This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Describe your path

What Gods or Pantheon do you believe in?

I am a hard polytheist, meaning that I believe Gods are separate independent entities. Main main four Gods are Satan, Beelzebub, Ashtaroth and Azazel. Then there are Lesser Demons whom are important as well. I worked a lot with Raum. Satan told me personally that if I ever needed protection I should call Haures or Orobas. I have worked with Orobas though for other reasons. I've also worked with Leraje and Volac, recently.

What rituals do you practice and for what purpose?

Rituals serve many purposes. Personal spiritual advancement, material goals, helping or destroying others. You name it. Most of the time we work with our own energy and power, but we can also choose to call upon Demons or Gods for assistance. Sometimes the entity refuses, sometimes they accept.

Do you believe in the Afterlife or Otherworld?

I believe that the day our body dies, our soul goes into another plane, were we choose to disperse into eternity, reincarnate, or stay on the spiritual plane.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

I don't really have a 'path' yet. I do have my beliefs though, but I'm young, and my beliefs change and develop a lot. At present:

I believe that the Divine is in everything, and that there is one great power. HOWEVER; I believe that the one great power is divided into countless Deities. Every deity is a different aspect of the great power. I tend to think of the Divine as a Goddess, but I know that there must be masculine energy there two. Really, 'male' and 'female' are human concepts, so I think that assigning genders to our Gods is a way for us to understand the Divine more easily, or to make them feel more personal, and for me, femininity works the best. My main Goddesses are Gaia (earth) and the Universal Goddess. I occasionally think of the Horned God as well.

As far as rituals go, pretty much nothing outside of prayer and meditation. Occasionally I light a candle, and say a few words, but that is it. Sometimes when I'm outside I 'talk' to the moon or ocean, anything natural beauties. Do Tarot cards count? I've gotten into Tarot cards a lot, I absolutely adore them, so I suppose that's a ritual I do, but it's about my self discovery as opposed worship.

I'm not 100% sure about an afterlife. I would LIKE to think that we all go to some kind of heaven and that we keep all our memories and it's all happily ever after, but I don't really believe that. I think that our souls continue their journey in the Universe, but what kind of journey I am not sure. I believe in soul mates, and I think that they stay together throughout their journeys, and even when they are separated that they always find each other in the end.

Comment

I honestly don't know how to define myself anymore. I'm still searching. Not so much for deity, because I think I'm more or less sure what I believe in that regard, but I lost my faith a few years ago and returning has been hard. I know I believe, but I think faith is something I struggle with. I don't trust deity. It feels pointless to pray some days, because while I know the gods will listen and even reply at times, I don't feel they can or will do anything. I go through the motions of spell casting, but I've lost trust in the universe somewhere along the way, so almost expect them not to work from the outset.

So now I'm on a quest. I'm looking for a good solid answer to why so many horrible things happen in the world. Why people can be brutally slaughtered in mass numbers simply for the religion they chose. Why is 80% of the world's wealth belongs to 20% of it's population.. and most of THAT is squirreled away in bank accounts, instead of circulating through the economy, making it stronger. Why are there so many people reliant on food banks? Why did one of my best friends marry a man who turned out to be a monster? I'd love to say 'oh it's the modern age with no sense of community anymore', but it doesn't take much research into the ancient 'civilizations' from whom many of us as Pagans have adopted our gods and sometimes practices, to realise that brutality and hatred towards our fellow man has been an inherent human trait probably for longer than walking on two legs.

I'm praying, casting and most importantly meditating again. I'm asking the universe these questions and I know the answer is out there. I need to first understand why these things are allowed to happen, then learn to forgive the Great Spirit for being unable to prevent or reverse this imbalance. I have a few hunches, and feel I'm getting close to an answer.

As for my concept of deity... While I have been drawn to local deities of Celtic origin so tend to use these names, I've had a few experiences that have led me to believe that deities are nameless. That not only have human beings had to assign them names, they have sometimes given multiple deities the same name, and other times assigned many names to just one entity. I don't believe the gods are a separate type of being to any other spirit, but rather they are just greater, maybe more powerful, certainly more influential. You might say I believe that everything has a spirit.. I certainly have a dialogue going with my apartment and honestly believe it is sentient on some level. However, it is more accurate to say that I believe everything IS spirit. I think that this thing we consider to be 'spirit energy' is nothing more than the energy that holds matter together and creates the illusion of the physical world we're programmed to operate in. Do I believe my keyboard can speak to me? No, not quite, but ask me if I believe I can interact on some level with the forces holding together its molecules if I chose to, then I am sure you'd get a very different answer. I'm not even sure at this stage if this spirit energy is intelligent, or if it just behaves in a way that appears as intelligence to us. Maybe it only behaves this way when a human mind is applied to it.. somehow affected by OUR intelligence. If so, it is enough to give the impression that we can speak to the dead, and allow us to describe the past of a total stranger in surprising detail. In either case, it is worthy of respect and exploration.

