Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rune of the week/month... anyone interested?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rune of the week/month... anyone interested?

If MO is willing to edit then I'm all for the one thread thing, my only real beef against was that it could be difficult finding stuff after a while but since having the first post as an index will eliminate that lest keep it all together.

About the lecturing I shall try to contain myself :XD:. Well in this case most of my knowledge is based on personal experience rather than research/lore so it may differ from what the rest of you have.
    Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
      My personal vote as a lurker is to keep it one thread and I'm willing to bribe people to do so by turning the first post into an index and editing (why yes, mod edit powers are awesome, why do you ask ) in a link to the page where discussion on each specific rune starts so you don't have to search the thread.
      Well that was an easy sell!

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
        Well that was an easy sell!
        Benefit of spending time on a forum with a lot of fanfiction, I know exactly how useful indexes are.

My only request is that the first post not be extremely long. I'm pretty sure that I can't edit a post over the character limit so I will need space to fit links in.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I can help out mostly with the Anglo-Saxon runes if you want.
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Perhaps separate threads for different rune groups? Like the elder futhark gets one, the anglo-saxon one, etc. *flies away*

Comment

Originally posted by Odahviing View Post
              Perhaps separate threads for different rune groups? Like the elder futhark gets one, the anglo-saxon one, etc. *flies away*
              Actually this sound like a pretty good idea.
              Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

I would definitely be interested in such a thing. I'd definitely be more of silent bystander though as I don't know much about runes yet, but am always wanting to learn as much as I can about whatever I can get my hands on.

Comment

I like this idea. While I may be able to chime in from time to time with the other sets, I pretty much only know and have worked with the Elder Futhark.

Comment

I think its an interesting idea .
                    Knowledge is the key to eternity. Not bowing before a deity not grovling at the feet of a messiah. Knowledge is power beyond mesure - satanic witch

Comment

I thought about this, but I'm a bit worried about the repetition and the spread of traffic. I have extensive experience only in the Elder Futhark, though I know the basics of the others. If we had three separate threads (to cover the Big 3), would people post in all of them? Or would we end up with most of us in the Elder Futhark thread and then (hypothetically), Mrs P alone with the crickets in the Anglo Saxon thread? And would anyone be in the Younger Futhark thread?

This is a hard one for me, because I am very much one of those rune vitkis who separates the futharks/orc out rather strictly. But I wonder if this is the right way to go here? I would be happy in this case to start each new rune section with the name of the rune, using the Elder Futhark as a base, then with the closest Younger Futhark and Anglo Saxon Futhorc runes also listed. Then people can comment on the rune that they have experience with. And if anyone uses a different set, they could comment with the ones that are closest in nature. At the end I would then post up the extra AS runes on their own, and we could explore those together. Or I include them in my randomised pick-a-rune so that they are spread around and don't get forgotten at the end.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                      My only request is that the first post not be extremely long. I'm pretty sure that I can't edit a post over the character limit so I will need space to fit links in.
                      I would make the first post the Index only. Then wait an hour or ask someone to break-post, THEN post up the first rune. That way it doesn't get all mixed up.

I would also make each New Rune Post a very basic introduction, then most my own input separately.

Comment

Works for me, my only needs for indexing are enough characters free that I can keep adding links.
                        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

Either way I think will be fine, as long as it happens.
                          Admittedly getting a little excited.

Comment

Personally I think it would be a good idea to keep the different futhorcs/futharks together. There are similarities and differences and maybe by exploring these we can get a better viewpoint.

I should confess here though, that I am in the midst of writing a book on the Anglo-Saxon runes, and I really don't want anyone thinking I am trying to take advantage or pick others' brains. My research is mostly done. I did - along the way - pick up some very interesting stuff on the other futharks, so may be able to chip in here when we discuss them.

Fart runes, anyone???
                            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Rune of the Month thread...

I will post the first one up tomorrow so that it doesn't edit onto my intro post.

MO... I have written all the names as an index list, so you will just have to add the link to the existing text when you are ready. The index list is in the order that the Futhark/orcs are, but I will chose runes at random. I figured it was be easier to use and index that was in proper order rather than all jumbled.

Comment

Coolness, a breaker is in place if you have a post written and just didn't want to catch a post merge.

Comment

Working...
                                X