This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Getting rid of household pests...

[quote author=PharaohKatt link=topic=1037.msg28258#msg28258 date=1294838371]
    I'm happy to move them, but He really can't stand to be near them (phobia). Our cats take care of the other crawlies, and they get the spiders too if I'm not around to rescue them.
    We also get red backs in summer, which I really DON'T want near the house, or near me. The one spider I don't like.
    [/quote]

If I remember right, there is some sort of gourd that is like a repelant to spiders. I asked someone what they were in the grocery story cause they didn't have a label and they said they were to repel spiders. I don't know exactly what it was though.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

i heard paprika drives ants away but have not tested it. but this next one comes from my grandpa. We had a field that we tried to plant food in but each time something would come up deer would come and eat it. Gramps who got the idea from Grams went to the local barber and took human hair and put it all over the field. the deer stopped coming.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

The best killer for fleas... is the cold hard winter... and also not using stuff made of textiles or carpet like. Because those products are full of holes, and a hole somewhere = a home for some bug. Clean also the bed sheets, clothes and spray the mattresses in one round.

Comment

Any ideas for wasps? Short of killing them, cause bombs work for that.
          We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
          -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I've been invaded by fruit flies and can't seem to get rid of the little bastards! Any advice? I tried the "rotten banana in a ziploc" thing and it totally didn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
              I've been invaded by fruit flies and can't seem to get rid of the little bastards! Any advice? I tried the "rotten banana in a ziploc" thing and it totally didn't work.
              Ugh! My sympathies.

First, you have to find their source. They usually need a wet, breeding ground of sorts. This is usually a drain (hence why they're sometimes called "drain flies"). If you have a stopper, keep it covered unless the sink is in use. You will have to do this for a few weeks since they multiply almost exponentially. Before you put the stopper back on, remember to run piping hot water down your drain.

Once you've gotten rid of the main source (or as I like to call "the hive") you can use the tricks like fruit in a jar and whatnot. Just dispose of it regularly because they'll start laying eggs over the holes you poke (I kid you not. I've experience this).
              my etsy store
              My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
              surrounded by plush, downy things,
              ill prepared, but willing,
              to descend."

Comment

Something my gramps did ... Wipe honey on the inside of a jar ... Put a fruit in the jar ... Punch one little hole in the lid (big enough for the pest to get thru tho) ... Wipe underside of the lid with honey ... Screw down lid and wait ... Bugs get stuck in the honey ...

Best to hang it tho, so ants don't get lured in ...
                I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

We get slaters in the bathroom. I don't know where they are coming from but they are ugly (harmless, but ugly) wee things and I don't want them crawling on my floor. Any ideas? x
                  "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

Originally posted by FantasyWitch View Post
                    We get slaters in the bathroom. I don't know where they are coming from but they are ugly (harmless, but ugly) wee things and I don't want them crawling on my floor. Any ideas? x
                    I'm guessing you mean roly polies and not roofers (had to look that up and had quite the interesting results).

Honestly? Spiders. A few house spiders are perfect for this (just make sure they aren't poisonous). Otherwise you could do what I did as a toddler: eat them.
                    my etsy store
                    My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                    surrounded by plush, downy things,
                    ill prepared, but willing,
                    to descend."

Comment

I didn't know about the drain thing. Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by FantasyWitch View Post
                        do you mean those little bugs that look like mini armadillos? We ge those in the porch, but never seen them inside.
                        Yesterday I saw a silver-fish in the bathroom....very gross! It is dead now, but I am wondering if there are others
                        What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

silverfish I think are the absolute worst, in terms of grossing me out...

just thinking about them gives me the heebee jeebees
                          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
                            I'm guessing you mean roly polies and not roofers (had to look that up and had quite the interesting results).

Honestly? Spiders. A few house spiders are perfect for this (just make sure they aren't poisonous). Otherwise you could do what I did as a toddler: eat them.
                            Ohhh yeah I love spiders! I let them live in my house...luckily we don't really have poisonous spiders here.

Comment

We had an infestation of both fleas and ants a couple of years ago. None of the conventional methods worked, so I cursed the buggers with some help from Tiw (Anglo-Saxon god of war). Now I know that a lot of people aren't down with cursing, but hey, it worked (so far!).

I've since found out that ants hate vinegar, so if they appear again I'll spray some around the house (they keep nesting in the foundations and the council will charge us to get them removed by a professional, as they don't pose a hygiene risk).
                              "The Germans do not think it in keeping with the divine majesty to confine gods within walls or to portray them in the likeness of any human countenance. Their holy places are woods and groves, and they apply the names of deities to that hidden presence which is seen only by the eye of reverence." (Tacitus, `Germania', 9)

Comment

Originally posted by PharaohKatt View Post
                                Another common pest: cockroaches *bleh*
                                Hate hate hate them!

Cockroaches hate salt, so placing rock salt around the place is a great way to keep them out. Also good if you have small children, since they won't be harmed by eating the salt (as opposed to bait) Either that or get a cat :P

Oh, and snails. Crushing up egg shells and outgun them on the garden keeps slugs and snails away. They can't slide over them because it cuts their bodies up, but the eggs don't harm your plants. (salt also works, but is a horrible idea on a garden :P)
                                Going to tell my dad about the eggshell thing for his garden. He grows lettuce and there are slugs in it every year! And I didn't know that about the salt, either. We get the occasional roach in here...that is good to know.:B):

Comment

Working...
                                X