Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the difference between ''Neopaganism'' and ''Paganism''.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the difference between ''Neopaganism'' and ''Paganism''.

I am guessing that ''Neopaganism'' is a modern view of paganism but really the definitions that I can find are contradictory. What is the difference? I must admit neopaganism seems interesting.

From Wikipedia:

''Modern paganism, also known as contemporary paganism, and neopaganism,[1] is a group of contemporary religious movements influenced by or claiming to be derived from the various historical pagan beliefs of pre-modern Europe.[2][3] Although they do share commonalities, contemporary Pagan religious movements are diverse and no single set of beliefs, practices, or texts are shared by them all.[4]

"Contemporary Paganism" as practiced in the United States in the 1990s has been described as "a synthesis of historical inspiration and present-day creativity",[5] Adherents rely on pre-Christian, folkloric and ethnographic sources to a variety of degrees; many follow a spirituality which they accept is entirely modern, whilst others attempt to reconstruct or revive indigenous, ethnic religions as found in historical and folkloric sources as accurately as possible.[6]Polytheism, animism, and pantheism are common features in Pagan theology.'

'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_paganism
    Last edited by MaskedOne; 24 Sep 2014, 21:09. Reason: removed wikipedia's styling

Re: What is the difference between ''Neopaganism'' and ''Paganism''.

Technically, all Pagans are Neo-Pagans. We're all following the modern rebirth of ancient religions, or recently created ones like Gardnerian-based Wicca. Even Reconstructionist Pagans are Neo in the sense that they aren't practicing an unbroken tradition.

Just think, there may be Neo-Christians in a few thousand years, too
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

But do all Neo-pagans follow rebirth of ancients religions? I've read that some Neo-Pagans - follwing individual path - build their own belief-system from scratches, picking up ideas and concepts (whether they are old or modern) that make sens to them and go on from there.

Sorry I am not well versed into Paganism, I've made an extensive Google research about Neo-Paganism but not all sources seem to agree on the specifics.

Comment

Neo-paganism from the Oxford English Dictionary
        "A modern religious movement which seeks to incorporate beliefs or ritual practices from traditions outside the main world religions, especially those of pre-Christian Europe and North America."

I think that finding a proper definition in this regard would be difficult. The example I like to use is the comparison of Catholics and Protestants. Both are Christian, but the Catholic faith is far older and often more traditional than Protestant churches.

Originally posted by Ophidia View Post
        Technically, all Pagans are Neo-Pagans...Pagans are Neo in the sense that they aren't practicing an unbroken tradition.
        Erm...begging your pardon, and meaning no offence, but Shinto was around for at least six recorded centuries, and perhaps much longer of unrecorded time, before Christianity, and it has been continuously practised since then without ceasing. There are also other Pagan religions are the same in their continuous practice.
        Sorry for making much ado about nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Wonder View Post
          But do all Neo-pagans follow rebirth of ancients religions? I've read that some Neo-Pagans - follwing individual path - build their own belief-system from scratches, picking up ideas and concepts (whether they are old or modern) that make sens to them and go on from there.
          This is what I do actually. I like 'building my own belief-system' so that it fits with the person I am. Pagans have been around for thousands of years and of course some of the old traditions have either been lost or are not practiced the way they used to be. Times change, people change and so do their traditions. We are not the same people with the same ways of living as our ancestors. We have developed ourselves and think differently than the people from a few hundred or thousand years ago.

No matter if you use the term Pagan of Neo-Pagan, you're still a Pagan. The Neo- part just adds that the traditions have changed with time up to the point where they are now. For example, Pagans do not usually sacrifice cows anymore to satisfy the gods, but do hold on to other rituals or activities that have been practiced since the beginning. To me the Neo- is a useless addition, since it's sort of logical that we are all modern time people.

Comment

Originally posted by LunarHarvest View Post
            Erm...begging your pardon, and meaning no offence, but Shinto was around for at least six recorded centuries, and perhaps much longer of unrecorded time, before Christianity, and it has been continuously practised since then without ceasing. There are also other Pagan religions are the same in their continuous practice.
            Sorry for making much ado about nothing.
            No, you're right. Shinto can be considered Pagan, as are many other indigenous shamanic & animistic practices. I was answering in the vein of the Wiki quote, referring to those of us who have picked up threads left long ago.

(Plus, I never know which direction to go in. Some people nitpick over individual religions (Shinto, Hindu, Vodou, etc.) being lumped together under the 'Pagan/Neo-Pagan' umbrella. I think you're the first who's ever mentioned Shinto as fitting in. I usually prefer to err on the conservative side & not name names).
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

One reason I always liked Isaac Bonewits' break down. Pale-Paganism, Meso-Paganism and Neo-Paganism. http://www.neopagan.net/PaganDefs.html It never really caught on but it was an interesting way to break down influences and such.
              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

There is no such thing as paganism, with a little-'p' as a religion or family of religions ...little-'p' "pagan"(unless one is starting a sentance, in which case, hopefully the reader understands the context of the statement) is a word to describe religious and spiritual traditions that are not Abrahamic. Properly used, it should always be an adjective...because otherwise you'd just be using the technically you ought to just call them the actual name of their religion--Shinto, or Buddhist, etc. Honestly, the word should just go out the window for these people, unless they practice the religon in a modern and/or eclectic way outside of the cultural context from which is arose, and we should just start saying "non-abrahamic" in its place.

Big-'P' Pagansims are all "neo" (hate that term), aka contemporary Paganisms. And it should be capitalized because it is accepted and used name of a family of religious traditions by a goody chunk (whether actively or reluctantly) of its adherents, just as Hinduism or Protestant is. Contemporary Paganisms can only be defined as a polythetic term, and tend to fall into a couple of set categories for most people that claim the name... There is no difference between being Pagan and being a contemporary Pagan (or what Ophidia said here "We're all following the modern rebirth of ancient religions, or recently created ones like Gardnerian-based Wicca. Even Reconstructionist Pagans are Neo in the sense that they aren't practicing an unbroken tradition.")
                Last edited by thalassa; 25 Sep 2014, 07:11.
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X