Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are candles necessary for a spiritual cleansing bath?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are candles necessary for a spiritual cleansing bath?

Hello all.

I am planning to do a spiritual cleansing bath and was wondering if candles are necessary. If so what is their role in the ritual?

Re: Are candles necessary for a spiritual cleansing bath?

Honestly, I think it's going to depend on you personally.

For me, candles serve two purposes:

1. They set the mood. Lighting candles and turning down the lights really gets me in the mood for spiritual work.
    2. They represent fire in its most benign, negativity-clearing form.
    Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

Satu is right in that it depends upon you and your personal path/beliefs.

IMHO, however - they are not necessary.

Comment

Very helpful answers. I know what I will do now. Thank you.

Comment

Things like cleansing baths, smudging, visualizations of yourself in little white balls of light - they help build a spiritual atmosphere. They take you out of 'mundane space' and place you into 'sacred space'. Not all traditions use cleansing baths, or fasting (be it from food or sex or whatever), or even a 'sacred circle' to do ritual work. Sometimes, magic just happens, even when you're dirty.
          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Ophidia View Post
            Things like cleansing baths, smudging, visualizations of yourself in little white balls of light - they help build a spiritual atmosphere. They take you out of 'mundane space' and place you into 'sacred space'. Not all traditions use cleansing baths, or fasting (be it from food or sex or whatever), or even a 'sacred circle' to do ritual work. Sometimes, magic just happens, even when you're dirty.

This!

/10 char
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Soap and water usually does me fine. Do a blessing over them is an option. The thing is, you want it to feel special for you, so sit down and work out exactly what you need. Personally, after raising a lot of children in a ramshackle house full of pets and spiders, I'd settle for a bit of peace and quiet to make me feel special. But I'm sure you get my drift - and good luck!
              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Ophidia View Post
                In my case the cleansing bath is the ritual. I'm not doing it to prepare for any other ritual work.

Comment

I understand from the reading a candle focuses the higher spiritual forces to cause effects.
                  Amarres de Amor

Comment

Working...
                  X