Zombie Apocalypse Planning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zombie Apocalypse Planning

So I put this in hobbies because its more a hobby than a serious thing in our family. We call everything (hurricane preparedness, etc) Z.A. prep and make lots of jokes about it.

But for seriousness, I love this website: http://www.northbaytrading.com/
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Zombie Apocalypse Planning

I saw your thread title and was going to mention them!

My kid (and me) love freeze dried strawberries as a snack, so I bought the full on pound on them. That's a dang big bag.

I also use their dried veggies for my birds who are picky, but seem to adore freeze dried and air dried veggies (I do some of my own, but I can't freeze dry myself)

I just placed an order to try some of their soups and such (and yogurt and mushrooms..and okay I went a little crazy). I'm not a huge preparedness person in that sense, but I do like to have stuff in the cabinet I can make even if I'm too lazy to go to the store.

Comment

Haha I like the title of this thread!

We don't have to be prepared for anything where I live. It's entirely natural disaster free. BUT when I lived on Vancouver Island, I'd spent my whole life hearing about how "the big one (earthquake) is around the corner." So, I always kept a few bottles of water, canned and dried goods, and a first aid kit on hand, just in case.

We do have quite a bit of survival gear here, though. But it's not for emergencies, it's for backcountry camping. We have a water filter (a proper one that will make pond water safe to drink), a small propane cooker, a gajillion flashlights, pocket knives, tents (plural), and a lot of that kind of stuff. I guess if the apocalypse comes in handy, it will be usefl!

Comment

Lol. Some of my friends take this very seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by loststarshine View Post
          Lol. Some of my friends take this very seriously.
          Being prepared for disaster or do they actually expect zombies?

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post

Z.A.P.! Because you never know when lightning will strike next!

(I need to start a new blog)

...more stuff for my list (these guys just on my wishlist):

Experience the power of Goal Zero by improving your lifestyle with our portable power stations, solar generators, solar panels, power banks, and home energy storage solutions.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Okay, now this is cool.

In all honesty though, I live in a fairly non-disaster area (worst case would be a tornado and my stuff would be gone anyway and they are so localized, I'm bound to have friends/family not affected) so its actually more comforting to me to try to learn to live within my environment. I have books on what grows here that I can eat; safe mushrooms/plants/berries. I know how to hunt and my hubby has taught me to safely butcher/clean my own meat and fish. I know basic first aid and local medicinal herbs.

It would take a disaster of apocalyptic proportions before any of this would really be helpful for me and at that point...stuff other than guns and ammo, knifes and bows, are probably pretty useless. (Gas goes bad, so stockpiling it is pointless. Ammo really doesn't if you keep it dry.)

So I know how to survive as best I can.

Comment

I do wonder just how long some of the freeze dried stuff would stay good. And it will run out at some point. Learning how to grow your own,and to hunt and butcher your own meat,and preserve said meat would be more practical. The survival food would be good until you got your crops in,and also learn how to reload ammo.
                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Yeah, we aren't the doomsday preppers....here its hurricanes, flooding (which could just be from a bad storm), unlikely tsunamis, baby e-quakes, possible swamp forest fires, big snow storms, and MAD type scenarios--its a little bit of a military town here.

Plus, I like camping gagetry.
                  sigpic

Comment

Oooo we sooo want a BioLite stove! Not the big one, but the little one that will fit in a backpack!

Comment

I'm kindda lazy - I figure that, where I live, there's more water than most people want, there are more fallen trees than there are people, so there's heat, and a rifle with lots & lots of ammo will bring in all the critters we can eat, and power doesn't much matter - our phone, for instance, has been out for over a week, and we don't miss it (it's actually been out longer, but we didn't notice ).

But, suddenly, I want a biolite stove...
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post

But, suddenly, I want a biolite stove...
                        yeah, right?

<---gadget geek

(an odd affliction for someone that advocates simplicity)

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                        I do wonder just how long some of the freeze dried stuff would stay good. And it will run out at some point. Learning how to grow your own,and to hunt and butcher your own meat,and preserve said meat would be more practical. The survival food would be good until you got your crops in,and also learn how to reload ammo.
                        Realistically, in the event of an actual emergency, you generally only need supplies for about a week...maybe two. So you pick stuff you use IRL for about a week (or two) and use it, then replace it in the back--its a constant rotation then. In a first world nation, if they can't have supplies to you by then, your problem is bigger than freeze dry going bad.

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                        Oooo we sooo want a BioLite stove! Not the big one, but the little one that will fit in a backpack!
                        Oh, I want that one too...
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
                          Zombies. Yep I am neutral I will believe when I see it.

A user posted a link to coplan 8888 that helped convince my friends further.

http://www.cdcfoundation.org/zombies

Comment

Originally posted by loststarshine View Post
                            Zombies. Yep I am neutral I will believe when I see it.

A user posted a link to coplan 8888 that helped convince my friends further.

http://www.cdcfoundation.org/zombies
                            These people believe stories from The Onion too don't they?

Satire just isn't for everyone I guess.

Comment

The onion? Never heard of it. This is a society obcessed with tmz. Remember Y2K I know of people that were convinced that would happen. Just like the Mayan calendar ending. Paranoid people will believe paranoid fears I enjoy the video games that all this zombie apocolypse has brought.

Comment

Working...
                              X