X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sexomnia

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
    Not that I paid much attention to it at the time, but I was thinking of news from the Wikileaks guy...
    Oh, yeah, that whole thing. I don't really remember the details about all that. I think the women dropped their charges against him?
    Anyway, the law as far as I know doesn't say much about condoms. But I suppose sex without a condom with someone who demands it can, depending on the circumstances, be considered sexual assault/rape/etc.

Comment

I'm also trying to figure out my feelings on this. One of my first questions is why hasn't this been seen before? They way I've seen it presented is as if it were a completely new finding. People have been sleep walking for years, so why is this new? That's why I want to call BS on it. I've taken several psychology courses, which is why I don't immediately dismiss it, but I need more information to form an opinion.

The articles and court cases aren't helping either. Last night I found a case where a woman was "violently" assaulted while she was asleep next to her husband while at a friend's house. How did her husband not wake up during the event if it was "violent"? The man was found not guilty on an insanity plea, which I do not agree with. If this is a real disorder that only happens while asleep, I do not agree that the person should be labeled as insane. Another case I heard of was after a party at a hotel, with a minor. Of course he has no recollection of what happened that night and there were no witnesses, other than the girl that was assaulted. These are very murky waters and there hasn't been much clarification that I have found.

Comment

Originally posted by Aakosir View Post
        How did her husband not wake up during the event if it was "violent"?
        Because he's that deeply asleep. I had a cousin that sleepwalked to the point of almost getting hit by cars because they lived on the highway. Lights, honking, etc--nothing woke him up until he was out of that stage of sleep. He once made it just shy of a mile to the 7-11 before the cops found him, trying to "shoplift"...since it was a super small town (seriously, a highway with a stop light at the crossroads, a church, a post office, a bar, and a 7-11) the cops had found him before and kept him from becoming a pancake, they knew what was going on. He woke up in the squad, parked in front of his house, and had no clue.

I don't doubt that this has happened, whether its in the news with court cases or not--until very recently in history, it was okay to rape your spouse. And in some cases, a partner might understand and go along with it...or have come up with other strategies to mitigate it and not say anything...or they could even be a super sound sleeper themselves and think its all a dream.

I think its difficult to say, but if the person has a history of sleep walking and other unusual behavior while asleep, its a possibility.

...also, NOVA has an interesting episode about dreams and sleep
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

During sleep, your brain secrets hormones (I'm not going to be real specific right now, but it's easy to research) which cause paralysis. If it did not do this, a person would act out everything he/she dreams (you've seen a dog's paws twitch during sleep? Dreaming of something, but largely paralyzed..).

In the case of sleep paralysis, a person regains some consciousness (but not all) while still under the influence of the paralyzingly hormones, and feels as if he/she is awake, but unable to move, which also causes a strange semi-dream state (which I, personally, have frequently experienced. It is not fun, and extremely frightening).

There are cases of people who, due to some circumstances (medical, genetic, situational, drug related), do not secrete this hormone, and these are the people who act out their dreams. If such a person dreams of, say, strangling a person, that person will, literally, strangle a person, if a person is within his/her grasp.

This is not the same as sleep walking or sleep talking. Sleep walking and sleep talking work by a different mechanism (or mechanisms, which I am not very conversant in), and are not related to dreams.

This is a medical reality.

However, whether it is applicable in a particular case needs to be proved in a court of law.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRaven View Post
            Unless they passed a law while I wasn't looking, no. Or rather, if she says "no condom, no sex" and her partner has sex with her anyway then, yes it would be, because then it would be without her consent. But then that would be rape in most countries.
            But it is rape if the woman isn't in a state to say yes, such as: Being drunk, drugged or asleep (partially or completely). Basically, if you have sex with a person (this law goes for all genders, not just women) who is not in a mental state where they are capable of giving consent, it's rape.
            Yep. This.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Odahviing View Post
            There's no such law here as thalassa mentioned a few posts above, at least not that I know of. We have pretty sucky laws concerning sexual abuse - in the last couple of years there have been a number of cases that the public gets outraged by. Not so long ago there was a guy that was acquitted of a pretty brutal and violent rape, and listen to this, because he "didn't understand she didn't want sex". The court admitted they ruled it was rape but couldn't prove that his intent was such... Although she was screaming and tried to flee and so on. Also I have a close friend who just now went through a sexual abuse case (I won't go into details) where the authorities are unsure as to if they can/will enforce their passed judgement upon the culprit... It's insane.
            We have a pretty strong feminist movement on the rise though. Much thanks to bullsh*t like these cases.
            I'm glad we have a Swede here to weigh in here!

Also, a bit off topic, but I love your country!

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
              Yep. This.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm glad we have a Swede here to weigh in here!

Also, a bit off topic, but I love your country!
              Hi hi, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                I don't doubt that this has happened, whether its in the news with court cases or not--until very recently in history, it was okay to rape your spouse. And in some cases, a partner might understand and go along with it...or have come up with other strategies to mitigate it and not say anything...or they could even be a super sound sleeper themselves and think its all a dream.
                This wasn't her husband that raped her. It was a friend, while she was in bed with her husband at said friend's house.

Comment

Originally posted by Aakosir View Post
                  This wasn't her husband that raped her. It was a friend, while she was in bed with her husband at said friend's house.
                  I wasn't talking about this story in particular--I was saying that I don't doubt that this has happened (for real, whether this event really occurred as a result of a sleep disorder or not) before/elsewhere.

And, TBH, if this is the case...as horrible as being raped is (and I say this as a rape survivor), he could have killed her--its happened before.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X