Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oily Skin Remedies?

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

Oily Skin Remedies?

I have super oily skin lately. When I was in my early 20s, it was really dry, but over the past year or so it's been as oily as it was when I was 13. Part of it is probably because I'm off the pill, though it started before I stopped taking it.

I don't want to take any meds and I can't use anything expensive. Are there any good home remedies I can try?

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Left-handed Path; LHP

Re: Oily Skin Remedies?

I've been having some luck with the oil cleansing method, using a mix of olive oil and castor oil everyday and just splashing my face with water once or twice later in the day.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

I use Noxzema and the occasional oatmeal/mango/yogurt mask followed up by a citrus scrub. More from vanity than anything else, with the noxzema--my mom and grandma and great grandma used it religiously (at night, used it like a night creme) and have great skin that looks about 15 years younger than their age..
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Pagan - and heading North for a while...
    Phrase
    I am grounded, I am humble, I am one with everything.
    I know it feels gross, but isnt oilu skin gonna keep you looking younger for longer?
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

Quote Originally Posted by Heka View Post
    I know it feels gross, but isnt oilu skin gonna keep you looking younger for longer?
    Probably. I guess that's the upside. I just wish I could keep the shine and the pimples away!

Cannibal Rights Activist Ophidia's Avatar
    Aug 2008
    Religion
    Ophidism
    Phrase
    I like Nature, just not on me.

I've been having extremely good luck with grapeseed oil. Grapeseed, safflower, poppyseed & sunflower oils are all extremely high in linoleic acid, which is supposed to help w/clogged pores & black-heads.

I start my shower or use a warm washcloth to kind of open my pores, massage in the grapeseed oil, take my shower like normal - and my face doesn't get oily for about 2 days. I've actually gotten to cut my showers down to every other day or every third day. I can't really attest to fewer black-heads, but my skin texture is softer & more matte instead of hard & shiny. The redness from my rosacea has also calmed down quite a bit. I'm not even using high-grade oil, just a bottle I got at a grocery store.

My hair doesn't like it, though. When I put any in my hair, when it dries it turns to straw :P
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

Quote Originally Posted by Ophidia View Post
    I've been having extremely good luck with grapeseed oil. Grapeseed, safflower, poppyseed & sunflower oils are all extremely high in linoleic acid, which is supposed to help w/clogged pores & black-heads.

I start my shower or use a warm washcloth to kind of open my pores, massage in the grapeseed oil, take my shower like normal - and my face doesn't get oily for about 2 days. I've actually gotten to cut my showers down to every other day or every third day. I can't really attest to fewer black-heads, but my skin texture is softer & more matte instead of hard & shiny. The redness from my rosacea has also calmed down quite a bit. I'm not even using high-grade oil, just a bottle I got at a grocery store.

My hair doesn't like it, though. When I put any in my hair, when it dries it turns to straw :P
    Interesting! I have grapeseed oil in my cupboard!

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Pagan - and heading North for a while...
    Phrase
    I am grounded, I am humble, I am one with everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanieMarie View Post

Probably. I guess that's the upside. I just wish I could keep the shine and the pimples away!
    Mineral foundation will help you get a more matte look. The pill helped me othewise.
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

yeah I have some mineral foundation...I do use it, but I just want to get rid of the blemishes that come with the oily skin! I hate having acne again. I try washing my face regularly but it doesn't help at all.

I went off the pill because I was broke and I couldn't afford -any- extra expense. I still can't, but I vowed that if not being on the pill was a major problem for my health, I'd go back on it. I had normal periods for a year afterwards, but now the really bad pain is coming back, so I might go back on it.

Sep 2014
    Religion
    Northern one-thing-or-the-other.

(Okay I'll try to keep this post short and rant-free since this is one of my pet peeves/obsessions... In my opinion no skin remedy can do its job right unless the thing causing the problem is eliminated also.)

About mineral foundation; if you have oily skin and clogged pores I would recommend checking what ingredients are in your mineral products (or all products, for that matter).

First of all, if a product is based on/includes mineral oil - stop using it. Our skin can't break these oils down so all it does is make your skin *feel* soft and nourished while it in truth just clogs everything up.

Another ingredient to watch out for is bismuth oxychloride (which is a synthetic mineral and a *very* common ingredient in mineral makeup). I would avoid all products with this on the label as it is highly irritating for the skin, so irritating that it irritates even for those who don't have sensitive skin. So if your product contains it, all you are doing is using an irritant to cover up a blemish on already irritated skin. (One product I had that contained bismuth I had to stop using after only two days because my skin got splothcy, red and itchy... All over my face... It took months to get back to normal.)

Also, if you get oily skin easily, try to find powders and foundations that are based on corn/rice starch as opposed to talcum powder or nylon (yes, nylon is common in many products, as well as a pretty sizable list of different plastics).
    Talcum powder will absorb oils and fats, yes, but it will also cling to the insides of pores - making the problem worse. It can even go so far as to induce inflammations as the skin tries to rid itself of the talcum but can't.
    Avoid dimethicone (a type of silicone that the skin can't break down - same effect as mineral oils).
    Oh, and also, avoid isopropyl (synthetic fat that also clogs pores up).

The list goes on. Many products that are marketed as mineral/natural/blabla are just good marketing. I don't know what the rules are all over the world but here in Sweden a product only has to be 2% (yes that's TWO PERCENT) mineral to be able to be marketed and sold as a "natural/mineral product".

And last but not least, when washing your face, try to avoid products that lather. Soaps and facial washes that lather will make oily skin worse due to the fact that the substances that lather (and get foamy) have a tendancy to go deeper into the skin than is good for it. These products will disrupt the balance of your skins natural grease barrier, dry it out and voila - to compensate for this your skin will produce even more oils to protect itself from drying out. Ergo oilier skin.
    Last edited by Odahviing; 02 Oct 2014 at 01:34.