I'm also finding myself drawn to ancestor worship. Well, I don't like the term 'worship' in this case, it feels more like reverence. Acknowledging how important it is not to simply be blank slates ready to make the same mistakes as those who went before us, but instead to learn from their mistakes and achievements and build upon them. This seems to me to be how mankind is meant to operate. It's how we evolve on both a personal and social level. It seems strange to have suddenly forgotten this aspect of our species. So I try to allow myself to be influenced by my ancestors and respect what they have to teach me. I admit that the Celtic influence most likely led me to this conclusion.

I'm either getting closer to understanding my own concept of reality, or I'm slipping further towards insanity.
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I'm a Christian traditional witch that works in solitude.

I believe in and worship God Yahweh, his son the Christ Jesus, and the Holy Spirit my guidance and counselor- whom is also male.

I also work with 4 archangels; Raphael, Michael, Gabriel, and Uriel whom assist me with many of my rituals, some which include incense, oil and candle burning, daily alter prayers, spell craft, card reading and herbal remedies. I began to blend my faith with that of witchcraft long ago but recently began to celebrate both Christian Holidays as well as the Wheel of the year. I use the wheel of the year to help keep me connected to the world around me. The solstices and the equinoxes, The days where nature needs to be respected.

I do believe in the afterlife. I believe that if you were a mostly decent person in life, when you are buried into the earth you earn the right to 'sleep' until God's return and judgement for the final decision of your entry into his heavily kingdom. I also believe that if you're cremated instead of decomposed in nature, your soul cannot rest and you're forced to live in a mirrored world of this one. And lastly I believe in Gehenna, the torturous destination of those who are truly wicked.
          "By yarrow and rue, and my redcap too."

Comment

My path is of Canaanite polytheism through reconstruction and research, with some UPG (Unverified Personal Gnosis) thrown in. I give daily prayers to Ilu and Athirat, the Co-Creators and Maintainers of the Universe, and pray to 'Anat, the Maiden Warrior Goddess. She's a 'virgin' in the independent, confident meaning of the word, living in her own holy mountain, and fighting on equal level with other gods, most of them her brothers and sisters. I'm polytheist in that I believe the roles the gods and goddesses fill are often the same, yet They are different entities. I think of it as the police, fire departments, hospitals and other civic institutions in other cities: the job/need is the same, but the people doing those jobs are not the same person at all. I'm henotheist, in that I acknowledge and respect that while all gods are real, I only give worship to a few of them.

I've also touched based with other Iluma (Ugaritic for 'the gods'; I use it in the definition of 'pantheon'): Kothar-wa-Hasis, the Skillful and Clever god of craftsmanship, Choron who is a god of purification, poisons and healing, and treaty-keeping, and occasionally Shapshu, the sun goddess. One god I actually haven't had much contact with is Ba'al Hadad, the Cloud-Rider (the god that many Jewish prophets railed against in the scriptures). I feel that I should be honoring Him because my region, the Pacific Northwest, relies on rain for beauty and resources. On the other hand, I've given prayers and offerings to the spirits living on the land I'm renting, and to the house spirit.

When I first started praying to the Iluma, I followed the formats in the books. But later I would fall out of practice, only to get back in again. Currently I've trained myself to give Them daily offerings of olive oil, water, wine. I also give candles and incense, usually before bed. I've found that my day goes that much better when I give an offering. Most of the offerings are things traditional to Their culture, but there's no problem in mixing things up. One time Kothar-wa-Hasis was very interested in trying some of the cola drink I had while studying, especially when I said it 'has something to help me concentrate'!

I also consider writing prayers for the Iluma as a special devotion for Them. Information on them is sparse, so I feel I'm doing my bit by making some of my prayers available to others who might find Them. I don't do many rituals. I believe though, that by praying I'm 'passing along' energy or strength, or whatever it is the Gods need out in the world today.

I believe in reincarnation, though I wonder if it happens right away, or if the soul of a person waits in an afterlife before moving on. Canaanite mythology refers to an afterlife, not good or bad, but simply there. It was more important to have your family continue to give offerings and honor your memory. Shapshu is the Torch of the Deities, and she is considered a guardian of the dead, visiting the underworld every night. I have been doing a daily candle for Her since the solstice to thank her for her light, and to carry my prayers to any ancestors I have there.

