Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear, I hope I don't sound crazy...

Hello All,
    I have a little situation that I would love some feedback on, I'm just slightly timid to bring it up incase it makes me sound like a loon.

So here's the thing... I'm wondering whether my house is haunted? Don't get me wrong, I completely believe in spirits (past experiences), but somehow it seems harder to come out and say that I believe I am living in a haunted house.

OK, here are the reasons why I am wondering if it is haunted: I constantly see things move out of the corner of my eye, I hear things (whispers and foot steps), my pets have begun acting strangely (both dogs and cat staring at nothing, my cat freaking out when I try to carry him past a certain corner of the house), and recently there has been a scratching noise in the wall that none of us can find a perpetrator for (and it's in a very unusual spot for vermin, no traps have been sprung, etc). That's about the gist of it! There have been a couple other incidents, but they are so intense that they may seem slightly controversial. Plus, I have almost convinced myself I dreamed them up or something (it would be easier that way).

So anyhow, that's the story. In the case of full disclosure, I have to tell you that my mother passed away in the house a few years ago, which is when some of the "activity" started (although it's definitely been getting worse). This fact makes me feel very conflicted. In one sense, it makes me feel like I may not be crazy for thinking there's a spirit in the house. On the other hand, I know my mother would never try to scare any of us. More importantly, I believe in some sort of "heaven" and I have no doubt that if it exists my mother would qualify to be there. So the idea of her stuck somewhere here on earth is distressing.

So that's my story (told as concisely as possible). I would love any sort of feedback that anyone feels like giving: advice, comments, even if you just want to say "hi". Anything would be a comfort . Thanks so much and
    ~blessed be~

Re: Oh dear, I hope I don't sound crazy...

hello. and welcome to the boards.

what kind of animals are they? what is there strange behavior? you said it has gotten worse in what way?

Comment

Hi, and welcome to PF.

From what you've described, I wouldn't say that your house is haunted. There are many non-supernatural explanations for what you're describing here. I would still perhaps look into creating a special book in which you record all of these kinds of incidents - note the time, any smells associated with them, etc. You may find a pattern.

Comment

Originally posted by loststarshine View Post

what kind of animals are they? what is there strange behavior? you said it has gotten worse in what way?
        Two dogs and a cat. They've done various different things. I woke up in the middle of the night one night because my dog was growling at the middle of the room at nothing. They constantly stare off down a specific hallway (in the direction of where my mom died) and watch things that I don't see. (or so it seems). And recently my cat has become terrified of one corner of the house; staring at it, refusing to walk by it, and freaking out and scratching me if I try to carry him by it.

The activity has gotten worse because I hear more things (now wearing ear plugs at night), animals freaking out more than before, and the scratching noises just started occasionally a few weeks ago but now happen almost every night.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Torey View Post
        I would still perhaps look into creating a special book in which you record all of these kinds of incidents - note the time, any smells associated with them, etc. You may find a pattern.
        This is an excellent idea, thank you!

Comment

i second what torey said get a book write it down. one corner of the house where in a bedroom, living room. etc?

Watch how much negative emotions are being put in the atmosphere inside the house not good haunted at not.

I am not the most experienced or praticed person here.

Research the house the grounds. If it is haunted then I suggest you dont attempt anything unless you fully understand. the hazards. Unless you feel physicaly threaten it best to leave the spirits be. Smudge or blessing of house could irk it off and it no longer plays nicely.

Any children in your house? Cats can be interesting creatures there are logical reasons it could be freaked out. I would just record and observe all things Torey said.

Comment

Today, after giving up on stopping the scratching in the walls ourselves, we had an exterminator stop by and check. He set some traps, but said he couldn't seem to find any cause. Its starting to drive us crazy!

Comment

Very interesting , well u have tried an exterminator , and the dogs and cats act strange, I would still explore physical means for these occurances , after which I'd suggest the same as torey record all things that happen the smells , feelings etc. Then go from there
              Knowledge is the key to eternity. Not bowing before a deity not grovling at the feet of a messiah. Knowledge is power beyond mesure - satanic witch

Comment

Just a question: Can ghosts touch you? And I mean like a real touch, none of that feathery sensation stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Meadow View Post
                  Just a question: Can ghosts touch you? And I mean like a real touch, none of that feathery sensation stuff.
                  In my opinion yeah they can if they are strong enough ,
                  Knowledge is the key to eternity. Not bowing before a deity not grovling at the feet of a messiah. Knowledge is power beyond mesure - satanic witch

Comment

imho yep they can I had one who enjoyed looking through my cds it was odd watching the pages turn on its own.

Comment

Originally posted by Meadow View Post
                      In my beliefs, they can - although I tend to think that sometimes what people experience may not be physical, but psychological.

Comment

Concerning if ghosts can touch you or not; I think there are several ways of thinking about it depending on the persons own beliefs.

I haven't quite decided yet if I believe that they actually touch you, as in my touching the keyboard right now. In some beliefs the spiritual world and the physical world overlap and intersect with each other, or in other beliefs are one and the same, and in that case it makes sense to me that they could literally touch us. As long as they are strong enough to overcome whatever boundaries or differences set our worlds apart.

Another way to look at it is if they are just strong enough in their will to touch then they make that impression upon us and voila, our minds tell us we've seen/felt it touch something - when there hasn't actually been any literal, physical contact. Which is more psychological. I hope that idea makes sense, it's late here now and getting hard to put things into writing...

Of course there are also those whose beliefs are strong enough that they convince themselves that what they believe is true. Like the women who believe so strongly that they are pregnant their bodies actually begin to show signs of pregnancy. IMO, when the mind has that kind of power over our bodies, then we can certainly also delude ourselves enough to have "felt" a ghost-touch. Which is also psychological, but in a whole different way. (And please know I'm not saying this is the case for any of us here in this thread, just bringing it up is all. )

Comment

Originally posted by Odahviing View Post

Of course there are also those whose beliefs are strong enough that they convince themselves that what they believe is true. Like the women who believe so strongly that they are pregnant their bodies actually begin to show signs of pregnancy.
                          My body enjoys doing this to me.

Comment

Working...
                          X