Is my God your God, your point of view?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my God your God, your point of view?

Hey brothers and sisters, I have always felt a little strange about some things in my path but I want to discuss one factor only, just to be clear I believe in Jesus but don't consider myself a christian rather a follower of Jesus.

What is your point of view on God? Is God to you the same God that the rest of the community in your faith/religion share ? Or do you feel the God you believe in differs to the God another person of your faith/religion? (Individual God or some sort of personal God)

I hope the question makes sense ? I am trying to gain better knowledge on this subject.

Thanks in advance. Love to all

Re: Is my God your God, your point of view?

I totally get what you're saying. In a way, it's sort of something that I think about from time to time, until it starts to make my head hurt.

Does what I call the color blue and see as the color blue appear the same to someone else? Or do they see my color blue as my color green, but we've all grown up calling it the same thing?

Basically, it's about how we all perceive the same thing in different ways. Odin is Odin, no matter if I am in commune with him, or someone in Germany is communing with him. While we may get different messages from Him, or see Him in different ways, or honor Him in different manners, He is the same. It is we who are different, and therefore know Him differently.

Comment

In the broader sense of myths and archetypes, yes, I imagine those who worship or have a patron God/dess have the same deity. On a personal level, I think we all tend to see what we want to see in our relationships with our deities.

My relationship with Hades was one of servitude, reserve and utmost respect - but I've heard others talk about Him like He is a teddy bear. Even though the relationships were different, I've heard more than one person who has encountered Hades describe the exact same physical aspects and environment as what I know. So, yes, it's the same God - it's the people who are different.
      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by motherearth View Post
        Hey brothers and sisters, I have always felt a little strange about some things in my path but I want to discuss one factor only, just to be clear I believe in Jesus but don't consider myself a christian rather a follower of Jesus.

What is your point of view on God? Is God to you the same God that the rest of the community in your faith/religion share ? Or do you feel the God you believe in differs to the God another person of your faith/religion? (Individual God or some sort of personal God)

I hope the question makes sense ? I am trying to gain better knowledge on this subject.

Thanks in advance. Love to all
        My perception Satan isn't the same as most other Theistic Satanists' perception of Satan. That being said, my perception of the Universe is likely completely different from that of most other Theistic Satanists in general.

Comment

In all jewish schools, studying the Jewish bible is necessary. Because it is the part of the education. I study in a religious high school. So my view on Yhwh is a huge divine force that controls the whole universe and can do everything literally.
          This is the view I developed along the years.
          "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

A qood question. One i havent answered myself.

Comment

I believe everyones perception of there god or gods is different to the rest. For example I'm a theistic satanist and have met a lot of other theistic satanists and we all seem to have a different interpretation of him , like I believe gods are more along the lines of a type of energy rather then flesh blood humanoid beings . So no I don't think any persons gods are the same or even similar to the man next to him
              Knowledge is the key to eternity. Not bowing before a deity not grovling at the feet of a messiah. Knowledge is power beyond mesure - satanic witch

Comment

Originally posted by satanic witch View Post
                So no I don't think any persons gods are the same or even similar to the man next to him
                Is that because of the person's interpretation of energy or due to the manifestation of different energies?

In my heart of hearts, I believe that there is one Divine thing that runs through everything and has its own separate identity as well. I believe that the many gods articulated by cultures throughout history is the same Divine. If I can quote Ophidia: We all see what we want to see in our Gods. I think when we begin to articulate and give words to our gods, in some way, we can also begin to control them. We know what to expect of them, what they might do for us, what they want of us. When a culture begins to find words for their gods, they are articulating their needs, their questions, their morals. So, overtime I think humankind's understanding of the Divine grows and adjusts. We stand on the shoulders of giants so to speak.

I really want to expand on this and make it really clear, but I just don't have time anymore to be pedantic about my posts! lol.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Munin-Hugin . Haha and thats what happens to me I think about it till my head hurts and then just forget about it but it seems pretty important in how we perceive things. Hmm I see what your saying it's more about how we see the same deity as individuals.

