• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emma Watson speaks at the UN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-iF...e_gdata_player

Thoughts?

Re: Emma Watson speaks at the UN

Yep those 3rd and 4th wave feminist will be screaming about this. About how she has sold them out.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
      Yep those 3rd and 4th wave feminist will be screaming about this. About how she has sold them out.
      Why?

She's absolutely right.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
        Why?

She's absolutely right.
        My thoughts exactly.

I follow a lot of feminist blogs and pretty much all of them are cheering her on and singing her praises. I consider myself a feminist, and I think she's spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
          I consider myself a feminist, and I think she's spot on.
          Ditto.

Also, hubby is more ardently feminist than I am.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Maybe, but who cares?

There will always be unreasonable people, and if Ms. Watson is willing to be the voice of reason, I say "Good for her!"
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Ditto.

Also, hubby is more ardently feminist than I am.
              Haha there are a lot more male feminists out there than people realize!

Comment

I think its because we differer in our philosophies. I'm more of an optimist--things will get better if we, ourselves, do better and act as an example. He's a cynic--we have to fight because things will never get better otherwise.

Also, as a female, I'm sort of like "Well that's just how it is...sure, it stinks, but if you can't suck it up you, can't make it better, these things take time and vigilance. Slow and steady wins the race. The arc of history (blah blah blah)" and he's more like "That's unacceptable! You shouldn't HAVE to suck it up! I wouldn't suck that up! Our daughter isn't just going to 'suck it up'! To arms, to battle!!"

The answer, as ususal, is somewhere between the two.
                sigpic

Comment

I think you would find, if the smoke and thunder clears, that they are in the majority.

At least, in my experience, that has been the case.

Most men really aren't pathetic enough to be afraid of women, any more than they are of other men.
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Why?

She's absolutely right.
                    Didn't say her idea and perspective wasn't right. Said the 3rd and 4th wave feminist who find everything misogynistic and try to put males down or out of the picture. Those who many times fall into the fem-nazi school and use their favorite terminology of manspeak. Where equality has long since faded from their arguments and other feminist talk how they've set the feminist movement back by years.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                      I think you would find, if the smoke and thunder clears, that they are in the majority.

At least, in my experience, that has been the case.

Most men really aren't pathetic enough to be afraid of women, any more than they are of other men.
                      I agree. I think that a lot fewer men -identify- as being feminists, but most fit the definition just fine.

Which is really why her speech and the initiative it promotes is so relevant.

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't say her idea and perspective wasn't right. Said the 3rd and 4th wave feminist who find everything misogynistic and try to put males down or out of the picture. Those who many times fall into the fem-nazi school and use their favorite terminology of manspeak. Where equality has long since faded from their arguments and other feminist talk how they've set the feminist movement back by years.
                      I don't think that sums up the majority of 3rd and 4th wave feminists or even most feminist media and blogs.

Comment

I don't think that sums up the majority of 3rd and 4th wave feminists or even most feminist media and blogs.
                        Ditto. And I think it completely misses the mark of what 3rd wave feminism is about (and I don't buy into the idea of a 4th wave--its still 3rd wave).
                        sigpic

Comment

Ditto. And I think it completely misses the mark of what 3rd wave feminism is about (and I don't buy into the idea of a 4th wave--its still 3rd wave).
                          I'd agree as well.

Sometimes, I wonder if such views of 3rd wave feminism don't stem from the few radicals kicking around and come from pre-existing prejudices. People who see feminists as "feminazis" seem likely to read too much into the commentary without thinking about what is being said and why. For example, I think there was a discussion on here about "rape culture" and it made me think that a lot of people don't really know what most feminists mean when they talk about rape culture.

Comment

I think shes spot on and proud to see a celeberity actually be a positive role model for a change. And it is long over due.

Comment

I'd agree as well.

Sometimes, I wonder if such views of 3rd wave feminism don't stem from the few radicals kicking around and come from pre-existing prejudices. People who see feminists as "feminazis" seem likely to read too much into the commentary without thinking about what is being said and why. For example, I think there was a discussion on here about "rape culture" and it made me think that a lot of people don't really know what most feminists mean when they talk about rape culture.
                              I'll get slammed for this but I can't let it pass.

You just presented better than I ever could the 3rd and 4th wave feminist. It's never a failure on your part its always someone else's failure. Didn't understand? To bad not our fault it's your fault for reading to much into it or not understanding. Don't agree, again never our fault, has to be because you had a pre-existing disposition or resistance towards it. Male your wrong. Female your wrong and don't understand. Equality, nah not about that for that means equality to everyone and can't have that. History doesn't work, no problem change it to make it work to show how your being held down or were being held down and its all a mans fought.

Even when Emma Watson points out that very fact in her speech about modern feminist and what the word actually means and how its created a us vs them mentality due to how its being pushed and presented.

Comment

Working...
                              X