This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you think? Pagan?

So, in my introduction thread I posted some of the characteristics of my belief system. Since I can't post links, I'll quote the pertinent information here:

[...] I was inspired by Kabbalah and the mystical texts of my Jewish heritage [...]

Some beliefs and attributes I would ascribe to my own path would be:
    • Pantheistic (Ein Sof -- the infinite)
    • Nature-based, follows the Wheel of the Year
    • Roughly naturalistic; the Ein Sof cannot be interacted with except by tangible means
    • Two divine "faces" within the infinite, a masculine and a feminine (zachar and nekeva); complementary natures present in all things, though not distinct entities
    • Reincarnation, past lives, totems...
    • Karmic law / Law of Threefold Return
    And a little about my background: I was born Jewish, but after I was born my mother converted to Catholicism and I was raised Catholic. I became an atheist at a young age, but in my later years of high school became interested in my Jewish culture -- I learned Hebrew and studied the Torah. However, in college I discovered that my beliefs didn't quite mesh with mainstream Judaism. I'm not a classic monotheist, for starters, I'd say I'm a pantheist/soft duotheist. So, I felt kind of uncomfortable in religious services.

So now I'm sort of doing my own thing -- but I'm not sure what to call it. (Perhaps it's not important what to call it, but still, I'm interested in seeing what people think.)

I have an altar, and I do ritual purification, a little meditation, and I write poetry as religious ritual (I guess it's a little like prayer in writing, but it's not always prayer-like, sometimes it's just regular poetry). I don't do magic or anything.

So my question is... what are your thoughts? Does this fall under the umbrella of paganism?

Re: What do you think? Pagan?

Hi Acorn,
    I study in a religious Jewish school, and I know that the wheel of the year goes by the sun. That's true, but how is it connected with nature? I don't remember any Jewish religious holiday connected with nature. If you are referring to Shavuot - then the traditions of making milky things were made later on by the people.

Sorry if it sounds a little bit rude, just I am a bit confused about the subject.

- - - Updated - - -

And your beliefs depend on the kind of works you do, and on the altar. If your beliefs are more drawn on nature, or based on at least 2 gods, then I think that they can be defined as pagan-ish beliefs.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
      Hi Acorn,
      I study in a religious Jewish school, and I know that the wheel of the year goes by the sun. That's true, but how is it connected with nature? I don't remember any Jewish religious holiday connected with nature. If you are referring to Shavuot - then the traditions of making milky things were made later on by the people.

Sorry if it sounds a little bit rude, just I am a bit confused about the subject.

- - - Updated - - -

And your beliefs depend on the kind of works you do, and on the altar. If your beliefs are more drawn on nature, or based on at least 2 gods, then I think that they can be defined as pagan-ish beliefs.
      Ah, sorry! I was referring to the Wiccan/neo-pagan Wheel of the Year. So, I'm talking about holidays like Samhain, Yule, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Acorn View Post
        Ah, sorry! I was referring to the Wiccan/neo-pagan Wheel of the Year. So, I'm talking about holidays like Samhain, Yule, etc.
        Aaah, ok. Thanks for explaining!
        "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Yup, you fit under the Pagan umbrella pretty well there...
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Yup! But never worry about that. I think that, if a person feels pagan, they.

I say I have always been pagan because as far back in childhood as I can remember, I would feel "spirits" in the trees and plants. I felt this as more real than the holy stories the nuns were telling us in school.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
              Yup! But never worry about that. I think that, if a person feels pagan, they.

I say I have always been pagan because as far back in childhood as I can remember, I would feel "spirits" in the trI ees and plants. I felt this as more real than the holy stories the nuns were telling us in school.
              I second that.

Comment

You all are right, I shouldn't worry about labeling myself -- but I've always been a little too interested in categorizing things "correctly". It's one of my biggest faults, I suppose!

Thanks for your input, though

As an aside, I went to a local metaphysical store today and the woman at the store was very nice, she even gave me a book on Kabbalah for free! (Long story short -- the book was in the wrong place, and since I found it, she thought it was -- so to speak -- "meant to be" between the book and I, so she gave it to me.) I definitely liked it there.

Comment

Originally posted by Acorn View Post
                  As an aside, I went to a local metaphysical store today and the woman at the store was very nice, she even gave me a book on Kabbalah for free! (Long story short -- the book was in the wrong place, and since I found it, she thought it was -- so to speak -- "meant to be" between the book and I, so she gave it to me.) I definitely liked it there.
                  Hi Acorn! I'm a newbie too, so I don't feel that I can really help you with labels. (I am having a hard time myself ) But I just wanted to say that I think it's awesome and great when the universe sorta "works with you" as in the case with your Kabbalah book. I've heard it said that when things like that line up and work out so well, it means that you are heading in the right direction in life! Just a thought ...

Comment

Originally posted by Meadow View Post
                    Hi Acorn! I'm a newbie too, so I don't feel that I can really help you with labels. (I am having a hard time myself ) But I just wanted to say that I think it's awesome and great when the universe sorta "works with you" as in the case with your Kabbalah book. I've heard it said that when things like that line up and work out so well, it means that you are heading in the right direction in life! Just a thought ...
                    Hey! I definitely see what you mean about heading in the right direction if things seem to be working out. I think so too!

Comment

Working...
                    X