Thanks for the reply

- - - Updated - - -

Ophidia thanks for your reply. It seems what your saying makes sense to me that it's people who are different, I think what confuses me is when people starts arguing about what is and what is not about the same God, it makes me feel somehow their God and mine differs on a principle level at the very least, but this is what helps me accept other people so I guess it's not a bad thong in general.

Thanks again for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
                    Is that because of the person's interpretation of energy or due to the manifestation of different energies?

In my heart of hearts, I believe that there is one Divine thing that runs through everything and has its own separate identity as well. I believe that the many gods articulated by cultures throughout history is the same Divine. If I can quote Ophidia: We all see what we want to see in our Gods. I think when we begin to articulate and give words to our gods, in some way, we can also begin to control them. We know what to expect of them, what they might do for us, what they want of us. When a culture begins to find words for their gods, they are articulating their needs, their questions, their morals. So, overtime I think humankind's understanding of the Divine grows and adjusts. We stand on the shoulders of giants so to speak.

I really want to expand on this and make it really clear, but I just don't have time anymore to be pedantic about my posts! lol.
                    Yes and no I think its possible for there to have been a one devine energy aka god but energy can only be changed not destroyed so as deity's came into the existence of the minds of man I believe the energy seperated and changed and it changes with everyone's interpretation of there god a piece changes to fit it, so yes one devine is possible in my idea anyway
                    Knowledge is the key to eternity. Not bowing before a deity not grovling at the feet of a messiah. Knowledge is power beyond mesure - satanic witch

Comment

Thanks for the reply Torey. That's how I understand it too but I am caught up in between believing that we see our God or Gods different from each other and believing it is the same God or Gods.

Thanks again for the reply

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for your reply Gleb. Your point of view makes sense to me since I follow a specific set of principles but still I struggle with believing only in that somehow I also believe how we see God Gods makes our God Gods different from someone else's when speaking about the same God or Gods.

Thanks for your input.

- - - Updated - - -

Haha I guess we are in the same boat here.

Thanks for the reply Loststarshine

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for your reply Satanic Witch. I share a similar view to yours in some sense but am stuck in between my own question so I guess this will remain with me haha. But your point of view is one I share and one that helps me believe every one has the right to their own religion or believe and that no one can condemn you for what you believe in.

Thanks again for your input.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for your reply Azvanna. I share this belief as well I guess I am just struggling when people argue under another about the same God or Gods, it makes me feel their God or Gods differ from one another, but I absolutely get what you are saying and agree on many levels.

Thanks for always having a vast input into topics.

Comment

I think about it and my head hurts too. To think of Aries, Posideon, Ra, Thor, Pan being the same god is hard. I do somethings deditacted to the Lord and Lady but i invision those as an essesence of male and female divine energy. Bast and Sekhmet feel personal to me. I dont feel like my goddesses are one grand goddesses. Bast is Bast shes not Athena or Freya or Airmed. I have pondered if our pantheons are children of two grand divines.

Comment

It makes my head hurt to

Comment

I think it depends on how you define "god".

I think there is one Divine, expressed a myriad of ways. And I think that individual deities are mostly of our own making.
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

I think that all the different perspectives are basically metaphors for the same thing, ie, what is. We are all just doing our best to articulate what is when our apprehension of it is limited at best. We have certain experiences and we either find a ready metaphor to explain it or make one up, or might even ignore experiences that don't fit something we find comfortable. Using words as the tool sometimes feels like trying to hammer with a fish, but that is what we have.

Anyway, to swipe an analogy from Minkin, so many debates feel like two people playing singles tennis on two different tennis courts, each serving for all they are worth as if one can somehow best the other. They are each correct within the parameters they have set, and not communicating at all. And so it often seems to me when people argue religion. I find that once I understand the metaphor, each religion I have considered makes perfect sense, and none contradicts my sense of the universe.

Since I don't see any other game in town other than this existence, no matter how you decide to understand it, then no matter what descriptions we use to explain our experiences we are, of necessity, talking about the same thing. Call it God if you want to.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Working...
                              X