Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Help with Symbolism?

Hello Everyone!

I had a fascinating dream last night, that I would love to hear some comments/ideas about. It was a fairly long dream, so I won't attempt to get into it all, but there was one part which particularly struck me. I was lying in bed (in the dream) when I felt my cat jump up on the side of the bed and continue to walk around the pillow above my head. It wasn't until it reached the other side of me that I was able to look over and see that it was not my cat, but instead what appeared to be a beautiful Bengal cat. It looked almost lit-up from within, and I was so struck by how beautiful it was, when I heard a voice tell me to "follow the leopards". I then knew that it was actually a small leopard. (odd, I know, but somehow I just knew it was). It walked to join about 4/5 other leopards all lying in a row, looking extremely regal. The dream then shifted to show only one leopard left, wearing some sort of regal hat/crown. Then shifted again so that the leopard was now lying next to a baby fawn (I could tell from the spots that it was a fawn, not an adult deer). They both seem highly important and I made a point to remember it so that I could ask you guys about it later. My dream continued on for a little while, but it meandered down a different path. It's really the leopard part that I would love some help with.

I did some research on leopard symbolism, and to my surprise found that they are sometimes even related to Artemis (one of my goddesses) as they are seen as a top huntress. Also symbols of royalty, magic, nighttime and secrets. Deer are seen as symbols of grace, the fairy realm, the hunt, and the moon.

What do you guys think? There are definite similarities between the two meanings, yet at the same time they can be seen as the opposite - the hunter and the hunted. Yet in the dream I felt a companionship, not a danger between the two. Could this somehow be a message from my Goddess Artemis? She is often pictured with a stag.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling now and ask for advice. I would love to know what you guys think!

Re: Some Help with Symbolism?

Leopard and regal also ties to Mafdet in Egyptian lore. While she is most often seen as a panther there are times she was seen as a cheeta or leopard type feline. In art she is often depicted as the bed upon which pharaoh is laying or as the death bed. Her cultus was eventually replaced by that of Bastet.

Personally I would not equate a fawn to Artemis as she is associated with adult deer with full antlers. I am curious as to where you found Artemis associated to leopards as the closest I can think of is her Potnia Theron or Mistress of Animals persona where she might be holding a feline on one side but I've only seen it suggested as a leopard once. An image I've only seen really found at Orthia in Sparta where the leopard was not a recognized animal. The problem with the Potnia Theron aspect is it has never been fully accepted or proven to be related to Artemis as Mistress of Animals was applied to a number of goddess as well as an earlier supreme like goddess. Mistress of Animals was also an aspect of Ephesian Artemis and all the animal imagery that was engraved upon the torso of her body.

It should be noted that Cybele / Kybele is one of the earlier Mistress of Animals and her imagery uses felines to pull her chariot as well as associated with her. While most often it is a lion like feline leopard at times is also associated with her. Persephone is also listed as an early Mistress of Animals as well as fecundity of fields and herds along with her mother Demeter.

- - - Updated - - -

I would add that leopard and its spots is also often confused with or for the Cheetah in Africa and the Jaguar in South America. That and in Hellenic belief the leopard is a hybrid between the lion and panther and except for its spots maybe portrayed as a lion or panther. SO when you looking to antiquity a horse is not always a horse and a leopard is not always how we see a modern leopard.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Wow interesting.

Comment

i think dionysus has panthers and tigers as symbols... a panther is the same thing as a leopard i think, technically

Comment

Wow, monsno_leedra!

Thank you for all of that information! It was very interesting to read! My sorta secondary goddess is Bast. Perhaps it was related to her instead? Maybe I haven't given her enough attention lately...

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Aislin View Post
          i think dionysus has panthers and tigers as symbols... a panther is the same thing as a leopard i think, technically
          Really? I didn't know that. I always focused on the wine aspect of Dionysus

Comment

Working...
          X