tips on writing your own spells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tips on writing your own spells

Hello! I am new-ish to the path, and I received a reading today that suggested I should focus on writing my own spells rather than copying others. Does anyone have any tips or resources on how to write effective spells? I know that I should utilize correspondences, but I'm not sure mostly about the way I would go about casting. Anything would be helpful, thank you!

Are you asking about the words? Because you mention correspondances...

Either way it comes down to intent. What you write doesn't have to rhyme or be beautiful prose, as long as you are clear what you are after. If making it rhyme helps you focus, thats great, but it's not the be-all and end-all.

Do you have any more specific questions? Good luck.
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Re: tips on writing your own spells

As Heka said, it's all about the intent and your ability to focus. When I dabbled a bit with Wicca, I always would use rhyme, as well as visualization of things in threes to help me out. I was always (and still am) rather informal about it, so never really bothered with corners, unless it was something that I felt needed it. It was my thought that spells are pretty much the same as a prayer, but with bells and whistles.
      "The streams called Ice-waves, those which were so long come from the fountain-heads that the yeasty venom upon them had hardened like the slag that runs out of the fire, - these then became ice; and when the ice halted and ceased to run, then it froze over above. But the drizzling rain that rose from the venom congealed to rime, and the rime increased, frost over frost, each over the other, even into Ginnungagap, the Yawning Void. Ginnungagap, which faced toward the northern quarter, became filled with heaviness, and masses of ice and rime, and from within, drizzling rain and gusts; but the southern part of the Yawning Void was lighted by those sparks and glowing masses which flew out of Múspellheim. Just as cold arose out of Niflheim, and all terrible things, so also all that looked toward Múspellheim became hot and glowing; but Ginnungagap was as mild as windless air, and when the breath of heat met the rime, so that it melted and dripped, life was quickened from the yeast-drops, by the power of that which sent the heat, and became a man's form. And that man is named Ymir, but the Rime-Giants call him Aurgelimir" - The Gylfaginning

Comment

When I first started to write my own spells I worked from ones already written and just changed them up a bit to make them more personal. It gave me a basic framework and also taught me a lot about what does and doesn't work for me.
        http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

-You should always know your goal. Don’t be modest about it, know EXACTLY what you want.
          - Colour and herb correspondence charts may be helpful for beginners, however colours and their place in magic is a personal feeling. Green for money isn’t going to work for you if you personally feel like wealth should be gol, for instance.
          - If all comes to it, take inspiration from music, movirs, folklore etc.
          - Start out writing simple spells, such as jar/bottle spells, then work your way up to more complex ones.
          - Always write your ideas down. Even if you don’t think you can make a spell out of it, it’s always good to jot down inspiration which may come in handy later.
          - Work out a spell structure that works (a beginning, middle and end).

Hope that helps you out!
          "By yarrow and rue, and my redcap too."

Comment

Working...
          X