence for nature, don't be ashamed if it should be part of your worship.

How you seek the Divine is up to you. When I knew earth-honouring had to become an aspect of my faith, I started on this forum as well. I encourage you to read the articles and stickies here that you find interesting. Find something that resonates with you and follow it up.

You may or may not end up moving away from Christianity. I think it's important to not jump headlong into something new but really check it out at first. Give time for what you are learning to be absorbed and tested. There can be a lot of guilt when you begin to move away from mainstream Christianity. Just ask for guidance as you seek and know that there are people who have been where you are and are enjoying a fulfilling spirituality. Seekers are rewarded!
              Last edited by Azvanna; 21 Aug 2014, 14:22.

Comment

Threads joined by mod decree. What mods have joined, let no mortal tear asunder.
                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Azvanna, thank you for the kind advice, Druidry interests me since I love the nature aspects of things. I agree with you on a lot of what you said, especially the most important loving God and the people around you.

What is you personal view on combining aspects of paganism with christianity if I may ask?

Once again I appreciate the lovely advice and thank you for taking the time to give advice, I will seek and ask for guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by motherearth View Post
                    What is you personal view on combining aspects of paganism with christianity if I may ask?
                    I have no issue with this. Jesus was a cool dude

Welcome!
                    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                    Seen the desert and the birds
                    You cut your hair short
                    Like a shush to an insult
                    The world had been yelling
                    Since the day you were born
                    Revolting with anger
                    While it smiled like it was cute
                    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by motherearth View Post
                      Azvanna, thank you for the kind advice, Druidry interests me since I love the nature aspects of things. I agree with you on a lot of what you said, especially the most important loving God and the people around you.

Once again I appreciate the lovely advice and thank you for taking the time to give advice, I will seek and ask for guidance.
                      You're welcome!

Have you found this article that explores the definition of paganism? It's heavy reading, but mentions many forms of paganism and offers a definition in the last few paragraphs.

As for your question about how I blend Christianity with paganism, I wrote this in my journal a little while back and it might explain a little:

Essentially, I am a Christian who believes that the earth has a part in the plan of salvation just as I do (Romans 8:18-23). Rather than just me worshipping, it is me and the earth worshipping together in synergy.

I hope that answers your question

Comment

I have met wiccans who follow christianity ( lack of better words) but are still wiccan and use their tools of spirituality. You have to appeal to what feels right to you. It is your spiritual path no one can determine what path you take but yourself

Comment

The article on the definition of paganism you linked gave me a better understanding of the word so thanks for that, I see it's a broad word and can take on a lot of different ways on how we interpret it.

Thanks for the piece out of your journal entry it is inspirational and I seem to feel the same way about me and nature worshipping together rather than being separate and ignoring nature as part of being.

Haha and I agree Jesus was a cool dude.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for your advise. I am starting to feel that way about my path, I am sure I will try to avoid to label it but stay true to it.

Comment

Working...
                          X