This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cisgender

Cisgender. What's that you ask? I know you've seen it used on the interwebs.

Cisgender: Denoting or relating to a person whose self-identity conforms with the gender that corresponds to their biological sex; not transgender.

So you were born a girl. And you are now staying a girl. That's called cisgender. How come that's just not called 'ima girl'?

Do I now have to state the kind of female I am on forms? I just don't quite get this. But I'm cisgender female. I should know this.

Seriously though. What says you?
    Satan is my spirit animal

Why do you need to state that you're cisgender?

Why do you need to state that you're transgender?

Why do you even need to state a gender?

Whose bloody business is it anyway?
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Re: Cisgender

People want to fit in. But they want to do it labeled I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
        People want to fit in. But they want to do it labeled I guess.
        I understand the need for labels, I do it in my spirituality all the time, people always asking what I 'am'.

But online, where your gender is practically irrelevant?

It's like biological-and-staying-that-way-females/males want to feel special for being themselves. Look they invented a word!

RIP

You cut your hair short
        Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

The word is used as opposed to transgender, cis is the opposite of trans in latin, I see no problem with that. Specification is important for clarification.

It is a matter of creating a distinction for the purposes of discussion, it isn't really supposed to be a form of identification.
          Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
            The word is used as opposed to transgender, cis is the opposite of trans in latin, I see no problem with that. Specification is important for clarification.

It is a matter of creating a distinction for the purposes of discussion, it isn't really supposed to be a form of identification.
            But it is being used that way. On different web sites, forums, articles and videos, people are using it. And they argue about it and accuse with it. It's ridiculous. If you call a person just male or female and you don't specify the make and model of said gender, they get royally pissy.

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
              Why do you need to state that you're cisgender?

Why do you need to state that you're transgender?

Why do you even need to state a gender?

Whose bloody business is it anyway?

Yep, exactly.

If there's anything I truly hate about humanity, it's the incessant need to put everything in boxes. We don't work that way in reality, but for some reason, we're not comfortable with things until we place them in categories. I don't want to tick off a gajillion categories related to my sex, gender, and orientation. I'm a girl. That's good enough.

The label dislike doesn't just extend to this, by the way....I feel that way about religion, politics, and even nationality. I was born and grew up in Canada, have German heritage, and moved to Germany at 21. Neither my citizenship (dual) nor my personality fit into just one box. People always ask, and I'm always like "short version or long version?" Even if they pick the short version, it always yields questions like "but do you feel more Canadian?" Everyone always wants you to be one or the other, but that's impossible. I'm both in a lot of way, and in other ways, I'm kind of neither. In some areas I lean one way, and in others I lean the other. I'm using this as an example because it's so clear to me, but this is what it's like to be human. Humans don't fit into categories, even if we want to fit into categories.
              Last edited by DanieMarie; 01 Sep 2014, 00:28.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post

Yep, exactly.

If there's anything I truly hate about humanity, it's the incessant need to put everything in boxes. We don't work that way in reality, but for some reason, we're not comfortable with things until we place them in categories. I don't want to tick off a gajillion categories related to my sex, gender, and orientation. I'm a girl. That's good enough.
                Zactly.

In places like this, gender is more or less irrelevant, for a lot of people you can guess, but the only reason to do that is for the pronouns.

We need a gender neutral pronoun in English. Badly.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

I is a good one.

Comment

I honestly think the whole gender thing got out of hand. I don't care if you are a boy , girl, boy to girl, or girl to boy. To me every single person gay black Hispanic straight and everything in between u are human a homospaian a humanoid being of intelligence. I'm gay I don't follow set gender roles I wear eyeliner have long hair paint my nails were jewelry but I can bench press with the masculine dudes at my school. What I'm getting at is gender is rediculous it was intended to be used in finding out mating and reproduction not who what or even how u should be. Trans cis I don't care. I am me and you are you end of story. That's the way I look at it
                    Knowledge is the key to eternity. Not bowing before a deity not grovling at the feet of a messiah. Knowledge is power beyond mesure - satanic witch

Comment

We need a gender neutral pronoun in English. Badly.
                      There is, it's it. People take exception to it though. I don't get that problem, if someone has that problem it should just get over itself.
                      Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

The only time I give a damn is if it comes down to dating. Transwomen just aren't my type. Not much else to say about that. Otherwise I could honestly care less.

As for who I am. I am a cisman. Not one this society would see as typical, but I am. I seek the definition of that nature which may not be able to spoken. The way that can be spoken may not be the constant way.

Comment

Originally posted by Riothamus12 View Post
                          The only time I give a damn is if it comes down to dating. Transwomen just aren't my type. Not much else to say about that. Otherwise I could honestly care less.

As for who I am. I am a cisman. Not one this society would see as typical, but I am. I seek the definition of that nature which may not be able to spoken. The way that can be spoken may not be the constant way.
                          So. You are a guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                            I is a good one.
                            I mean when talking about others, for example referencing you I would use 'her'. In Indonesian the word for his/her/he/she is all dia. So no distinction. English should do this.

'It' is different. I guess it's to do with things, as english doesnt apply gender to things, like german does for example.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                            Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

I mean when talking about others, for example referencing you I would use 'her'. In Indonesian the word for his/her/he/she is all dia. So no distinction. English should do this.

'It' is different. I guess it's to do with things, as english doesnt apply gender to things, like german does for example.
                              Ah ok. I use them, they, that dude, that chic. I go by my eyes. If you don't like it, stick your finger in my eyes and then see what I call you.

On a serious note, I've come across people who I am not really sure what they are. Not like when I see a man dressed as a woman coming in my line buying a saw. I can tell it's a man in women's clothes. Because he's doing a horrid job at it. But he probably feels great. So I just say ma'am. Because I assume if you are dressing like a female, you want to be called a female. Then again there is this little chubby 5 foot lesbian with full grey short hair that shops in the store. I called her sir once and she just laughed.

But I did have a couple or siblings or whatever come in. They both looked like Pat with poodle hair. I could not tell if they were men or women. I just said have a good day and that was it.

Comment

Working...
                              X