Oily Skin Remedies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oily Skin Remedies?

I have super oily skin lately. When I was in my early 20s, it was really dry, but over the past year or so it's been as oily as it was when I was 13. Part of it is probably because I'm off the pill, though it started before I stopped taking it.

I don't want to take any meds and I can't use anything expensive. Are there any good home remedies I can try?

Re: Oily Skin Remedies?

I've been having some luck with the oil cleansing method, using a mix of olive oil and castor oil everyday and just splashing my face with water once or twice later in the day.

Comment

I use Noxzema and the occasional oatmeal/mango/yogurt mask followed up by a citrus scrub. More from vanity than anything else, with the noxzema--my mom and grandma and great grandma used it religiously (at night, used it like a night creme) and have great skin that looks about 15 years younger than their age..
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

I know it feels gross, but isnt oilu skin gonna keep you looking younger for longer?
        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
        Seen the desert and the birds
        You cut your hair short
        Like a shush to an insult
        The world had been yelling
        Since the day you were born
        Revolting with anger
        While it smiled like it was cute
        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
          I know it feels gross, but isnt oilu skin gonna keep you looking younger for longer?
          Probably. I guess that's the upside. I just wish I could keep the shine and the pimples away!

Comment

I've been having extremely good luck with grapeseed oil. Grapeseed, safflower, poppyseed & sunflower oils are all extremely high in linoleic acid, which is supposed to help w/clogged pores & black-heads.

I start my shower or use a warm washcloth to kind of open my pores, massage in the grapeseed oil, take my shower like normal - and my face doesn't get oily for about 2 days. I've actually gotten to cut my showers down to every other day or every third day. I can't really attest to fewer black-heads, but my skin texture is softer & more matte instead of hard & shiny. The redness from my rosacea has also calmed down quite a bit. I'm not even using high-grade oil, just a bottle I got at a grocery store.

My hair doesn't like it, though. When I put any in my hair, when it dries it turns to straw :P
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Ophidia View Post
              I've been having extremely good luck with grapeseed oil. Grapeseed, safflower, poppyseed & sunflower oils are all extremely high in linoleic acid, which is supposed to help w/clogged pores & black-heads.

I start my shower or use a warm washcloth to kind of open my pores, massage in the grapeseed oil, take my shower like normal - and my face doesn't get oily for about 2 days. I've actually gotten to cut my showers down to every other day or every third day. I can't really attest to fewer black-heads, but my skin texture is softer & more matte instead of hard & shiny. The redness from my rosacea has also calmed down quite a bit. I'm not even using high-grade oil, just a bottle I got at a grocery store.

My hair doesn't like it, though. When I put any in my hair, when it dries it turns to straw :P
              Interesting! I have grapeseed oil in my cupboard!

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post

Probably. I guess that's the upside. I just wish I could keep the shine and the pimples away!
                Mineral foundation will help you get a more matte look. The pill helped me othewise.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

yeah I have some mineral foundation...I do use it, but I just want to get rid of the blemishes that come with the oily skin! I hate having acne again. I try washing my face regularly but it doesn't help at all.

I went off the pill because I was broke and I couldn't afford -any- extra expense. I still can't, but I vowed that if not being on the pill was a major problem for my health, I'd go back on it. I had normal periods for a year afterwards, but now the really bad pain is coming back, so I might go back on it.

Comment

(Okay I'll try to keep this post short and rant-free since this is one of my pet peeves/obsessions... In my opinion no skin remedy can do its job right unless the thing causing the problem is eliminated also.)

About mineral foundation; if you have oily skin and clogged pores I would recommend checking what ingredients are in your mineral products (or all products, for that matter).

First of all, if a product is based on/includes mineral oil - stop using it. Our skin can't break these oils down so all it does is make your skin *feel* soft and nourished while it in truth just clogs everything up.

Another ingredient to watch out for is bismuth oxychloride (which is a synthetic mineral and a *very* common ingredient in mineral makeup). I would avoid all products with this on the label as it is highly irritating for the skin, so irritating that it irritates even for those who don't have sensitive skin. So if your product contains it, all you are doing is using an irritant to cover up a blemish on already irritated skin. (One product I had that contained bismuth I had to stop using after only two days because my skin got splothcy, red and itchy... All over my face... It took months to get back to normal.)

Also, if you get oily skin easily, try to find powders and foundations that are based on corn/rice starch as opposed to talcum powder or nylon (yes, nylon is common in many products, as well as a pretty sizable list of different plastics).
                    Talcum powder will absorb oils and fats, yes, but it will also cling to the insides of pores - making the problem worse. It can even go so far as to induce inflammations as the skin tries to rid itself of the talcum but can't.
                    Avoid dimethicone (a type of silicone that the skin can't break down - same effect as mineral oils).
                    Oh, and also, avoid isopropyl (synthetic fat that also clogs pores up).

The list goes on. Many products that are marketed as mineral/natural/blabla are just good marketing. I don't know what the rules are all over the world but here in Sweden a product only has to be 2% (yes that's TWO PERCENT) mineral to be able to be marketed and sold as a "natural/mineral product".

And last but not least, when washing your face, try to avoid products that lather. Soaps and facial washes that lather will make oily skin worse due to the fact that the substances that lather (and get foamy) have a tendancy to go deeper into the skin than is good for it. These products will disrupt the balance of your skins natural grease barrier, dry it out and voila - to compensate for this your skin will produce even more oils to protect itself from drying out. Ergo oilier skin.
                    Last edited by Odahviing; 02 Oct 2014, 01:34.

Comment

Thanks for the tips! I'll look out for those ingredients. I'm not sure on the exact rules in Germany, but I think most laws with product labelling and ingredients are EU regulation, so they're probably either similar or the same :/

I do avoid lathering products because I have really sensitive skin and the stuff that creates lather really irritates it! I used to have a really flaky scalp, but it went away after I stopped using lathering shampoo.

I actually rarely wear makeup. I work from home, so I tend to just wash my face and leave it at that. I wear makeup when I go out though, so I'll start reading labels.

Comment

I don't wear make-up, except upon occasion. I just have oily skin, and I always have--so does pretty much everyone in my family. I've tried OCM, in several variations and it made me break out. Otherwise, I have very little blemish problems (outside of pregnancy and adolesence). The biggest culprit when I do, is a shared phone (or some similar item that touches my face) So, I clean the phone.
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

I think my blemish problems might be hormonal. My skin was getting oily again before I quit the pill, but the acne didn't start until a few months ago. I've always had wacky hormones :/

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                            The biggest culprit when I do, is a shared phone (or some similar item that touches my face) So, I clean the phone.
                            Yup, phones are baaad. So is touching your face if you live or work in a shared space.

I have a very bad habit of sleeping with my hand against my face, which means one side of my face will break out & be irritated constantly. I've tried all kinds of weird sleeping positions to try and stop myself, but short of tying that hand up, nothing seems to work. And if I wear a mitten or glove, I take it off in my sleep.
                            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                              I think my blemish problems might be hormonal. My skin was getting oily again before I quit the pill, but the acne didn't start until a few months ago. I've always had wacky hormones :/
                              We tried lots of things as a teen to stop the pimples. Re hegularing hormones with a pill helped. When I went on the rod instead my pimples came back.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                              Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment