Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different cosmologies, one path?

Hello all!

I have a question of curiosity today. There seem to be many cosmological views of the universe in different paths. Celtic paths often emphasize the Otherworld and the concept of land, sea, and sky, otherwise known as the three realms. However, the Norse have the World Tree and the nine realms. I'm sure there are many other concepts, I'm just using these as examples to different cosmological concepts in Pagan religion.

So, what would happen to the cosmology of a belief system in an instance where someone tried to follow a path that syncretized more than one tradition? How would someone make sense of being part of two paths with different cosmological outlooks?

Would they pick one and stay with it? Would they somehow blend the two in a way that makes sense to that individual? Or would they believe in both at the same time (Though honestly that just seems like it'd be extremely confusing)?

Thanks, hope this question stirs some thought!

Re: Different cosmologies, one path?

as an eclectic witch who has blended both Celtic and Norse traditions, I mostly stick to the Celtic cosmology of the three realms. however, I love the idea of the world tree and the nine realms as well. I've found that anything with multiples of three tends to work really well together. sometimes, a few aspects of one will blend over into the other for me.

I think that anyone who is going to blend multiple traditions together would simply have to think really hard about which aspects of each made the most sense to them. I picked one and I stick with it for the most part, except sometimes it gets blended with another one. that way makes the most sense to me, although someone else might do it differently.

Comment

Originally posted by chris_pagan View Post
      Hello all!

I have a question of curiosity today. There seem to be many cosmological views of the universe in different paths. Celtic paths often emphasize the Otherworld and the concept of land, sea, and sky, otherwise known as the three realms. However, the Norse have the World Tree and the nine realms. I'm sure there are many other concepts, I'm just using these as examples to different cosmological concepts in Pagan religion.

So, what would happen to the cosmology of a belief system in an instance where someone tried to follow a path that syncretized more than one tradition? How would someone make sense of being part of two paths with different cosmological outlooks?

Would they pick one and stay with it? Would they somehow blend the two in a way that makes sense to that individual? Or would they believe in both at the same time (Though honestly that just seems like it'd be extremely confusing)?

Thanks, hope this question stirs some thought!
      My solution to this is actually very simple. ALL the Otherworlds exist, as a series of worlds apart from this one. I actually don't believe that our physical world (Thisworld, as I call it) is one of the worlds in these cosmologies, but is a world which overlaps and interfaces with the cosmologies. For example, as someone who follows the Northern Tradition, Yggdrasil and the Nine Worlds is the cosmology that I interact with the most. Unlike many who follow a Northern path, I don't believe that Thisworld is Midgardhr, but that Thisworld is closely linked with Midgardhr, overlaps with it slightly and has anchor points in certain areas which make it easy to cross into Midgardhr under the right circumstances. I also think that certain Otherworlds overlap and link with each other... there is a possibility that that Norse and the Celtic Otherworlds have had some connection or overlap somewhere along the line, particularly in relation to the arrival of the Alfar (who bear a striking resemblance to the Sidhe).

I don't think there is one cosmology. I don't think that cosmologies and creation stories relate to Thisworld, but to the worlds of the deities who are worshipped. There is room in MY cosmology for thousands of Otherworlds, just as there is room in my cosmos for thousands of physical worlds.

Comment

I don't believe that we are all on different paths to the same place. I think there are different cosmologies, and perhaps some are compatible for mixing and matching and others are not. I don't know enough about them to be able to make that judgement.

However...if it it true that the point is spiritual growth, and perhaps there are more than one lifetime etc...then mixing/matching for the purpose of growth, as opposed to a specific end outcome after this particular earthy life, would make sense, as one could gain growth from each of the aspects of the path they have chosen.

or maybe the cosmologies do overlap enough that some blending/mixing creates no conflict at all.

Though I have my own path, I truly believe that there are others that are real and that their adherents will experience all that is held in those paths.

I really think that compared to many, maybe most, I am not spiritually evolved. I can't conceive of mixing pantheons etc, I wouldn't know where to begin.

Comment

Originally posted by Threshold View Post
          I don't believe that we are all on different paths to the same place. I think there are different cosmologies, and perhaps some are compatible for mixing and matching and others are not. I don't know enough about them to be able to make that judgement.

However...if it it true that the point is spiritual growth, and perhaps there are more than one lifetime etc...then mixing/matching for the purpose of growth, as opposed to a specific end outcome after this particular earthy life, would make sense, as one could gain growth from each of the aspects of the path they have chosen.

or maybe the cosmologies do overlap enough that some blending/mixing creates no conflict at all.

Though I have my own path, I truly believe that there are others that are real and that their adherents will experience all that is held in those paths.

I really think that compared to many, maybe most, I am not spiritually evolved. I can't conceive of mixing pantheons etc, I wouldn't know where to begin.
          I'm a bit confused by your answer. You are self identifying as a pantheist. Most of us, from my experience, tend to believe in religion and mythology as metaphors for the greater wholeness. But you believe there are legitimately separate spheres of spiritual and cosmological existence? How do you reconcile that with a belief that all things are god and there is no external higher power?

To the OPs point, I think that you can mix and match as you see fit. There may be non-human entities and energies that answer to the names of deities -- and I can't say for certain one way or the other, but I've got no evidence they care who you worship them with, with the exception of Judeo-Christian myths, who seem pretty particular about it. As such, why not mix and match realms and worlds? To me they are just names for things we can experience that may or may not be completely in our heads.

But like Dumbledore says (and I paraphrase) Just because its in your head doesn't make it not real.

Comment

Working...
          X