This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope to get some translation help.

Can't find any pagan buds IRL and attempts to meet like-minded individuals through Facebook-type media leads me to more chaos than anything else, and have finally dipped my toes in the water here after lurking for a little while now -- need help with some translation from English to Old Norse for a project I'm doing.

I know enough about language to know that typing into Babelfish does not always ==//== a correct translation, no matter how short the phrase may be.

"Live brave" with the meaning strongly aligned towards an air of "survive with vitality" if that makes any sense. Other phrases I've managed to string together with no big issue but this is an important one to me and so I'm fretting big that I don't get it wrong.

Re: Hope to get some translation help.

In Icelandic (which is still very close to Old Norse), 'live brave' translates as 'Lifandi hugrakkir.' 'Live bravely' is 'Lifa drengilega.' 'Live deliberately,' which seems very much like what you're getting at, is 'Lifa sviksamlega.'
    Last edited by Rick; 30 Sep 2014, 23:11.
    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
    Clan of my Clan
    Kin of my Kin
    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

'Lifa' is also the verb 'live' in Old Norse. There are several terms for brave, but I don't have enough knowledge of the grammar to be able to put them into a grammatically correct statement.

Have you tried looking in the Havamal for statements that fit your meaning? Rather than reinventing the wheel, it's worth looking for something that we already have an Old Norse translation for that is close to your desired meaning.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
        'Live deliberately,' which seems very much like what you're getting at, is 'Lifa sviksamlega.'
        You hit it on the head, dear, truly. Thanks so much -- exactly what I was looking for.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
        Rather than reinventing the wheel, it's worth looking for something that we already have an Old Norse translation for that is close to your desired meaning.
        Yeah, I usually try to go with something I already know for my projects, but this particular phrase has been calling to me for a while -- not just fearlessness but awareness, courage mindfulness, something that can connect to the same pull that leads me go cover.

Comment

Working...
        X