I'm no expert on anything related to Canaanite polytheism. I'm just doing what I've learned works for me and Them. :3

Comment

I'm a Witch. That's the most accurate I can get lol I'm a bit of an Eccletic meets Hedge Witch kinda-person. I follow my own path, dedicated to Nature and the Goddess, I study herbs, crystals, tarot, natural remedies and such. I learn from what the Earth teaches, love to read a lot and learn things related to all pagan and non-pagan paths. I follow my heart and try to learn as much as I can and construct my own path

Comment

For those who posted in this thread a year or two back, I recommend going back and reading your old post, and comparing it to your current path. I found it very interesting.

Comment

I have been wanting to do this for quite a while but waited because "I have yet to find my path". But perhaps that is my path. Ever-changing & fluid. I'd quite like that actually.

I could go on and on about my personal history with all sorts of wacky beliefs but (I DON'T WANT TO!) I'll save you from that. I guess I'll just sum it up saying it has been a bumpy and colourful ride so I don't have any kind of "escape from Christianity to Paganism" experiences. I am born to be a mess. :-D
                  But well, the divinity. Sometimes I just could go calling it the divine, sometimes I need a more specific name or appearance to go to. But still I believe that there is some kind of energy/force/life in everything that exists. And when it comes to putting a face & a name to the thing, I usually think of the Buddhist deity Kuan Yin because she represents so many things I find divine and especially close to me. Sometimes I find her to be a bit too "Chinese" for someone with European background but still the archetypical figure of Kuan Yin tends to stay with me and whenever I am in trouble I find myself praying to her and sometimes to some kind of archetype of Amitabha, the Buddha of Limitless Light. (Mainly because many Buddhists consider him as kind of a salvic figure who takes devotees to his Pure Land after their death. I have a lot of issues with dying.)
                  But I don't believe in any kind of solid existence of the gods (believing in solid existence of humans, animals or plants can be a tricky one too). I think a lot of things in the universe are just connection, reflection and flow and finally I am able to find that beautiful (Buddhism does have similar teachings but I tend to interpret Buddhism in a way too morbid and rigid) and that movement and reflection itself is enough to be divine for me.
                  And I also have faith in a trinity where my helper in daily life/studies is Coffee, the chill out/contemplative deity is Tea and the protector against insomnia and sickness is Hot Chocolate.

Right now I'm not doing any huge rituals but I just realised a couple of days ago that I have some small things I've always done like dipping my fingers into water after the ice has left or things like that. I'm also interested in prayer but I don't have any set of prayers or words to repeat, for me it's more like 'feeling into the moment' or something as new-agy as that. Sometimes I find myself repeating mantras in my head but I haven't made a practice out if it. But well, I'm in the process of forging and finding the rituals and practices that bear some meaning for me and my path. I like the idea of rituals and I know I need some more structure in my life and rituals could be perfect for that. I guess I'll just have to begin with ordinary things like cleaning and make them a bit like rituals before adopting something entirely new.

And about my. The trickiest thing of everything. Right now I just go by "I don't know" because I've spend far too many years of my short life thinking about death and trying to force myself believe in some rigid set of afterlife thoughts because some holy person has described the death & afterlife process as this or that. I find an agnostic take on death, dying, afterlife and possible rebirth to be quite refreshing.
                  baah.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeran View Post
                    For those who posted in this thread a year or two back, I recommend going back and reading your old post, and comparing it to your current path. I found it very interesting.
                    It took me some digging, but I found a post I made in 2012. Besides the soul searching I described in my most recent post, nothing had really changed.. I start every volume of my book of shadows with a round up of my current beliefs though, and THAT is quite revealing. There's anything from 2 to 8 years between each volume, so I get to see quite a lot of change, as well as seeing what has stayed the same.

And I also have faith in a trinity where my helper in daily life/studies is Coffee, the chill out/contemplative deity is Tea and the protector against insomnia and sickness is Hot Chocolate.
                    Where do I sign up to this cult? ^^

Also, I know you said you'd rather not go into all the 'wacky' beliefs you've had, but if you change your mind, we have a thread for just that sort of thing; http://www.paganforum.com/showthread...ur-progression
                    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                      Where do I sign up to this cult? ^^
                      baah.

Comment

They all are important to people but I see myself as pantheist and the Gods are strong spirits that can be guides, companions, etc. I'm feeling called to Loki of the Norse Pantheon but who knows I'm still trying to figure that out lol.

Eh, I'm not much of a ritual person unless I do cleansing, readings or participate in holidays with friends and former coven-mates. Casting circles are in my practice though. When I do practice. lol

Yes. I believe in the end we go to another place. Another plane perhaps. Maybe where we wish before the end, or if we choose certain paths we go to that religion's heaven. No idea but I know we have life after death.

