X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

teen boys have brain to blame for poor choicrs

http://www.iflscience.com/brain/why-...zClVIJVOOEu.99

The article says teen boys brains react differently.
    Thoughts?

Re: teen boys have brain to blame for poor choicrs

anyone has their brains to blame for their choices..... as far as their brains being wired differently, are we really surprised?
    Dunno, brain chemicals are, well, screwed up for so many people, it can't really be as simple as boys and girls..... and it probably isn't (not reading the whole original study thanks...) but it is interesting...
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Well there brains aren't fully cooked yet. Kids are just not adults. No matter how smart or special you think your kid is. No matter how well they play with loaded guns, fire and bees. They are still just kids. Give them a break and just let them cook.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

My personal conclusion is that attributing almost any behaviour to a person's gender is ridiculous. Women behave 'feminine' because they are taught to, and their is immense pressure from society to fit the standards set for what is considered 'femininity'. Men behave 'masculine' because they are taught to, and there is immense pressure to fit the standard of 'masculinity'. It is simply that they have been so ingrained into our heads, from usually a very early age, as being the norm that we assume they are the normal behaviour for each gender.

In the end, my opinion is that gender does not determine a person's interests or actions.

Comment

I am with Maria De Luna and LunarHarvest at this point.
          It's not fair to say that all boys behave like ____, and all girls behave like ____. Fact is that not all of the members of specific gender act the same way.

In my opinion it's a matter of personal character and home education.
          "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I hate stuff like this because people get all PC and aren't actually understanding the study...or really how science works and what the science is really saying. Instead, its all about agenda...

So...humans are more alike chimpanzees as a group than one human is like another human, genetically. But clearly, we are not chimpanzees. When we look at chimp genetics, its not shocking...but then, when we apply it to boys and girls in our own species, all the sudden there's some agenda of individuality or bigotry or whatever... Its ridiculous.

Yes, we are all individuals with individual interests and abilities. But, when you aggregate something like behavior there are patterns that emerge on the basis of age, socioeconomics, ethnicity, gender, etc. Some of these things are genetic (certain ethnicities have certain blood factors), others are developmental (many age and gender differences, and even a few socioeconomic ones), others are physiological (age, socioeconomics, ethnicity, gender).Teasing out which differences are nature vs nurture though, is tricky (and in some cases, I think purposeless).

There are stereotypical gender differences in behavior because people have been noticing differences in behavior for eons because there are biological sex differences in bodies and societal differences in how different genders are treated. Your brain works because of its physical structure and its physiological structure and physiology is directed by all sorts of things, including hormones...and also your thoughts themselves. Boys and girls produce different amounts of different hormones, by virtue of which sexual organs they have...they have differently timed physical and mental development, with different areas of the brain developing at different rates.

Science is based on the significance of statistics --for example, in my job, I use the 95th percentile for everything--that is the level of significance (though when the standard deviation is too high, I might use the mean instead, depending on the situation). Yes, there are atypical males and females...but when you are comparing large groups in one or two charachteristics, for the most part, males and females are different. Some of that difference is biology, and some of that difference is psychology, but when it comes to brain development, it really doesn't matter if its the idea or the thing--both influence how your brain is wired and how your brain wiring works.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

I agree with thalassa. Was just interest and reading overs viewpoints.

Comment

Originally posted by LunarHarvest View Post
                My personal conclusion is that attributing almost any behaviour to a person's gender is ridiculous. Women behave 'feminine' because they are taught to, and their is immense pressure from society to fit the standards set for what is considered 'femininity'. Men behave 'masculine' because they are taught to, and there is immense pressure to fit the standard of 'masculinity'. It is simply that they have been so ingrained into our heads, from usually a very early age, as being the norm that we assume they are the normal behaviour for each gender.

In the end, my opinion is that gender does not determine a person's interests or actions.
                As Thalassa said, this is a matter of groups rather than individuals. Of generals rather than specifics. This is not a matter of skirts being women's clothing, or how you should walk...

It's about adolescent males and their predisposition toward risky behavior. Which, if you read the article is a matter of their brains having an increased emotional response to threats, combined with hormonal changes and social pressures.

Gender might not determine a person's interest or actions, but biology strongly influences every aspect of who and what you are. We know for a FACT that sex hormones affect our emotional state and behavior, for example.
                Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Things we learned. Males and Females are different. That has nothing to do with better or equal. It just means different. People get upset when you point out those differences. Wanting them to be because the evil society has made them that way. Forgetting all along who the hell do you think 'society' is? It's just us. Biology is not sexist. If you don't like the info, don't call it sexist. It's just the facts.

(not any you in particular!)
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Working...
                  X