Shinto Group Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shinto Group Thread

I just thought I should say, I am back and regularly visiting at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra View Post
      Welcome back! :3

Comment

Welcome back brother! I am not exactly Shinto anymore (LONG STORY, I actually wasn't looking to convert but something happened) but am still using my knowledge to help those who want it!

Comment

Thank you both for the welcomes back.

I was thinking recently about religious holidays. Have you ever done something for a Shinto holiday? If so, what?

Comment

I celebrated Obon last year, and have ever intention to celebrate it this year as well. I celebrated it via making a makeshift altar and making food offerings of salt, rice and water, as well as some tea. I know it is more of a Buddhist holiday than a proper Shinto holiday, but I'll still count it.

Now that I think about it, Shyunki Taisai (Great Spring Ceremony) is coming up. Any plans for celebrating it? I'll probably set up another makeshift shrine and offerings, and pray for the upcoming season. :3

Comment

However simple I will definitely do something. It is a little tough for me considering how I am in college, luckily I will be done rather quickly. I'm curious as to exactly how you have constructed your makeshift altar.

Comment

However simple I will definitely do something. It is a little tough for me considering how I am in college, luckily I will be done rather quickly. I'm curious as to exactly how you have constructed your makeshift altar.
                It was really simple, to be honest probably a little bit too much so. I placed some cloth on a table, with electric candles and the offering. I was really just trying to establish a space for proper offerings, since I cannot really purchase anything close to a proper home shrine, or something similar, due to circumstances. :3

Comment

Salt, rice, water, and tea, right?
                  What kind of tea? Can't wait until I can get a kamidana by the way.

Comment

For me it was just peppermint tea. xD
                    To be perfectly honest, there was no real 'spiritual' reason for my choice in tea. That being said, it was my go-to tea at the time.

I also can't wait for when I can finally get a kamidana, but I'm not in an area or place where an open practice of polytheistic religions, let alone Shinto, is welcome, so it will probably be quite some time before I can acquire one for myself. :P

Comment

Oh, I understand about the tea.

The way you talk you would think that you live in the Holy See or something :P If the kamidana is in your home, who is going to raise a fuss about it?

Comment

Oh, I understand about the tea.

The way you talk you would think that you live in the Holy See or something :P If the kamidana is in your home, who is going to raise a fuss about it?
                        I live in a family that is universally made up of devout Catholics, and very traditional ones at that. On both sides of my family all my immediate family, my uncles and aunts, cousins, grandparents, et cetera, are all Catholic. In addition, they would be very cross if they knew I held polytheistic beliefs, and even more cross if I brought something that would 'invite demons' into the house, like a kamidana.

It is one of the major reasons I am in the broom closet currently. I may step out of it soon enough, but that action would not be smart at the moment.

Comment

Hi everyone! I thought I'd pop in here, since a LOT of the gods/spirits I work with are Japanese. I don't self-identify as Shinto. I just...do Shinto stuff? I bought a kamidana in Japan. They're much cheaper over there, and I was able to put mine in my (ginormous) suitcase. I painted it black and applied pearlescent powder upon Herself's instructions (Sarasvati, in Japan - Benzaiten-sama), to imitate traditional lacquerwork. She didn't like the plain wood at all. It looks rather amateurish, but She is very fond of it. In fact, when I was considering saving up for one of those beautiful scale models, she was like but you painted this one for me!!! I'd say she has the same attachment to it as a parent has to the lopsided "World's BEST mom/dad!!!" Coffee mug/Ashtray they get from their kids

Comment

Hey everyone!
                            I have a question. Is there some sort of codex in Shinto? Something that it's acceptable to follow.
                            "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                              Hey everyone!
                              I have a question. Is there some sort of codex in Shinto? Something that it's acceptable to follow.
                              I'm not sure what you mean? Shinto doesn't have a holy text like the JCI faiths, or even multiple ones like Buddhism and Hinduism. The Kojiki and Nihongi often get cited, but both were more "mythic history" than religious text. Think The Golden Bough and The White Goddess. There certainly are standards of behavior one must follow when worshiping at a shrine, some are really basic (the temizu ritual is a given) and others are more situational.

There's actually a great book out from an American-born Shinto priestess (Ann Llewellyn Evans), simply entitled Shinto Norito. You can find it on Amazon. It's a very good basic primer on the most standard Shinto praxis.
                              Last edited by Redfaery; 08 Mar 2015, 12:12. Reason: needed a plural

Comment

Well, there are the 42 purifications of Ma'at in Kemetism which are used on daily basis among people. So I thought maybe there is something similar in Shinto.
                                "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Working...
                                X