Comment

I identify as somewhat of a naturalistic pantheist, ala the World Pantheist Movement's definition. I don't believe in God or Gods/Goddesses in any traditional sense. To me the Cosmos and Nature are divine, and that's where I focus my reverence. I will admit a soft spot for Bodhisattvas like Manjushri and Avalokitseshvara/Kannon, but I don't pray to them so much as see them as inspiring archetypes.

I don't have any formal rituals. I was raised Episcopalian as the son of a priest, and as I have had to move back in with my family due to a devastating injury (chronic pain is hell, let me tell you that, but at least I'm alive), and they are very big on Christianity, liberal as they are they push me to go to church with them. So I grew up with the liturgical calendar. Even though I don't believe that stuff anymore I like the high church Anglo-catholic rituals, the ancient hymns, the incense and candles. I have been practicing (somewhat inconsistently) in previously in various Buddhist traditions such as Nichiren Shu and Zen. I'm trying to get back into meditating more formally, and chanting. I still find Zen informing a lot of my outlook and would like to get back into sitting zazen formally. I don't have any rituals I do, although I do have the rather superstitious habits of sometimes asking for help and guidance from the Universe (while at the same time not being sure the universe listens, though sometimes positive turns have happened or I've gotten results that worked) and setting intentions at 11:11. I have no formal rituals. For me a walk in the woods or along a beach is a ritual in itself if done mindfully. The idea of honoring the seasons is very appealing to me as well.

I don't claim to know the answer to this question. I don't believe in reincarnation despite my involvement with Buddhism. I kinda think this life is all that is, we die, and what lives on are memories, any children we have, our atoms perhaps, our constituent elements. To me that means our priorities in life should be front and center in the present moment.

Comment

I'm only a little theistic, but I'm not monotheistic. I revere elemental spirits and certain deity concepts, not necessarily specific deities. Once in a while, I offer a prayer to the elementals and/or the deities. I ask them to help protect me. I've done a few protection spells on my own. One of them was on a pendant, which I never take off. I believe that much of your strength comes from your own energy, but the gods are there to help when you need it.

I have certain beliefs in something akin to reincarnation. Energy can't be destroyed. It can only be transformed. When you die, your energy goes to another organism. When that organism dies, its energy goes to another organism and so on. Eventually, that energy goes to another human being.
                            "All right, new rule: no evil laughter before breakfast." -my mother

Comment

17 pages in, and I just realized I've never answered this thread. I'm sure we've had other ones like this before, but...

All of them, and none of them. I have no literal belief in deity. However, I do believe in them as an archetype/personification of nature sort of way. I have a stronger affinity towards the Grecian gods, and Hellenic belief in general, but at the end of the day, they are just a pathway to worshipping what I actually worship: nature/Earth/elements/components of life.

I primarily celebrate the changing of the seasons. I hold big public parties for the solstices, and I'm working on turning the equinoxes into them, as well. I will celebrate the lesser sabbats, but I also care about them less, since in my location, we really only have winter, and summer. The finer aspects of the rest of the WotY don't apply to me. Everything from Samhain - Ostara is winter, May Day is sometimes Springish, sometimes still winter, by the time we get to the summer solstice, it's summer, Lughnasadh is our last harvest, not our first, and then by the time the autumn equinox comes around, we're almost winter. So I stick to the equinoxes and solstices because they are astrological. The rest of the sabbats don't really apply except through ritual.

Other things I do: 'a year ahead' tarot spread every Jan 1. I probably read tarot at least once a month otherwise. Try to maintain my various shrines around the house (let's face it, messy little collections of the living and dead in nature is probably more accurate). I make candles in the winter, bake bread in the spring, and infuse liquors in the autumn. Otherwise, I just observe. I observe the unfurling of the fiddleheads, and the sprouting of the pussy willows. I observe the first red leaf in the forest, and the first snowflake in the sky. I make note of the first day of darkness, and the last day of sunlight (I live close to the arctic circle). I watch the aurora. I sit outside. I grow plants, and therefore life. I say hello to squirrels, rabbits, foxes, ravens, and ptarmigans. That is how I practice.

No. Once you die, you are dead. I believed differently once, but that was a long time ago.

Mostly art.

Comment

Yes, please.

Whatever comes to mind for achieving the necessary purpose to fulfill the context of the ritual at hand.

Reincarnation.
                                There is beauty in darkness for those who dare enter the shadows to embrace it. - John Coughlin

Comment

Working...
                                X